Ne'er again to see England, in lands far away,
Through death and destruction, through blood sweat and tears,
I carried my master, along with my peers,
So I ask you to remember a while,
Along with the soldiers, in smart rank and file,
Remember our beauty, the strength of our kind,
As we galloped through danger, without care to mind,
For we were the horses thrust into war,
And we gave up our lives for your peace evermore.

The War Horse, 1914 - 1918FB_IMG_1699785608573.jpg

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Visiting my daughter in Odiham this weekend so just attended the one there. A great turnout by the locals. As ex navy it was the first one I have attended that was not primarily naval personnel attending. Twenty four years since I attended one as a member of the marching platoon. Just where do the years go.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
“We won didn't we Chief?”

“That's it lad, you can go home now,
the fightings done and we won.”

“It doesn't feel like we won Chief”
What with so many young men and
women dead.
So many lives ruined.”

“No lad, it doesn't
But we survived, so we won.”

“What'll I do now Chief?

“You'll be fine lad.
They're making a land fit for heroes back home”
They'll take care of you.

“But Chief, my mind's a mess and
my body sore
I really don't know who I am anymore
How will I survive the peace?”

“Don't you worry lad
You've done your duty
They'll look after you.”

“Hello Chief it's been a few years
We've shed a few tears
And time has passed,
But we're still here eh Chief
We won.”

“How you keeping lad?
Did they keep their promises
As you kept yours
Fighting in their wars?”

“No Chief, I sleep rough on the street
And my mental health isn't good.
I have to beg for help
But you know Chief, I don't like to.
But we won though, didn't we Chief
Just they forgot to build a land fit for heroes.”

“Aye lad, we won.
Here's five pounds
Go get yourself a coffee lad.
There's no more I can do.
Since I got back home
I've been just the same as you.”

“But we'll get through it won't we Chief?”

“Of course lad, we always do.
We have to
We owe it to our fallen shipmates.
They may forget us and the promises made
Leaving our heroes on the street.
But we never forget.
No lad.
We never forget.”

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I didn’t manage to get to a service today…but as ever - remembering my grandfather who fought and survived Gallipoli, the Salonica campaign and in 1918 the final advances in France , plus my dad crewing Liberty ships as they ploughed through dangerous and U2 Wolf Pack infested waters of the North Atlantic and the med in WWII, - the words of Lewis Grassic Gibbon

FOR I WILL GIVE YOU THE MORNING STAR
In the sunset of an age and an epoch we may write that for epitaph of the men who were of it. They went quiet and brave from the lands they loved, though seldom of that love might they speak, it was not in them to tell in words of the earth that moved and lived and abided, their life and enduring love. And who knows at the last what memories of it were with them, the springs and the winters of this land and all the sounds and scents of it that had once been theirs, deep, and a passion of their blood and spirit, those four who died in France?

Last edited:

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Spent the weekend in London, yesterday at the Royal Albert Hall. Today watching Bro in law and his Pal ( ex Woofers ) and 10,000 others parade down Whitehall. It was a truly memorable weekend. I really wouldn’t know where to start. But,
Watching the Royal Albert Hall on the telly now, it reminds me of going to the football. You see more on the telly, but you’re not there, you’re not emotionally attached , you’re not Passing Missis T hankies. It’s not intimate. You don’t get to walk on the floor afterwards picking up poppy petals.
It was emotionally epic.

Today it was cold, wet and miserable. But the parade, Wow just Wow.We were at the end of Whitehall where they turn right. Talking to a couple from Preston, her bro in law went by in a wheel chair. She was overjoyed, she never knew he was going( Her partner plays at Blackburn GC). Just watching the ex servicemen and women walking by. Injured, blind, disabled, old and ill. Flippin eck they still March with pride.
Bro in law was buzzing before and after the parade in Horse guards parade. Telling stories and listening to stories he had heard dozens of times. The two minute silence was impeccably silent.

I Joined the Royal British Legion about 5 years ago, been the branch treasurer the last 3 years and heavily involved in the Poppy appeal. Collecting the pots tomorrow after we have dropped the kids off from School. Silhouettes to take down and money to count over the next two weeks. it has been a busily brutal two weeks. And still not finished. Hopefully with the tremendous help from our local communities we will smash £20,000 again. About £1,400 from me walk a mile/Tash shave. Every penny will be well spent hopefully ensuring Those that need it will get it.
This weekend has been an emotionally poignant reminder of why me and Missis T got involved with the RBL In our retirement.

Last edited: