Right leg position at the top of the backswing

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
If you think Phil is straighetning his back leg in the backswing then I suggest a visit to Specsavers ;)

Interesting.

From the vid you posted....
S4HXp7i.gif

It's actually impossible to tell what's going on from just the side view which is why those pics in the original post are misleading. To know what knee flex he has we need to know how the orientation of his leg changed ie has his leg simply rotated so the 'flex' appears hidden from a DTL view. In terms of general web garbage about legs straightening - the pic above would qualify in the yes camp as YES his trail leg is straighter than it was at address (moved backwards 5-6cm), thefore it is straightening (not STRAIGHTENED) and/or has lost some flex.

Last edited:

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Whether it's straightened a little, straightening is a little complex for me. I just stand by my opinion that a straight back leg in the backswing creates the wrong angles.

Unless you are a S&T type Golfer.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Your post is just confusing and contradictory! Most world class players don't straighten out their back legs.

If you think Phil is straighetning his back leg in the backswing then I suggest a visit to Specsavers ;)

[video=youtube;ISYYkjiwzDk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISYYkjiwzDk[/video]

I've never suggested 'most' world class players straighten their back legs. I merely suggest it's not something to get particularly obsessed with! That doesn't seem confusing, nor contradictory to me.

I believe that was Phil's 'changed' swing (as per Kostis's comment from 50 secs) prior to the tournament. Note there are no spectators etc.

Here's a comparison of the swing he actually used during that tournament (a few days later) and one from 5 years earlier. Both have a straight back leg - his tournament swing appears to be his 'old' swing - the one he won 3 majors with, including a couple of Masters.

So he certainly has swung with a straightened back leg. Wayne de F comments on several 'unique' aspects of Phil's swing, but doesn't mention his back leg, so doesn't seem too great an issue for him.

Specsavers won't be getting my custom for a while yet!

Btw. The exclusion of S&T players is another cop-out. Weight shift notwithstanding, they would still have the same, or very similar, issues with angles and turning/coiling as a 'weight-shifter'.

Last edited:

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I've never suggested 'most' world class players straighten their back legs. I merely suggest it's not something to get particularly obsessed with! That doesn't seem confusing, nor contradictory to me.

I believe that was Phil's 'changed' swing (as per Kostis's comment from 50 secs) prior to the tournament. Note there are no spectators etc.

Here's a comparison of the swing he actually used during that tournament (a few days later) and one from 5 years earlier. Both have a straight back leg - his tournament swing appears to be his 'old' swing - the one he won 3 majors with, including a couple of Masters.

So he certainly has swung with a straightened back leg. Wayne de F comments on several 'unique' aspects of Phil's swing, but doesn't mention his back leg, so doesn't seem too great an issue for him.

Specsavers won't be getting my custom for a while yet!

Btw. The exclusion of S&T players is another cop-out. Weight shift notwithstanding, they would still have the same, or very similar, issues with angles and turning/coiling as a 'weight-shifter'.

So you're not out? :rolleyes:

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Changing direction slightly.

The effect of straightening or not straightening the trail leg will have a knock on effect on how the hips move and turn through the swing.

One way more detrimental than the other when it comes to how the hips move?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
So you're not out? :rolleyes:

I naturally reserve the right to re-enter to reply to insults! Not something I normally need!

Changing direction slightly.

The effect of straightening or not straightening the trail leg will have a knock on effect on how the hips move and turn through the swing.

One way more detrimental than the other when it comes to how the hips move?

Depends on the person and what movement of the hips (backward; forward etc) you are after. It's more likely to be restrictive than adding flexibility imo though - which may be part of why it's done.

I think you may be starting to build a swing 'out of spare parts'! That doesn't seem like a good idea to me! I believe the swing should be either created as a flowing entity (anew) or by tweaking particular areas of an existing one in order to iteratively improve it.

Last edited:

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I naturally reserve the right to re-enter to reply to insults! Not something I normally need!

Depends on the person and what movement of the hips (backward; forward etc) you are after. It's more likely to be restrictive than adding flexibility imo though - which may be part of why it's done.

I think you may be starting to build a swing 'out of spare parts'! That doesn't seem like a good idea to me! I believe the swing should be either created as a flowing entity (anew) or by tweaking particular areas of an existing one in order to iteratively improve it.

Not at all.

I'm just curious to see peoples' thoughts on the subject. Clearly from what I've read, there are differing schools of thought. Pro's and con's for both

I'm just curious to hear both sides.

It's something my pro has me working on just now. I've had his views on the subject matter and found it interesting enough to post up on here for debate.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Not at all.

I'm just curious to see peoples' thoughts on the subject. Clearly from what I've read, there are differing schools of thought. Pro's and con's for both

I'm just curious to hear both sides.

It's something my pro has me working on just now. I've had his views on the subject matter and found it interesting enough to post up on here for debate.

As I've mentioned elsewhere, he's the guy that should have the plan, so trust him - but make sure he knows your capabilities - or the lack of them! Don't let him try to get you to do things that your body is physically incapable of doing! I've seen/heard of that happening more than once!

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
All you need to know, doesn't matter if you're a regular swinger, a stack and tilter, or what you think should be going on with knee flex....... make sure this happens and you're on your way to hitting the ball with a better swing. Work the hips in this correct manner and the knee will do whatever it NATURALLY HAS TO, after all - you don't want to go forcing anything on your knee (they are very sensitive and prone to injury).

[video=youtube;WvOr5nNqYEw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvOr5nNqYEw[/video]

Last edited:

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
it is pretty true to say that you don't want the trail leg to 'lock out' at the knee.
also if you sway to the right off the ball with the trail leg & hip, trail knee moving laterally away from target that will dramatically affect the golfers ability to make a sound efficient swing motion.

so would say as far as just looking at the trail knee, there are 2 no no's, no trail knee 'complete locking out' & no trail knee lateral move away from target.

you would want to retain some degree of flex range in the trail knee, to be able to have an efficient leg movement that can properly utilize ground pressure reactions & also provide stability & balance, plus allow a hip turn during the swing motion - a motion that needs to be both dynamic & balanced. how the feet, legs. hips (pelvis) move directly affect the upper body's ability to rotate efficiently.

a good elite amateur to top tour player will have a hip turn in the backswing that's approximately around 37º ('closed' to the 0º target line) at impact those same players hip turn/clearance at impact will be approximately around 53º('open' to the 0º target line) it will also be titled upwards left at around 14º. (hip clearance at impact in 'average' amateur is some 21º less at 32º with the upwards tilt being only some 4º)

you can look at a bunch of 'isolated parts' of a swing motion as they will have a bearing on how efficiently the swing works, but you always have to keep in mind they are part of a 'whole'.

http://www.aroundhawaii.com/lifesty...-pga-tour-players-target-linefront-view-.html

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Gareth, if your right leg is at the top of your backswing you need to see a Chiropractor :lol:

for anything else I copy Rory:thup: he seems to know a wee bit and (so far) the results are beyond my expectations for a very old guy past his prime- roll on Summer

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Gareth, if your right leg is at the top of your backswing you need to see a Chiropractor :lol:

for anything else I copy Rory:thup: he seems to know a wee bit and (so far) the results are beyond my expectations for a very old guy past his prime- roll on Summer

Almost certain that any guy (at least) older than about 18 who tries to replicate Rory's hip action is more than likely the one who will need a Chiropractor! :whistle:

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Almost certain that any guy (at least) older than about 18 who tries to replicate Rory's hip action is more than likely the one who will need a Chiropractor! :whistle:

so far I've let my hair grow curly and had toothache, what else is there

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com

That's something we NEED to see on video... our very own forum McIlroy,.. can't wait for the Youtube link.....