Retrieving Ball Safely without touching the flagstick

55ripgolf73

Visit site
After experiencing problems with firstly the putt buddy and then the foam inserts introduced to aid safe removal of the ball from the hole, my local club trialled a plastic clip on spacer this weekend attached to the flagstick.

Despite torrential rainfall, no rising of the clip - simple but effective solution to a problem.

They fit snugly in the hole meaning that they even act as an aid to keep the flag vertical - again making it easier to retrieve the golf ball without touching the flagstick.

Simple idea, easy to install - happy golfing days ahead.

What are other clubs doing to tackle / help with this issue?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We have these.
Thay are fine when new but ours have worn already.
They do work but are a bit flimsy long term, probably need to be more robust,
On short putts you can see the flag moving around really puts me off .
I like to hit my putts at the back of the hole and don’t like the flag in.
But it is what it is and at least we’re playing!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
we have a plastic sleeve with a disk in the cup and one about 8 inches above the hole, lift and drops the ball out..

does stop the odd one going in that hits the plastic sleeve and bounces off .

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
We have small pieces of plastic pipe around the flag that stops the ball dropping down. The odd firmly struck ball is popping out but on the whole they are working well.

I've played at courses that use foam inserts, the pull up thingy and all do a similar job. None of them are a hardship.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Ours just has the regular upside down cups still. We carefully stick our fingers in to grab the ball out.

We had that at the start, I wish we still did - a nice simple solution.

We have the contraptions where you need to pull up on a piece of metal with putter or foot - a faff.

Additional piece of metal next to thick pins can prevent ball being holed.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
We are using foam pipe/tube (wrapping) in the hole and that seems to work well. The top of the foam is maybe 1" below the putting surface and it's easy to pick the ball out without touching the flag or sides of the hole. That said - a putt drops and any virus on the ball could transfer to the foam from where it could be picked up by another ball.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
We use one like this but with a less obtrusive lift rod and a domed 'tray' at the bottom so the ball naturally rolls away from the hole. No bending down. Easy peasy.
https://golfballezlyft.com/ E-Z Lyft Pro

That version looks better than what we have as the metal rod is held very close to the pin. With our's that metal rod is about 10 mm away from our already thick pin.

Some people (me included) spin it round to get it out the way as they can deflect the ball out of the hole.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
At the moment I'm doing my bit by not putting the ball in the hole but either to the left, right, past it or not quite up to it!!!!

Seriously we have foam inserts and we physically pick the ball up, not sure how that is much different. I'd preferred the lift up device thingy.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
That version looks better than what we have as the metal rod is held very close to the pin. With our's that metal rod is about 10 mm away from our already thick pin.

Some people (me included) spin it round to get it out the way as they can deflect the ball out of the hole.
No one has mentioned having or seeing that happen that so far.
However there are versions that have a very fine gauge sheath on the pole instead of a rod.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We had an email saying qualifiers are starting at the end of July with a different hole to the upturned holes we're using at the moment Assuming this will be either a foam insert of there is talk of a normal holes and one of these lift up devices. Remains to be seen but good news about qualifiers

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Arising from this, where it is clear that minimal touching of flagsticks etc is considered prudent......
What does this say about the imminent opening of clubhouses and bars at clubs and the serving of drinks.?
Are golfers going to be happy drinking pints, I.e holding glasses which have been handled by others (,staff), just prior?
Personally, I would buy a bottle of beer ( handled carefully by me) and pour it into my own glass ( taken to the clubhouse). But I don't see using club pint glasses etc.

Last edited:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Just to put some figures out there, it's over £500.00 to do 18holes ?
I'm sure I've seen these holes cheaper but even so, in the scheme of things is £500 overly expensive and surely given their usefulness in keeping golfers safe and the unknown length of time we're in this situation it seems a decent enough price for a long term solution

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Anyone else think is all a bit ridiculous? There's more chance of getting ill from the chemicals they put down than from catching a virus from a flagstick. Just be careful and sanitise your hands afterwards if you're that worried. FOr what its worth we've got foam around the base of the stick, I hit my short putts firmly to take any break out so quite often the ball jumps back out off the foam, the sooner we go back to proper holes the better.