Rifle Project X Flighted 6.5 Shafts

timchump

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
hi

i'm looking at a set of second hand clubs with these fitted.

i guess there fairly stiff, can any body give me some more info on them, what sort of swing they suit etc..

thanks

Last edited:

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
they are in effect an extra stiff shaft (albeit there is a 7.0 which is even stiffer). The fact they are flighted means that they are designed to enable the long irons to hit it slightly higher and the short higher slightly lower.

i love them but you need a high swing speed to get the most out of them

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I had the non-flighted version in 6.0 and thought they were slightly too stiff for me. My driver ss is around 100-105.

To get the best from 6.5 I reckon you'd want to be carrying a 7 iron around 170yds.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Flighted PX play a bit softer than standard PX, but those will still be fairly stout, somewhere in the region of PX 6.0 or firmer, or somewhere between TT DG S300 and X100, nearer the latter.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
I use to play with rifle 6.5 in my TM TP combos. I would not advise anyone to get them unless you have some serious swing speed and hand action. I use to have a really high speed swing hit my PW 150 yards, problem was with no consistency. I was playing off 9 at the time. I then got fitted by the TM tour van on a demo day and to my confusion I walked away with a set of irons with 5.5 in......:confused:

But hey they are the men if you want fitting after all these are the blokes looking after the tour pros. So I took my medicine and got what they had advised. Well, within 18 months I was swinging with a lot more ease and accuracy and dropped down to 5 and was still hitting a 9 iron 150 yards so had not really lost any distance. Be careful and do not get caught out by the stiffer shaft will hit it further syndrome. Being able to swing within yourself and hitting the ball sweet will do that for you, as I found out myself.

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
I use to play with rifle 6.5 in my TM TP combos. I would not advise anyone to get them unless you have some serious swing speed and hand action. I use to have a really high speed swing hit my PW 150 yards, problem was with no consistency. I was playing off 9 at the time. I then got fitted by the TM tour van on a demo day and to my confusion I walked away with a set of irons with 5.5 in......:confused:

But hey they are the men if you want fitting after all these are the blokes looking after the tour pros. So I took my medicine and got what they had advised. Well, within 18 months I was swinging with a lot more ease and accuracy and dropped down to 5 and was still hitting a 9 iron 150 yards so had not really lost any distance. Be careful and do not get caught out by the stiffer shaft will hit it further syndrome. Being able to swing within yourself and hitting the ball sweet will do that for you, as I found out myself.

I have 5.0 in mine after being fitted for 5.5 I just "felt" the 5.0 suited me better even though all the numbers said 5.5

timchump

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
thanks for the helpful replies, looks like i'll give them a miss then,
i would guestimate my swing speed with the driver to be a fairly average 100, judging by the carry i get,
not realy quick enough to hit these monsters

Last edited:

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
i would guestimate my swing speed with the driver to be a fairly average 100, judging by the carry i get,

100 with a driver is far from average (except on here!).

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site

Tim

Avoid the flighted 6.5s unless your tempo is exceptionally fast. 5.5 is probably a better fit.

It is worth pointing out that the flex rating for Rifle and PX are rather inconsistent. For a start, Rifles are frequency matched, so their flex is accurate. PX are not - they are weight sorted, so weight is a proxy for flex, and sets of PX vary. Pros will often test several sets before choosing one, and they then buy up a bunch of spares for later use.

In general, though, PX play about 0.5 stiffer than Rifle. So if you suit a 6.0 Rifle, choose a 5.5 PX.

PX flighted are a different beast again, and although there is a much longer story available, the short one is that they play a bit softer than standard PX, but a shade firmer than Rifles of the same number.

So 6.5 PX is somewhat stiffer than 6.5 PX flighted which in turn is slightly stiffer than 6.5 Rifle, which is roughly equivalent to 6.0 PX.

timchump

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Tim

Avoid the flighted 6.5s unless your tempo is exceptionally fast. 5.5 is probably a better fit.

It is worth pointing out that the flex rating for Rifle and PX are rather inconsistent. For a start, Rifles are frequency matched, so their flex is accurate. PX are not - they are weight sorted, so weight is a proxy for flex, and sets of PX vary. Pros will often test several sets before choosing one, and they then buy up a bunch of spares for later use.

In general, though, PX play about 0.5 stiffer than Rifle. So if you suit a 6.0 Rifle, choose a 5.5 PX.

PX flighted are a different beast again, and although there is a much longer story available, the short one is that they play a bit softer than standard PX, but a shade firmer than Rifles of the same number.

So 6.5 PX is somewhat stiffer than 6.5 PX flighted which in turn is slightly stiffer than 6.5 Rifle, which is roughly equivalent to 6.0 PX.

thanks for the in depth reply ethan, i guess i need to be seriously custom fitted for the PX or rifle shafts.

i was considering a set of callaway x20's, just to compare, and possiby keep along side my current set of more bladed mp60's,
had a basic custom fit about 5 years ago now for the mp60's, i was fitted with the dynamic gold s300 but to be fair there were only 2 shaft options the other being the regular flex.

i recentley changed the shaft in my driver from the ilima stiff to ahina stiff and have found i get a better fight, and a little more carry with the ahina.

by the sound of it the px 6.5's are pretty much tour shafts and will be too much for me

thanks for your help

Last edited:

timchump

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
100 with a driver is far from average (except on here!).

says he with the aldilia rip stiff shaft ;)

i don't realy know to be honest i can carry a 7 iron 150-155, apparently that equates to approximatley 100 mph swing speed?

Last edited:

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
says he with the aldilia rip stiff shaft ;)

i don't realy know to be honest i can carry a 7 iron 150-155, apparently that equates to approximatley 100 mph swing speed?

That sounds like me (7 iron about 155, driver carry about 240-ish) and I am right around 100mph. I wouldn't touch anything with a 6.5 flex!

I use TT DG S300, but also have used PX5.5 and KBS Tour Stiff.

The Ilima is a rather high flight shaft, Ahina a good bit lower, so you may be getting a better flight out of the driver.

Have a look at KBS. You might like those if a more penetrating trajectory works for you. Some people find that TT DG spins too much, so the ball starts off low but then balloons on them. KBS and PX (in the right flex) will help that.

Last edited:

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have 5.0 in mine after being fitted for 5.5 I just "felt" the 5.0 suited me better even though all the numbers said 5.5

Amazing really isn't it how going to a shaft with a bit more whip in it can help you hit it more consistent even when all the charts say different. It still aid I should have 6.5, but they got me to take a 5.5 and I am glad I did. A mate I use to play with was in his mid 30's played off 10 and had senior flex shafts in his clubs...:rofl:and he certainly was not a slow swinger of the club. Just suited him better as his swing was fast but his wrist did not release much.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Amazing really isn't it how going to a shaft with a bit more whip in it can help you hit it more consistent even when all the charts say different. It still aid I should have 6.5, but they got me to take a 5.5 and I am glad I did. A mate I use to play with was in his mid 30's played off 10 and had senior flex shafts in his clubs...:rofl:and he certainly was not a slow swinger of the club. Just suited him better as his swing was fast but his wrist did not release much.

Good tempo forgives a lot. I saw Michael Campbell at a Callaway clinic a while after he won the US Open trying to demonstrate that badly fitted clubs were a problem. He was given a driver with a ladies flex shaft (softer than senior) and proceeded to hit a series of drives straight up the middle of the fairway all landing next to one another, and he didn't manage to miss one until he gave it a deliberate lurch with his shoulder.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Have a look at KBS. You might like those if a more penetrating trajectory works for you. Some people find that TT DG spins too much, so the ball starts off low but then balloons on them. KBS and PX (in the right flex) will help that.

Agree with this. In my fitting I went from a TT DG, to cure my ballooning, to an X100 shaft.

The Mizuno fit recommended this X100 shaft as well KBS and Project X6.5. From memory, the weight distribution (probably the wrong terminology!?) was different in the three shafts. X100 was head heavy, Project X mid and KBS light headed (I think?). Apologies for semi hijacking but I think it's relevant...Ethan, can you outline what the difference between the shafts are and what they would would give in ball flight.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Agree with this. In my fitting I went from a TT DG, to cure my ballooning, to an X100 shaft.

The Mizuno fit recommended this X100 shaft as well KBS and Project X6.5. From memory, the weight distribution (probably the wrong terminology!?) was different in the three shafts. X100 was head heavy, Project X mid and KBS light headed (I think?). Apologies for semi hijacking but I think it's relevant...Ethan, can you outline what the difference between the shafts are and what they would would give in ball flight.

KBS and PX were both designed by the same guy, Kim Braly (the KB of KBS) and are both intended, in different ways, to give a flattish flight with lower spin than TT DG which are quite tip heavy. KBS have a different weight distribution, described by some as 'counter balanced' although that is not really the case, and they feel a bit lighter to swing although they really aren't. There is a newish KBS model called the C-taper which has a lower flight and less spin, and a new Project X coming out which is similar.

You should find that both PX and KBS launch the ball a bit higher, but it stays on a flatter trajectory, than TT DG due to lower spin. PX can feel rather harsh, but KBS feels better.