regripping - adding 2 extra layers

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
so due to lack of practice and now only owning 1 set of clubs!!!!! I thought I may aswell regrip them. Done a few checks using online thingy bobs and I am +2 layers apparently. I have regripped before so know what I am doing ish just never done extra layers.

Is it just a case of remove old grips/tape and bang on 2 layers of masking tape followed by one of grip tape then soak & grip?

I assume its easy enough to put the grip on even with extra layers?

Now what grips do I go for... decisions, decisions (oh and getting a Yes Donna 2 putter :p )

thanks in advance for any advice.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
What size grips going onto what size shaft (butt) Gibbo?

If you have a .600 shaft and add a .600 grip you will just need to add your build up layers plus your grip tape.

If you're putting .580 grips on .600 shafts it has the effect of adding the equivilent of an extra layer of tape. In this case you'd only need one additional layer plus your grip tape.

I have a standard size grip with 3 build up layers, 4 wraps total with the grip tape and they slide on no problem. Just make sure you use plenty of solvent.

Another putter eh. Where's the face palm smiley :thup:

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
yeah not a belly though, the Ping redwood putter will always stay but as I have lots of practice time I am gonna go the the donna2 as it seems a nice compromise between blade/mallet.
http://golfdepot.co.uk/product/details/yes-putter-donna-two-donnaii/

hmm not sure what my shafts are, DG S300 (I think they are .600) and probs gonna get Lamkin crossline tour red which are .580

so 1 layer + 1 tape = sorted

thanks as I didnt even think of diameters tbh

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Yes putters are quality bits of kit. I had a Yes Robin for a while and it was a good flat stick only reason it got replaced was I got fitted for my Scotty.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Had my clubs fitted by my pro and after the extensions had been fitted I asked him about grip size. He measured me up and said that I do not need a midsize but I am at the top end of the standard range. HE put one extra alyer of tape and the clubs feel so much nicer for it. I think it has definitely made a difference. If it says you need extra layers then do it mate.

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
i was talked into putting a midsize grip on a mizuno fli-hi 2 iron. completly ruined the club for me so i ened up selling it again.

bigslice

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'ts daft. Honest to God....... Daft! :mad:

..... And not cheap either :mad:

I'd never buy one, but the temptation is always there

im tempted with the mizzy ones grain flow forged. even when im putting with my scotty, im thinking 'the mizzy will be softer'. always niggling away at me. mental