RIP Colin Bell

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Great player. Wonder if they'll now name one of the ends at the stadium after him …….

They have, when the City fans were asked to name a stand the Utd fans hijacked the vote so a stand could be called the “ Bell end” ?

Last edited:

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As a kid, even though I was a mad keen United fan, I lived and breathed football and idolised players from numerous clubs. Colin Bell was one such player. A modest man. An artist on the pitch and wonderful to watch.
RIP Nijinsky.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Funny that I can recall quite clearly his photo on the football cards we boys used to collect back in the day. And to be honest I am not sure that I can recall very many. For me (yet another 'looking from a distance' Scot) to have that recollection suggests he must have been quite some player back then.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 18588

"Hi ho! Hi ho!
We're off to Mexico,

With Bell and Lee and Summerbee,
Hi Ho! Hi Ho!"

Strangely I had been whistling that just this last weekend.

Colin Bell, what a player. Just seemed to glide across the pitch head up as a good player should.

May he rest in peace.

Last edited by a moderator:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Very gifted player that should have had many more seasons at the top. Like all good players he had the ability to seem within tackling distance (and even out of range - it didn't stop some cloggers back then) and then glide away with the ball at his feet

wrighty1874

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I had the privilege of chatting to him once when I worked at Butlins in Bognor Regis 40 years ago. He had a football coaching school and he was in the bar I worked at. Lovely bloke and modest.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Nice touch last night, they piped through applause at the 8 minute mark, his shirt number. Very thoughtful.

The local news showed a clip of him scoring a goal for City, he was a Co.Durham lad apparently. There wasn't a blade of grass on the pitch, all mud. You really have to admire the skill of players from past eras who played on quagmires and still performed at such a high level.

Tashyboy

Visit site
Nice touch last night, they piped through applause at the 8 minute mark, his shirt number. Very thoughtful.

Missed that ☹️

Rang me dad to say Colin Bell had died. He says “ oh dear, tell yer mum” so I told her. She says “ where does he live, in the village“. ? “ no mum I says probably Manchester”. She thought I was on about someone in the village ?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Missed that ☹️

Rang me dad to say Colin Bell had died. He says “ oh dear, tell yer mum” so I told her. She says “ where does he live, in the village“. ? “ no mum I says probably Manchester”. She thought I was on about someone in the village ?
That's mums for you :D.

I suspect if fans were still going to matches then you would have sold thousands of retro number 8 shirts this week. It would have looked good.

Tashyboy

Visit site
That's mums for you :D.

I suspect if fans were still going to matches then you would have sold thousands of retro number 8 shirts this week. It would have looked good.
Ave got a signed City shirt with Bell, Lee and Summerbee. The one with the badge in the middle. It’s me pride of Joy. Last Night, Missis T pulls out a signed photo of those three a pal gave me a couple of years ago signed on Marcella cruises. Got to find me a nice frame for that to go in.
Heard a comment the other day where someone said Colin Bell and KDB are very similar in the way they play but also there quiet personalities. Rare praise indeed.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Just watched an old programme called Dirty Rotten Scoundrels which was about the 1971/72 season. Colin Bell scored a couple of beauties.

It was interesting to hear Mike Summerbee saying that signing Rodney Marsh midway thru the season basically cost City the league.

Tashyboy

Visit site
Just watched an old programme called Dirty Rotten Scoundrels which was about the 1971/72 season. Colin Bell scored a couple of beauties.

It was interesting to hear Mike Summerbee saying that signing Rodney Marsh midway thru the season basically cost City the league.

if memory serves me right, Malcolm Allison was adamant that City pay £200k for Marshy. His arrival cost City the title, not that Derby complained. Allison returned for a second stint at City without Joe Mercer. Without Mercer’s guidance and firm hand Allison was an unchecked Maverick. The start of City’s demise among a lot of City’s fans lays firmly at Malcolm Allison.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
if memory serves me right, Malcolm Allison was adamant that City pay £200k for Marshy. His arrival cost City the title, not that Derby complained. Allison returned for a second stint at City without Joe Mercer. Without Mercer’s guidance and firm hand Allison was an unchecked Maverick. The start of City’s demise among a lot of City’s fans lays firmly at Malcolm Allison.
QPR replaced Marsh with Stan Bowles from Carlisle and banked £90,000. Think I know who got the best deal.:whistle:

Tashyboy

Visit site
QPR replaced Marsh with Stan Bowles from Carlisle and banked £90,000. Think I know who got the best deal.:whistle:

just had a read about Marshy. His maverick lifestyle is why he will never have legendary status. However his Bessie pal George best.