Returning to the game after a long time

scott63

Visit site
Hi folks, I have just started going back to the range with a mate after not playing regularly in well over ten years, the clubs i have are an inherited 70/80's set which i think are standard length.

I am 6"3 have a decent if inconsistent swing. I had a fitting for irons at american golf and was recommended a set of G30 irons with +1 inch, stiff flex, silver dot and standard (white) grip.

after doing a bit of research i worry that spending that much on clubs that are for beginners might not be the best idea if my game outgrows them

Once we got the right things tweaked the clubs felt amazing and i was hitting the 7 about 180 yards (mostly) straight which is much better than with my old set, if the clubs are the best for me i am happy to spend the money but if i could get similar results spending less money then obviously i would.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Welcome to the forum! :)

I think most of us would recommend that somebody in your position buy a cheaper set of second hand clubs to start with, just in case you don't decide to keep at it.

They sound far from standard though, so maybe you're better off getting clubs to fit you straight away rather than something that might not suit and could potentially ruin your enjoyment of the game.

If I remember right, Ping will adjust clubs for you so if your swing does change it shouldn't mean having to buy a new set. This doesn't mean you won't want to buy a new set because we all hanker over new stuff from time to time.

I say if you're fairly happy you'll get good use out of them and it's money you can afford to spend then go for it.

Hope you stick around and the bug gets you bad! ;)

scott63

Visit site
Thanks for the welcome, the main reason i am considering spending that much on just irons is that the clubs i have are very old, uncomfortable to hit with and the wooden driver and woods are horrible to play. i feel like i can progress at a good pace going on how much i improved straight off the bat with the ping today. I also feel like if i don't keep it up the pings should retain value pretty well for selling on.

Unless of course there are a set that will be on a par with the pings at a lighter price tag.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Any of the Ping G series or Callaway X series will be good to get you going. Would be surprised if you couldn't get a set in good condition for less than £200, probably much cheaper.

I'd definitely go for new (to you) clubs of some sort. Second hand or brand new is your choice. The problem with second hand is that you have been fitted for non standard length and lie.

Are you certain you'll be sticking with golf?

scott63

Visit site
Is 180 pretty decent then? yeah i feel like i am going to stick with it long term. I have always felt that if i hadnt been held back with old clubs that were uncomfortable i'd probably have stuck with it the whole time, i was thinking about trying to find a second hang ping silver dot and then i could just get the shafts extended?

Or find out the equivalent callaway lie?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Welcome along. Did you look at other makes or did AG offer anything else. Personally (and it is just my opinion of course) I'd be looking at other brands first before going ahead but whatever you do I hope you enjoy getting into golf and stay around on here

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Is 180 pretty decent then? yeah i feel like i am going to stick with it long term. I have always felt that if i hadnt been held back with old clubs that were uncomfortable i'd probably have stuck with it the whole time, i was thinking about trying to find a second hang ping silver dot and then i could just get the shafts extended?

Or find out the equivalent callaway lie?

I've just found the Ping chart showing what colours relate to what lies. Silver dot is 3.75° upright, which is a lot I think. Could be in danger of hitting your toes on a bad swing! :p

It's not beyond the realms of possibility that the fitting might not be 100% accurate.

If you are within sensible distance of Gainsborough it might be worth going to Ping themselves, see what they come up with.

And yes, 180 with a 7 iron is a long way. If that's carry (through the air) distance it's a very long way. If it's including roll it's a generous amount over average.
If it was measured on a launch monitor it might not be totally accurate, but you're obviously a big strong chap so could be right too.

Evesdad

Tour Winner
Visit site
My "fitting" at ag for the pings recommended standard regular, black dots. Went to ping at Gainsborough who fitted me for 1/2 inch longer shafts, stiff flex in maroon dot! Not much difference!

I got the G25's at the time, great clubs.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Outgrowing of irons is very much a personal thing unless you bought a starter set.

A G series set is good for any level but better ball strikers might prefer some additional workability.

I would not hesitate to play G series irons as a new starter, or even switch now if they were free!

I just can't afford to switch from my mizunos and I prefer them enough to not justify a second hand set.