Recommend me somewhere 'Special' for a Day in 2014 ?

D

Deleted member 17920

The Hotchkin is a lovely course, but the bunkers are something else.

The Bracken is a goat track, built in a swamp.
Wow some statement that is! How long is it since you played it?, The course has had tons of drainage work done to it.

Come over in the summer if you think its a goat track and I don't mind proving that statement to be wrong. Even now its only just slightly damp, Fairways are running lovely and greens are really good.

D

Deleted member 1147

I played Woodhall Spa this summer, in the dry, so can't comment on the drainage, but the Bracken was a very nice course, particularly the back 9. I'd go as far as to say it's one of the better "2nd courses" I've played.

lobthewedge

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Dont know my English geography that well, but reckon you could get to Close House in Northumberland in 2 hours from Yorkshire. Its the place that sponsors Lee Westwood (the horse on his hat) and is a great place to stay and play golf.

Get it googled.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Wow some statement that is! How long is it since you played it?, The course has had tons of drainage work done to it.

Come over in the summer if you think its a goat track and I don't mind proving that statement to be wrong. Even now its only just slightly damp, Fairways are running lovely and greens are really good.

I've played it 4 times now, and I've never been impressed. The layout is poor, although granted there are a few good holes, and I can't see how it would ever be made to drain well, given the soil it is built on. For me, it's a 3 hour drive, and with the bracken at the end of it, it's not worth it.

Macster

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thx for everyone's suggestions, and Woodhall seems the overwhelming fave :)
TBH, I'd imagined it would be too hard for higher handicappers, but there again, I arent gonna get somewhere special that has a layout thats too Bandit Friendly !
Besides, warn them to take enough balls and a bucket & spade and they'l be fine :)

Perhaps !

D

Deleted member 17920

Thx for everyone's suggestions, and Woodhall seems the overwhelming fave :)
TBH, I'd imagined it would be too hard for higher handicappers, but there again, I arent gonna get somewhere special that has a layout thats too Bandit Friendly !
Besides, warn them to take enough balls and a bucket & spade and they'l be fine :)

Perhaps !
What month are you looking at booking?