Road trip update

MikeH

Content Director
Staff member
Visit site
Afternoon all
I'm typing this from the clubhouse at Dundonald on day 3 of the road trip. If you have a look at our twitter page you'll see the weather is fantastic http://twitter.com/GolfMonthly

The odyssey started well on Friday with an easy drive up to Hoylake in the Range Rover Sport which is simply immense. Finding new features all the time. My current favourites are the cool box in the armrest and the adaptive cruise control which meant that I didn't need to touch the gas or the brake for best part of 100 miles.

Friday's golf was of a mixed standard - 29 points wasn't a disgrace (although the shermans I hit on two of the par 3s were) and my team mates in the Liverpool Uni alumni day were on fire so I rather sheepishly joined them at the prize table for best team. We scored 88 points with 2 scores counting on each hole. Think I came in on all of 3 holes! Weather was kind too - it was raining when I arrived so put waterproofs on but it stopped as I walked to the 1st. Bright sunshine by the 5th hole!

The evening was great fun - dinner in the clubhouse talking golf.

Saturday dawned with even better weather - not a cloud in the sky for the April Stableford at Hoylake. My golf got better - but only just - 30 points but had three blobs in that. Another unmentionable into a patch of thick rough at the 11th Hole is still in my mind now!

Saturday night was spent out in Southport with one marketing mangaer for Englands's Golf Coast which takes in everywhere from Hoylake Caldy, Heswall and Wallasey on the Wirral up to Silloth on Solway - a better stretch of golf coast you wont find. I stayed at the excellent new Ramada Plaza on the Prommenade and had a great room with a view out to the Irish Sea

This morning I was up bright and early for the next leg of the trip up to Ayrshire in Scotland. The road were empty and the skies blue so it was a very enjoyable drive up in the Range Rover. The journey took just three and half hours. The scenery through the Lake District and the Scottish Borders really is jaw dropping - my favourite stretch is up the M74 in Lanarkshire

Off out to play at Dundonald in about 40 minutes. Will let you know how I get on later.

Hope everyone has been able to get out for a game this weekend and enjoy the good weather which i think we're all having

jammydodger

Tour Winner
Visit site
It would be nice to play your best golf but it really doesnt matter much on trips like these. Sounds like the range rover is proving a hit , bloody great tanks that they are.

Enjoy the sun and keep that hat on

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
If your game does give up the ghost Mike, maybe we could just spend wednesday taking turns in the Range Rover at the beach instead. :D

Pretty nice still here, Wirral way, prob even better than last few days actually and it gives good weather right through untill Thursday.

OOOh looking forward to it now, more practice tonight.

How is the course? My pro played it a few weeks back and said it wasn't quite 'ready' for the season.

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
Mike, you have landed lucky with the weather. I have been sat out the back yard since 1 oclock sipping cold brewskis in between cutting the grass and trimming the conifers and the thermometer has nudged 18* and getting warmer. We usually get our highest temps about 5pm so am off outside to open another.

Later !!!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Its good to see that our GM Guru is holding up to the punishing schedule and that the RR is giving him hours of fun with new gizmos to explore and enjoy. Hang in their Mike, I know it must be tought to have this car at your disposal and all this golf on top courses to play. We feel your pain and are all rooting for you to come through this and return to the normality of life on the 9th floor amongst those nobel gentleman anglers a few desks down.

Andy

Tour Winner
Visit site
Mike

You should have given me a shout for Dundonald, some guys get all the luck.

Hope the cruise control never veered over 70mph?

Andy

HarryMonk

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Those Range Rover Sports are a great bit of kit, loads of room and so confotable, supurb for long drives and to be fair the fuel economy is not that bad.

Glad to hear you are having a good time on and off the course.

MikeH

Content Director
Staff member
Visit site
oh dear, all went west at Dundonald. 21 points. Didn't hit the ball that badly but some crazy pin positions on greens that slope a lot. I putted off 3 greens. !st hole 3 jabbed 2nd hole I was pin high with approach putted off then putted into a bunker, splashed out but the ball only got to the top of the greenside slope and it ran back into the bunker. Splashed out, two putts...put me down for an 8 please. Continued in the same vein for the entire front 9 - had 6 points

Tony, Hoylake is pretty good. Tees and fairways perfect - all the bunkers are back in play after massive winter overhaul. The greens are a bit patchy (need more rain) but its the Cheshire Ladies Champs this week so Craig the links manager will have them putting nicely I'm sure.

I'm off to Turnberry in a bit. Will most definitely be heading to the putting green before I go out to play!

rgs

Tour Rookie
Visit site
oh dear, all went west at Dundonald. 21 points. Didn't hit the ball that badly but some crazy pin positions on greens that slope a lot. I putted off 3 greens. !st hole 3 jabbed 2nd hole I was pin high with approach putted off then putted into a bunker, splashed out but the ball only got to the top of the greenside slope and it ran back into the bunker. Splashed out, two putts..

Mike should have declared the ball unplayable and took the putt again, definitely would have saved 2 shots.