Revetted bunker (take2)

AMcC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
New fairway bunker at the right hand side of the 9th fairway at Gailes. Looks a bit deep, best not go in that one :D
20190302-093315.jpg

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
looks OK, with our new course design they are doing away with the revetted fairway bunkers for the type the same lot put in at Turnberry, lower maintenance apparently, double hazzard though all have been topped with heather:(

D

Deleted member 1147

looks OK, with our new course design they are doing away with the revetted fairway bunkers for the type the same lot put in at Turnberry, lower maintenance apparently, double hazzard though all have been topped with heather:(
Is that normal on links, heather topped bunkers?
I’ve seen it plenty on heathland.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Is that normal on links, heather topped bunkers?
I’ve seen it plenty on heathland.

no, it must be a Mackenzie and Ebert speciality, though i don't remember seeing that at Turnberry as i didn't go in a single bunker that day.

I think its to cut down on maintenance, we had 50 plus revetted fairway bunkers and due to the way the head green keeper insisted on them being raked, many could not get out as you ended up up the face of every one, so they would get destroyed and needed replacing every two years, which cost a bomb.

not convinced about the heather, if you only just get out, you still are in trouble.

here are the two new drive bunker on 2nd
heather1.jpgheather2.jpg

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
I think bunkers many moons ago had heather rough around the edges, bunkers originated from natural sandy areas which were surrounded by rough etc so it's just trying to get a more natural look and also if they happen to be lower maintenance it's a bonus, maintenance certainly wasn't the reason turnberry changed many bunkers back to look like this

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I think bunkers many moons ago had heather rough around the edges, bunkers originated from natural sandy areas which were surrounded by rough etc so it's just trying to get a more natural look and also if they happen to be lower maintenance it's a bonus, maintenance certainly wasn't the reason turnberry changed many bunkers back to look like this
yes sheep scrapes, i don't think we got our first revetted bunker until just after the WW1, or at least the first photo of one. if you walk up the Carse past the end of the current course, its the same type of land a sheep are in there, plenty of examples of completely natural bunkers.

its the same course architects as Turnberry and that was def the selling point they made to change ours

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site

Agree with this, but obviously people want perfectly manicured bunkers with nice sharp edges, but as long as the approach is consistent around one course I think that's the main thing.

Noticed at St Andrews where a lot of bunkers have been redone. The turf used for the faces is still green / dark brown and not very visible from the tees. Certainly a few times you weren't certain it was a bunker. It will lighten up I'm sure within a few weeks, but it reminds you how important from a course design point of view that you can see the penalty from the tee / fairway so that it has the desired effect of possibly changing your approach to the hole.

DCB

Visit site
The hole is only 307 yards long and the bunkers is approx 50 yds from the green, so catching drives down the right

So, playing safe and left of the bunker will leave you in the deep hollow in front of the green.... nothing is ever easy in this game ;)

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I would say that is one of my favourite holes on that course. Certainly one I remember along with a great par 3 on the back 9 (15th I think).

Bunker looks like a very tidy job but must have been a big consideration... especially with trouble down the left.

AMcC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So, playing safe and left of the bunker will leave you in the deep hollow in front of the green.... nothing is ever easy in this game ;)

And avoiding the left hand fairway bunker as well😉

I would say that is one of my favourite holes on that course. Certainly one I remember along with a great par 3 on the back 9 (15th I think).

Bunker looks like a very tidy job but must have been a big consideration... especially with trouble down the left.
Yes, good hole, no green side bunkers but a raised green.
15th is the par 3. There have been big changes this winter, when did you last play there?

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
And avoiding the left hand fairway bunker as well😉

Yes, good hole, no green side bunkers but a raised green.
15th is the par 3. There have been big changes this winter, when did you last play there?

It was February last year. Played on consecutive Fridays.

Course was very playable and in good nick but a lot of bunkers out of play with water.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
New fairway bunker at the right hand side of the 9th fairway at Gailes. Looks a bit deep, best not go in that one :D
20190302-093315.jpg
Looks like the one i was in at North Berwick as a guest of IanG . Plugged in the face, but managed to get it out, along with half the face.
Sorry Ian, i still feel guilty .:eek: has it grown back yet :whistle:

Last edited:

AMcC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It was February last year. Played on consecutive Fridays.

Course was very playable and in good nick but a lot of bunkers out of play with water.

All the trees between 8,9 and 10 have gone as well as some others. Some of the gorse at rhs of 4 has gone as well. Making a very good job of mounding it all, but will take a bit of time for the grass to grow through. Only a couple of bunkers have been out this year.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
All the trees between 8,9 and 10 have gone as well as some others. Some of the gorse at rhs of 4 has gone as well. Making a very good job of mounding it all, but will take a bit of time for the grass to grow through. Only a couple of bunkers have been out this year.

Yeh they were taking trees out to the right of the par 5 (5th) when we were there.

Definitely a big fan of tree removal. Lets you see a lot more golf course.