Recommend me somewhere 'Special' for a Day in 2014 ?

Macster

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi all, I havent been on for a while, buts after agreeing with friends that we wanted to diary a round at somewhere 'Special' this year, I thought I'd turn to the GM 'Massiv' for some inspiration and suggestions pls ?

4 of us wanting somewhere rather tasty for a day, somewhere on the Golfing Bucket List perhaps, but equally, perhaps a hidden gem that would be a real treat.

Handicaps range from 8 to 25, so it needs to be 'playable', preferably Parkland or Heathland'ish, we're not huge Links fans - or I'm not anyway !

We're in East Yorks, so I guess a 2hr Drive would be best, leaving us in fit state to play, but an overnight might also be cool too.

Over to you all :)
Thx !

D

Deleted member 1147

Have you played, or thought about, the Yorkshire/Notts top courses Ganton, Lindrick, Hollinwell, Moortown, I understand some have been RC hosts?

coxyripit

Visit site
Totally agree with everyone who's said Woodhall Spa!!!!! Absolutely beautiful golf course, my girlfriend treated me to a round with my best mate for my birthday and it's the best round of golf I've ever had. I actually preferred it to St. Andrews if I'm totally honest! Play the Hotchkin course though!

:thup:

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
I'm going out on a limb here and will recommend this course I bet hardly anyone has heard of. It's called Woodhall Spa.... Stay over at The Petwood Hotel and play both courses there, but The Hotchin is the main event

Having played Hollinwell a couple of times I would say it's nice, but not really bucket list material. Actually prefer Sherwood Forest myself, but that's possibly because I played better there than I did at Hollinwell that beat me up a bit. Also played Moortown last year and apart from my one and only hole in 1 occurring there it's not in Woodhall Spa's class IMHO.

D

Deleted member 17920

Hi all, I havent been on for a while, buts after agreeing with friends that we wanted to diary a round at somewhere 'Special' this year, I thought I'd turn to the GM 'Massiv' for some inspiration and suggestions pls ?

4 of us wanting somewhere rather tasty for a day, somewhere on the Golfing Bucket List perhaps, but equally, perhaps a hidden gem that would be a real treat.

Handicaps range from 8 to 25, so it needs to be 'playable', preferably Parkland or Heathland'ish, we're not huge Links fans - or I'm not anyway !

We're in East Yorks, so I guess a 2hr Drive would be best, leaving us in fit state to play, but an overnight might also be cool too.

Thx !
What month are you wanting to play? Woodhall Spa is the obvious answer to your question. Hotchkin is a superb heathland course and Bracken is a cracking parkland course as well.

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Moortown is great, not played Alwoodly but it's a must I've heard. Like others Woodhall Spa will be nothing like you've ever played before. Rockliffe near Darlington is also a great course and well designed to. Sherwood Forest is also great as his Hallamshire.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If you fancy something special the 2010 at Celtic manor is awesome and your treated like a king, clubs waiting for you on the range next to the first tee, locker with your name on it, and a great course.

One tip I will give is try to play the 2010 on your second day if your doing a stay over, we played it on the first day and while the roman road wasn't a bad course, compared with your experience on the 2010 it left the weekend a little deflated,

If I was to go back I'd play the Monty on day 1, then 2010 on day 2

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
If you fancy something special the 2010 at Celtic manor is awesome and your treated like a king, clubs waiting for you on the range next to the first tee, locker with your name on it, and a great course.

One tip I will give is try to play the 2010 on your second day if your doing a stay over, we played it on the first day and while the roman road wasn't a bad course, compared with your experience on the 2010 it left the weekend a little deflated,

If I was to go back I'd play the Monty on day 1, then 2010 on day 2

Second that, they do know how to look after you.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site

Thx !

Woodhall Spa is a stern test, and you need to be a good bunker player to survive. Worth considering if you have a 25 handicapper amongst the group.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Some good shouts so far but I wouldn't go for any of them.

2 hours from Yorkshire gets you across to Southport or the Wirral, take your pick from Birkdale, Lytham, Hillside, Formby, S&A, West Lancs or Hoylake (venue for the Open this year). I know you said your not overly keen on links but these are the finest courses in the country, what better way to mark a special day? :thup:

D

Deleted member 17920

2 hours from Yorkshire gets you across to Southport or the Wirral, take your pick from Birkdale, Lytham, Hillside, Formby, S&A, West Lancs or Hoylake (venue for the Open this year). I know you said your not overly keen on links but these are the finest courses in the country, what better way to mark a special day? :thup:
Are you a car salesman or what :D So he says he ain't keen on links so every suggestion you give him is a links course brilliant. Ha ha

D

Deleted Member 1156

Are you a car salesman or what :D So he says he ain't keen on links so every suggestion you give him is a links course brilliant. Ha ha

What colour would you like Sir, we can do it in red, blue, silver or black? :D

To be fair, he did ask for somewhere special......everyone else suggested parkland and heathland tracks......but he did say 'special'..... ;)

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

If you wanted a "mix", one of the above, plus Delamere (Heathland) cracking hidden gem, all within 40mins of Liverpool.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I would also suggest somewhere on the Wirral. If you stay the night there is a great Holiday Inn at Hoylake thats great value.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Woodhall Spa is a stern test, and you need to be a good bunker player to survive. Worth considering if you have a 25 handicapper amongst the group.

I'd kind of agree, but I am at that standard and it was a bit of a revelation for me. As I ended up laying up quite a bit to avoid the bunkers around the green with my second shots. And guess what, my score improved, I avoided most bunkers and I shot 90 (which for me on a course like that is good) where as I've struggled to break 100 on some right bunkerless goat tracks.

In fact the Hotchkin is one of the few courses that I have beat both my mates I usually play with, both of which are mid to low teen handicappers. Which may be why I have such favourable view of it.