Roll Back Discussion

Swango1980

Visit site
A tad over the top?
DeChambeau, who is among the longest hitters in the game, told the LIV Golf website: "I think it is the most atrocious thing you could do to the game of golf.” ’
I guess when you've recently become the Team Captain of a team called the Crushers, the reaction in to be expected :)

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There's a course down in Devon, called Caymen golf, Played it a few times when down that way, balls only go 25% of a real golf ball, so the course only takes up small area

The Cayman ball was originally made for the course on the Cayman Isle (Jack Nicklaus and Co designed and built) and you are only allowed to play that ball there.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
The Cayman ball was originally made for the course on the Cayman Isle (Jack Nicklaus and Co designed and built) and you are only allowed to play that ball there.
I think there was one in Canada too that used its own ball, Volvik I think it was called had one ofvtue balls and it went nowhere

Visit site
FrSX1gxXwAk_kjh

An interesting image taken from Twitter.

St Andrews - showing the current "back" tees for the pros vs the previous green locations.

I guess, the argument FOR the changes are that not all courses have the resources/land to actually achieve this. And that renders them unable to host pro events. The course needs to be like 7000+.

But I am inclined to agree with Justin Thomas. The game of golf does not benefit from any of this. It's solving a problem that doesn't really exist or is being managed accordingly by lengthening of courses etc.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Without reading all previous posts I apologise if this has been said.

The word being used is 'Bifurcation' where Tour Pros have different rules with respect to playing equipment.

evemccc

Visit site
Without reading all previous posts I apologise if this has been said.

The word being used is 'Bifurcation' where Tour Pros have different rules with respect to playing equipment.

I’m all for bifurcation - I think people are deluding themselves if they think they’re playing the same courses with the same set-up as the pros have

Swango1980

Visit site
I’m all for bifurcation - I think people are deluding themselves if they think they’re playing the same courses with the same set-up as the pros have
Actually, for anyone that watches pro golf, I'm pretty sure we all know we don't play the same courses as the pros. They are quite a bit better than us. And, I'm glad they don't play the same courses as us with dumbed down equipment. If they did play the same courses, I'd want to see them go round in sub 60. At my last course, there would be 6-7 driveable par 4's and 2 par 5's for them to enjoy

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Have they announced how they are actually going to do it.

What is the physics behind it?

the testing procedure for the ball will change. currently, the ball can’t travel further than 317 yards (+3 yards for tolerance) when swung at 120mph. There are some other launch conditions like spin and launch angle included too

the new balls would be able to go no further than 317 yards (+3 for tolerance) when swung at 127mph.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Have they announced how they are actually going to do it.

What is the physics behind it?
It's all about the ball. Presumably they will take a few dimples off the ball, enlarge them, reduce them etc. In effect, reverse engineer the improvements of recent years.

When you see the tech, air flow, compression etc, it can't be hard to make them slightly less efficient than they were before. They have set down parameters post #437, just tweak the dimples until they hit them 🤷‍♂️

D

Deleted member 1147

A tad over the top?
DeChambeau, who is among the longest hitters in the game, told the LIV Golf website: "I think it is the most atrocious thing you could do to the game of golf.” ’

The most atrocious?
I'm sure there are worse things! ... and I'm not refering to LIV 😁

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Jeez this thread moves quick!

Just my tuppence on the subject…..

Although some people are saying the ball goes too far now, I don’t think that is what this mlr is about. The bigger problem will be in 20 years time when current trends suggest it will be going another 20 yards.

I think if this ends up being put in place, most tours will adopt it. If a hole plays great the way it is now and you then use a ball that goes 15 yards less - move the tees forwards 15 yards. Not rocket surgery. If the tee is already as far back as it can go what are you going to do in the future when the ball goes further than now if nothing is done to halt the trend?

“Regular” golfers will never have to use the new ball, although no doubt some will try it.