Retirement

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
In Sept 2021, I packed in work aged 58, best thing I ever did!

Last month, I started another job because it was offered! Decent money, really good role and nice people. I figured I'd do it over the winter and see what's what. One month in, I know my notice is going in straight after Christmas. I've just got too many other things I'd rather be doing! I wonder if they'll want me to do a month's notice? :)

I feel very lucky to have the choice. I might do some work over the winter next year, but not a full-on one like this.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

Last month, I started another job because it was offered! Decent money, really good role and nice people. I figured I'd do it over the winter and see what's what. One month in, I know my notice is going in straight after Christmas. I've just got too many other things I'd rather be doing! I wonder if they'll want me to do a month's notice? :)

I feel very lucky to have the choice. I might do some work over the winter next year, but not a full-on one like this.
With me fully retired and not drawing down very much pension and waiting for the state to help, but with my Mrs still doing couple or three days a week plus her NHS pension - we are comfortable but not well off. But we have time, and we can’t buy time, and with my time ‘free and free‘ I can support family and friends as much as is asked of me and pretty much whenever they need me.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Is the male average lifespan now 86?

In Scotland it is 76, according to National Records Scotland.

Oh crap, better cancel my move then........

Looking at this https://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/stati...ectancy/life-expectancy-in-scotland/2018-2020

it states

• In Scotland in 2018-2020, life expectancy at birth was 76.8 years for males and 81.0 years for females. This is a decrease of around 17.6 weeks (0.3 years) for males and 6.1 weeks (0.1 years) for females since last year’s estimates and represents the biggest annual decrease since the series began.
  • This report describes period life expectancy. This is not a prediction of how long someone will live, but is an indicator which summarises the health of the population at a point in time.
Does it decrease when I cross the border......? :unsure:

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
My working week has reduced over the past decade and currently I'm calling myself "retired". The inverted commas are because I'm not really sure I am...unless the perfect job for a maximum of 8 hours a week comes up, I am!

Vikingman

Head Pro
Visit site

I finished in March 2015 but my idea was to continue to do a bit a bit of temping which initially I did. Don't ask me how but I then managed to get myself another full time job. I stuck it for 3 months including a months notice. I'd gone from more or less being my own boss and working on my doorstep to travelling anything up to an hour to do a role which I quickly found out was not for me.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Please explain that.

The legislation was that companies could not overfund company pension schemes not that private pension had a limit to how much 'interest' could be earned'. However the general drop in in interest rates etc meant that annuity rates from private pensions also dropped considerably.
G Brown did a raid on pension companies to help fund the NHS and other things. As a result, my private pension (as thats all Ive ever had) value dropped in value to the tune of 30%.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
G Brown did a raid on pension companies to help fund the NHS and other things. As a result, my private pension (as thats all Ive ever had) value dropped in value to the tune of 30%.

Thanks. I was confused with the time that the government made all companies stop overfunding company pension schemes.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks. I was confused with the time that the government made all companies stop overfunding company pension schemes.
No problem, I wish I had a company that put into my pension back then. Thankfully I do now, and help to reduce nicely my Corp Tax;)

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
I’m in that undecided group who could afford to retire now, but really enjoys what I do.

I’m coming up 61, get state pension at 67, partner 56 so 5 years behind. I also have income from a property let

I’m inclined to stay as I am for 5 years and then go down to 3 days a week.

My carer can then retire and start drawing her pensions , she will have 6 years before her state one kicks in.

However, although my health now is pretty good, I have had a kidney removed 6 years ago and will need a heart valve replacement at some point

Ho hum

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I’m in that undecided group who could afford to retire now, but really enjoys what I do.

I’m coming up 61, get state pension at 67, partner 56 so 5 years behind. I also have income from a property let

I’m inclined to stay as I am for 5 years and then go down to 3 days a week.

My carer can then retire and start drawing her pensions , she will have 6 years before her state one kicks in.

However, although my health now is pretty good, I have had a kidney removed 6 years ago and will need a heart valve replacement at some point

Ho hum

Retire and enjoy your life. No job is better than spending time at home and on the golf course with a dog or cat.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I retired from 38 yrs of shift work at 56.
The firm was going under and wanted rid of the higher earners.
Big problem was I lost almost 50% of my pension ( 5% every year before 65)
You can only play so much golf before you get bored.
Went back to work part time as a greenkeeper and I love it.
Finances dictate decisions but if you can just do it.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
I started setting up my pensions to retire at 55 when I was in my early 20's. Unfortunately, life takes over and other priorities came along - some which I wasted a load of money on (don't buy speedboats if you don't like wasting money).
I've no regrets, and I'll now work to pretty close to state pension age - but I should be OK once I get there thanks to some relatively brief investments I made when I could afford to make them.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I will die working at my desk at 75.... never will see state pensions since whichever govt comes in, it will keep moving it out. At the end the state will take my pension. Euromillion is my only retirement option... can never find the winning numbers though

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
I will die working at my desk at 75.... never will see state pensions since whichever govt comes in, it will keep moving it out. At the end the state will take my pension. Euromillion is my only retirement option... can never find the winning numbers though

I think a basic state pension should be optional to anybody who has paid a total of 45 years of NI contributions, I know some people can't avoid been unable to work, but plenty can, and do - those that contribute for a certain number of years should be rewarded in some way for working for what will be the majority of their lives.
Of course this would benefit low earners more than high earners, who will probably have decent pension provisions - the low earners are more than likely to be doing more physical jobs which take their toll on the body - the notion of doing what I do at 67 years plus is crazy. My knees are on their way out already....