Returning to the Tee

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I find the most enjoyment beating an opponent when both of us play strict rules. Cutting a corner now and again in the name of "fun" holds no appeal to me. The measure of you and me playing golf is compromised when we do not play by the rules. Wew are hitting a ball around but we are not playing golf.

Of course they're playing Golf - believe it or not there are many ways to play and enjoy the game.
Let's face it a Texas Scramble or 3 club comp, by your definition, are not playing golf - somewhat are they?
A bunch of kids in a field kicking a ball around using jumpers for goalposts....are they playing football ??
Of course they are, not the professional, true game but a variant.
But they're obviously not allowed in your World.....

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
I guess in my original posiI was really asking if only on the occasions when its a "Stroke and distance" situation off the Tee, when playing casually, you'd take a two shot penalty (1 for the distance, and another for the relevant infringement).

I'm well aware of the moral high ground pointed out by several members and the wisdom of playing a provisional when there's a chance of the need; but, when on a 'fun' day out, we'd still try and stick with the spirit or the rules. Thus it seems the penalty should be higher than a simple 1 shot for 'nearest' drop hazard etc.

This ain't a life and death issue and was only idly thinking what others might do.

What you do when your playing with your friends is up to you and as long as your having a good time and not slowing up play then what's the problem. Me and my pp have probably broken every rule in the book durring our friendly games and we always have a great time.
I always remember a random guy joined our 3 ball durring a friendly game when my pp bladed his ball through the green at great speed towards a pond. I was able to stop his ball with my foot and he then took the correct drop from the pond. This random guy looked at me as if i just cacked on his lawn. GET A LIFE

Last edited:

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Of course they're playing Golf - believe it or not there are many ways to play and enjoy the game.
Let's face it a Texas Scramble or 3 club comp, by your definition, are not playing golf - somewhat are they?
A bunch of kids in a field kicking a ball around using jumpers for goalposts....are they playing football ??
Of course they are, not the professional, true game but a variant.
But they're obviously not allowed in your World.....
Well said brother

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
I assume you are thinking of dec 33-8/35.

If players can ignore the lost ball rule in the name of friendly non competitive golf, shouldn't the course designers be allowed to set it up with the same thing in mind?

Did you miss the winking smilie at the end of that question? ;)

To treat it seriously, however, the problem would be that in the UK and Ireland where a local rule is in place which is not authorised in the Rules and not approved by the R&A, you might jeopardise the status of qualifying rounds for handicapping. CONGU (our handicapping authority) requires local rules to be conforming.

And if you didn't have proper local rules, how could then you then break them and start up this kind of discussion?:confused:

Last edited:

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes it is. Perhaps there's a tricle of water at the very bottom when it rains heavily.

Thanks for the extra info. It sounds then as if it is a water course which only occasionally has water in it? In which case it would satisfy the Definition of a water hazard. The reason for questioning it was that you do get courses which wrongly mark off areas of rough as a lateral water hazard as a time saver.

I came across this superb example of misusing the LWH rule. The field is simply the field on the other side of the course boundary along the left of the 1st hole.

The field to the left of the 1st hole will be treated as a lateral hazard (red staked area). Any ball inside the red stakes is in the hazard,; this includes being obstructed by the fence (the fence is an integral part of the course; no relief is given when obstructed). A player may attempt to play his ball if it is golf course side of the fence or he can take relief under Rule 26-1

Last edited:

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
If I'm not in a comp or playing with mates, I'll happily drop a ball or they will, if it's lost. No biggie. It can still count towards the score at the end, it's hardly the end of the world.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Is the 1st the hole running out to the left from the car park on the map? If so, that doesn't look like a water hazard.

Does it have to look like a water hazard to be one? I've played on a number of courses with marked lateral water hazards which have never had any water in them.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Does it have to look like a water hazard to be one? I've played on a number of courses with marked lateral water hazards which have never had any water in them.

[h=2]33-8/35[/h][h=4]Local Rule Treating Rough as a Lateral Water Hazard[/h]Q.The areas immediately adjacent to the fairways consist of large embedded boulders, thick desert brush and prickly cactus. A player whose ball comes to rest in such areas has no opportunity to play a stroke. Would it be proper to make a Local Rule under which such areas would be treated as lateral water hazards?
A.No. There are many courses where the areas adjacent to the fairways are of such a nature that a ball therein is almost always lost or unplayable. Thus, such a situation is not abnormal.

NST

Head Pro
Visit site
Never. Speed of play is not an excuse to ignore a rule. If it disrupts other groups they need to take up another hobby. It's part of the game.

The usga experimented with a distance only rule in 1960 and it lasted a year. Too much injury to the principles. The r&a tried distance only in the early 1800...didn't work.

Addin two strokes and dropping near the exit point doesn't account for the fact that the ball has been driven out of play. No amount of strokes can do that.

If you were in front of me and returned to the tee without having played a provisional, you'd be taking your tee shot once my group had tee'd off.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Why? Normal etiquette would be a call through if one of the group had to make the long walk back to the tee.

There should be no need. A group should be able to make up the time within a couple of holes. We only do it when two players in the group have lost balls and wish to take their 5 minutes to search

It has been shown that calling a group through has a more detrimental effect on the pace of the whole field, although the group being let through will benefit. The group passed have now got to wait for the second group to play and clear which causes a domino effect behind them.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I came across this superb example of misusing the LWH rule. The field is simply the field on the other side of the course boundary along the left of the 1st hole.

The field to the left of the 1st hole will be treated as a lateral hazard (red staked area). Any ball inside the red stakes is in the hazard,; this includes being obstructed by the fence (the fence is an integral part of the course; no relief is given when obstructed). A player may attempt to play his ball if it is golf course side of the fence or he can take relief under Rule 26-1

That'll be on the hole aptly called 'Awakener'! I think George thinks owning that field justifies having that completely daft LR! I was always more frightened of ending up in the whins/on the hill on the right!