Return to Golf in Scotland

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Assume it is two balls (or two households)?

Any mention of travelling to the course?
This is guideline. Sturgeon said on the evening news that the 5 miles were to try and prevent hordes of people travelling to landmarks and that people should use judgement.

Plenty people are travelling more than 5 miles to walk their dogs on their favourite walk, some of which are along golf courses!

Will be interesting to see if any clubs try to police this. Will be a lot of angry golfers if they do.[/QUOTE.

If they are just guidelines it should be up to clubs to follow this if they so wish, so if clubs want to allow 3/4 balls could they not allow this as they are just guidelines. Although they go on to say singles , 2 balls, 3/4 balls from 2 households.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
This is guideline. Sturgeon said on the evening news that the 5 miles were to try and prevent hordes of people travelling to landmarks and that people should use judgement.

Plenty people are travelling more than 5 miles to walk their dogs on their favourite walk, some of which are along golf courses!

Will be interesting to see if any clubs try to police this. Will be a lot of angry golfers if they do.

Yeah I've got to be honest I would rather still be in lockdown than be told - you are now allowed to golf but sadly you don't meet the criteria to play golf as you live out with THE five mile radius.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Yeah I've got to be honest I would rather still be in lockdown than be told - you are now allowed to golf but sadly you don't meet the criteria to play golf as you live out with THE five mile radius.

But you are not being restricted to travel only 5 miles you are being given guidelines, so if you want to travel 30 miles to a club there is nothing to stop you.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Many members of my club live quite a distance away. Lots from Edinburgh and the centre of the country. Most head to the coast for 12 months golf.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
But you are not being restricted to travel only 5 miles you are being given guidelines, so if you want to travel 30 miles to a club there is nothing to stop you.

I read it and its clear as mud. I'll wait till after the first few days before I consider hitting a ball. I've not played since mid March anyway and still got no real inclination to go and play either. I will let all the golf "junkies" (which I used to be one of) get their fix first then try a few holes one night if I'm allowed to.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Also our club is rather unique and I would suggest that under 15% of the membership will stay within 5 miles and I think that is being generous, could be as low as 5%.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I read it and its clear as mud. I'll wait till after the first few days before I consider hitting a ball. I've not played since mid March anyway and still got no real inclination to go and play either. I will let all the golf "junkies" (which I used to be one of) get their fix first then try a few holes one night if I'm allowed to.

Irrespective if you want to play or not your creating a problem that’s not there.

As I say it’s not a rule it’s a guideline, Nicola Sturgeon even said yesterday that you could travel more than 5 miles to visit a relative, she was putting it on individuals to be sensible

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Irrespective if you want to play or not your creating a problem that’s not there.

As I say it’s not a rule it’s a guideline, Nicola Sturgeon even said yesterday that you could travel more than 5 miles to visit a relative, she was putting it on individuals to be sensible

I'm not arguing what was said by our First Minister, what I am saying is that all the guidance I've seen coming from Golf Unions mention the 5 mile radius. If your golf club choose to enforce that and monitor their booking system i will be screwed. As will thousands of others.

If your club decides that this is a guideline they want to use then you can't go against your club rules without risking some sort of punishment/irk in return.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I'm not arguing what was said by our First Minister, what I am saying is that all the guidance I've seen coming from Golf Unions mention the 5 mile radius. If your golf club choose to enforce that and monitor their booking system i will be screwed. As will thousands of others.

If your club decides that this is a guideline they want to use then you can't go against your club rules without risking some sort of punishment/irk in return.

I imagine that this could cause a lot of ill-feeling and clubs that are struggling (possibly the vast majority of them) might be best to not upset their members.

D

Deleted member 3432

Also our club is rather unique and I would suggest that under 15% of the membership will stay within 5 miles and I think that is being generous, could be as low as 5%.

I can't see anything from Scottish golf or First Minister putting a 5 mile radius on anything, more like staying within local area which looks undefined.

Your club won't have many playing if they try to enforce a 5 radius so i think you should get yourself out there and have a knock.

I played wednesday for the first time so i gave it a little time after restart and it was a good experience. Despite the tee being fully booked all day, car park was half full when I arrived for my 3-00 pm time, saw the group in front tee off and then strolled round in 3 hours not pressuring those in front and having plenty of space from the group behind.

Two ball golf is my favourite form, great walking round not having to look for balls on every hole and a feeling of an empty course.

Get out there Jacko and forget about these troubled times for a few hours, it will do you good. Just expect to be crap, I know I was :ROFLMAO:

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I can't see anything from Scottish golf or First Minister putting a 5 mile radius on anything, more like staying within local area which looks undefined.

Your club won't have many playing if they try to enforce a 5 radius so i think you should get yourself out there and have a knock.

I played wednesday for the first time so i gave it a little time after restart and it was a good experience. Despite the tee being fully booked all day, car park was half full when I arrived for my 3-00 pm time, saw the group in front tee off and then strolled round in 3 hours not pressuring those in front and having plenty of space from the group behind.

Two ball golf is my favourite form, great walking round not having to look for balls on every hole and a feeling of an empty course.

Get out there Jacko and forget about these troubled times for a few hours, it will do you good. Just expect to be crap, I know I was :ROFLMAO:

Traminater put up a link only a few posts ago quoting the 5 mile guideline

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

Come on Jacko be realistic do you really think any club will enforce this guideline

I would agree though if clubs did you would have to follow the rules, that in turn would cause chaos and ill feeling ,
That’s why this guideline will not be enforced and golfers have nothing to worry about.

D

Deleted member 3432

Traminater put up a link only a few posts ago quoting the 5 mile guideline

The article I saw mentioned 'local', have now seen the 5 mile guideline.

Seems pointless opening courses if that was to be enforced and don't see that happening.