Return to Golf in Scotland

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
There is so much confusion about what is and what isn't allowed. Scottish Golf states:-

"Once golf has resumed, the following groupings will be permitted to play Golf in Scotland:

• Two Balls – 2 players who may be from two households whilst maintaining physical distancing
  • Groups of up to 4 four players permitted at the discretion of the golf club (ensuring that only two households are represented in the group)"

I agree there is some confusion, under Procedures it states Clubs can determine Tee group sizes.

Procedures 6/9

Last edited:

Red scorpion

Visit site
4 balls may be allowed but i doubt any club will allow more than 2 balls at the start.imagine scenario your course crammed with 2 balls and 1 4 ball,anyone else see a problems arising from this

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
4 balls may be allowed but i doubt any club will allow more than 2 balls at the start.imagine scenario your course crammed with 2 balls and 1 4 ball,anyone else see a problems arising from this

But Williamalex has already said his club will allow 3 balls, I take your point about 4 balls that could cause problems for some clubs but not all.

Mick68

Visit site
We are not having comps for the foreseeable future.
We've to start using the Scottish Golf VMS app from next week. It allows you to book, pay and enter scores online. If it works well then it sounds perfect for what's needed just now. I wonder if clubs using it will be able to get back to competitive golf earlier.

PaulS

Visit site
Maybe not , it goes on to say clubs can Determine tee group sizes.

Just the same as they did in England but doesn’t override the household rule

You won’t be able to play a three ball of mates

Scotland:

• Two Balls – 2 players who may be from two households whilst maintaining physical distancing
  • Groups of up to 4 four players permitted at the discretion of the golf club (ensuring that only two households are represented in the group)"

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

Scotland:

I’ve read that but if you look in Procedures 6/9 it contradicts that and says clubs can choose tee group sizes so it’s a bit confusing.r

Where does it state it doesn't override the household rule.

Last edited:

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

Scotland:

The wording from Scottish Golf that clubs could choose group sizes is different from the wording England Golf used so there is a subtle difference.

PaulS

Visit site
The wording from Scottish Golf that clubs could choose group sizes is different from the wording England Golf used so there is a subtle difference.

England golf also said we could pick group sizes but it doesn’t mean you can override the rule that you can meet with people from two different households

That extract above is referring to Scotland

You can have 2,3 or 4 ball but must only be from two different households

The only country different within the UK is Northern Ireland that state you can meet up to 6 people from different households.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
England golf also said we could pick group sizes but it doesn’t mean you can override the rule that you can meet with people from two different households

That extract above is referring to Scotland

You can have 2,3 or 4 ball but must only be from two different households

The only country different within the UK is Northern Ireland that state you can meet up to 6 people from different households.

I've never seen anything from England Golf that states clubs can choose their own group sizes,can you tell me where they state this?

But Scottish Golf definitely state that clubs can choose their own group sizes.

Why they say 3/4 balls can only play from 2 households then go on to say çlubs can choose their own tee group sizes is confusing.

PaulS

Visit site
I've never seen anything from England Golf that states clubs can choose their own group sizes,can you tell me where they state this?

But Scottish Golf definitely state that clubs can choose their own group sizes.

Why they say 3/4 balls can only play from 2 households then go on to say çlubs can choose their own tee group sizes is confusing.

It’s not confusing at all

You can pick your own size groups - just as English Clubs could

But those groups can only be a composite of 2 separate households

The restrictions that are being relaxed in Scotland don’t allow you to meet more than one other household so why would you be allowed when playing golf ?

Red scorpion

Visit site
I agree its easy to underdtand,it lets clubs decide wether they want 2 balls only on the course, allow 3 balls but only from 2 households same for 4 balls.it gives them an option to decide what they allow within the guidelines.imagine most will go for 2,saves them checking on any 3 or 4 balls that wish to play to see guidelines are following.all you need is 1 x 4 ball holding all the 2 balls up,sd wont happen then golfers being golfers you will end up having 4 balls all over the course

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Scottish Golf suggest no more than two households per tee time. Therefore you can have a four ball made up of four persons from one household, or three from one household and one from another, or two from one household and two from another.
A 4 ball in the middle of loads of 2balls will not be making too many friends.

BigEasyERGC

Visit site
Too soon for 4 balls IMO.

Purely out of concern that it would be abused by people who wouldn't respect the 2 household rule.

Golfers going to remote clubs/courses thinking they can chance their arm.