Rifle Project X Flighted 6.5 Shafts

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
KBS and PX were both designed by the same guy, Kim Braly (the KB of KBS) and are both intended, in different ways, to give a flattish flight with lower spin than TT DG which are quite tip heavy. KBS have a different weight distribution, described by some as 'counter balanced' although that is not really the case, and they feel a bit lighter to swing although they really aren't. There is a newish KBS model called the C-taper which has a lower flight and less spin, and a new Project X coming out which is similar.

You should find that both PX and KBS launch the ball a bit higher, but it stays on a flatter trajectory, than TT DG due to lower spin. PX can feel rather harsh, but KBS feels better.

All very good but is it still possible to hit them fat? :whistle:

PX5.5 is more than enough for me,... even more so in the colder months when layers prevent a really decent swing. Put me in Florida all year and I'd take 6.0

braveheart

Visit site
Hello Gentlemen, I am new to this site and forum. On my first search I found this very helpful thread. I was considering getting a new set of irons (Bridgestone J40 Deep Pocket Cavity) with Project PX 6.5 Flighted shafts but now will pass based on the information you guys provided from your experience and feedback. I am 56, SS 102 driver, quick tempo and currently use Titeist AP1 with S300 that I hit very high. I am fooling around with someones irons that have KBS Tour 90s in them and they feel nice. I really want a set of J38 or J40 irons but want to make a good choice based on the right shaft. Thanks.
Mike

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Hi and welcome.

The Tour 90s have a pretty high flight as well. Highest of the KBS range anyway and described by them as 'High' flight, 'Mid' spin.

I.ve attached a chart that might help!

Ebay would seem the place for Bridgestones, though owners become a bit devoted! J40DPCs are fairly wide-bladed so plenty of forgiveness. AP1s are designed for forgiveness and, along with the stock shaft, to 'get the ball airborne' so a higher flight isn't surprising.

Attachments

• KBS-Tour-V.jpg
    KBS-Tour-V.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

braveheart

Visit site
Hi and welcome.

The Tour 90s have a pretty high flight as well. Highest of the KBS range anyway and described by them as 'High' flight, 'Mid' spin.

I.ve attached a chart that might help!

Ebay would seem the place for Bridgestones, though owners become a bit devoted! J40DPCs are fairly wide-bladed so plenty of forgiveness. AP1s are designed for forgiveness and, along with the stock shaft, to 'get the ball airborne' so a higher flight isn't surprising.

Wow, I really appreciate the timely input and information you have provided. Its clear to me that "fitting myself" with the AP1s with S300 and having the too high ball flight is not the optimal setup for me. I also see that the Bridgestone J38-J40 irons I seek to acquire may need something less stout than the Rifle PX flighted 6.5 shafts. What do you think is a good place to start? Rifle 5.0, 5.5 or KBS Tour models? Again I hit the ball high, agressive transition, SS 102. Thanks for your help.

Mike

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Wow, I really appreciate the timely input and information you have provided. Its clear to me that "fitting myself" with the AP1s with S300 and having the too high ball flight is not the optimal setup for me. I also see that the Bridgestone J38-J40 irons I seek to acquire may need something less stout than the Rifle PX flighted 6.5 shafts. What do you think is a good place to start? Rifle 5.0, 5.5 or KBS Tour models? Again I hit the ball high, agressive transition, SS 102. Thanks for your help.

Mike

H'mm!

I'm no fitter, but if S300s are too high then maybe PX5.5 or 6 or en equivalent like C-Taper at S+ or Tour at S+

The proper way to find out is to try some and find out - on a grass range preferably (and with real balls), as the flight appears to be important to you.

Depending on the area you are in, it might be possible to find a fitter or studio who could provide facilities and a sample 6 iron, but expect to be charged for this service (anything from £20 or £40 to about £50 or £60 tops - anything more and they are either charging too much or doing too much) and it's not a perfect science as some shafts work well with certain heads while others don't!

And as another perception - rather than actual knowledge - I don't believe transition type is as important for irons as it for woods , esp. Drivers. I think it's more the Hitter vs Swinger that's important for irons which is more based around the impact zone. If the fitter has Flightscope, then there's a built in chart that supposedly checks or predicts swing to shaft matching - I'm not sure of the details.

What area are you based in? There may be a 'proper' fitter nearby. I wouldn't recommend the likes of AG for this sort of thing, though if you have a local one, Though if they have a Mizuno cart, then the DNA thingy might help (heard good and bad reports) or actually trying some of the shafts in a similar head to the one you are after might help too.

Sorry to waffle on and not be very specific but, as I said, it's not an exact science and often actually comes down to the feel that an individual likes - certainly for me. Searching for the right head/shaft combo can be an expensive exercise, but can be a bit of a hobby within Golf as well!

Good Luck!

groundskeeperwilly

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

Mike
Hey Mike

I am playing Bridgestone J40 CB's and have demoed the DPC's as-well. Do you know your 6 Iron SS at all? I could maybe give you some comparison on the shafts etc that I tried if you like but if your 6 Iron SS is lies away from mine then it might be useless info!

braveheart

Visit site
I live in Hamden, CT. I hit balls for one fitter a couple months ago and he said," I would not put in you S300 shafts." I make them work but as I told you I want Bridgestone irons. My feelings, ball flight, your insight and the fitters thoughts point me in the direction of something else. Got time over this winter to assess and do something about it. Thanks again for your interest and input.