Rescue club use

k13ran

Visit site
Hi all, I'm new to the forum and the game!

I have been playing since the end of last summer and think I'm doing ok, I'm at a level where I can hit a driver fairly consistently.

Anyhow I started with just a set of irons, was getting on ok so wanted a driver, but a friend of mine persuaded me to get a rescue club to begin with. So I bought a taylormade super fast 2.0 rescue
club. My problem is, I didn't get on with it, found it hard to hit so left it alone. I got impatient and bought a driver which I have been hitting fairly well.

I'm wondering if woods are a better option and to get rid of the rescue. Or should I persist with the rescue. I find I need a club for my second shots from the fairway, or from the longer grass (where it's not uncommon for me to be).
Can I use my rescue for all situations? I find I can hit a 5 iron ok but need a little more distance.

Sorry for the babble, I hope you can help

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Rescues come in several 'styles' and it may be that the SF does not suit your sing style. It actually seems to suit a fairly flat swing and is more useful from fairway/semi than from deeper rough where other styles can be more useful. It is quite deep front to back for its face depth. You may be better with a chunky one - which can also be more versatile too.

Even a low loft Rescue would leave quite a gap between 5 iron and Driver, so you are likely to need 2 clubs to complete that end of the bag (I actually have 3).

In order to prevent an expensive buy/sell exercise - though that can be a hobby within the game - I'd advise trying several different Rescues and of different types. The TM TP is actually a different style to the SF - the Rough as well as Fairway/Semi useful one - Ping also make the chunky style like the TM TP. A 4 Wood might also be useful, though again I'd advise trying before you buy.

Enjoy the search - and Welcome.

Last edited:

k13ran

Visit site
Thanks for the quick response. I was swinging the driver quite high at first, but as I flattened it off it's going much better, maybe I should try a flatter swing with the rescue also. I can feel a lot of time at the range coming, although I usually use most of my clubs, I will try concentrating on the rescue to see if I can nail it.

Thanks for the advice, I didn't realise similar clubs could be so different

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Hybrids can be used anywhere.
Off the tee, from fairway bunkers, from the fairway, from the rough, chipping or even putting if you like....

YOur swing speed can be a deciding factor in choosing hybrids or fairway woods.
You, generally, need a reasonably quick swing speed to get low lofted hybrids working properly.
A fairway wood is,generally, much easier to use than a low loft hybrid.
Also, if you're a slower swing speed,you'll get more distance from a wood than a hybrid of the same loft. This is due to extra spin provided by the wood over the hybrid, the ball stays in the air longer and it goes further.
A stronger player can get as much distance from the hybrid as the extra spin from the wood kills the distance.

Try to find a decent 5 wood that you can hit. Then worry about 3 woods.

Evesdad

Tour Winner
Visit site
As many have said its a personal thing and try as many as you can, which can be tricky if your looking at older models. I had an 18 degree one that I really struggled with most of the time. I changed this to a 21 degree and is now my go to club.

To the question of off the tee, absolutely. If the driver is misbehaving I turn to the rescue and with a good sweet hit its not much behind the driver.