Hand notice in before having a new job lined up

• Thread starter Deleted member 25172
  • Start date

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Apologies if this has been suggested already, but why not just find another job? No need to hand in notice or anything, just get cracking while in your current role. In my experience, workplaces don't change their way of working very much, and even if they say they will, things soon creep back to normal.
There are two advantages of this, firstly you might find something better. Secondly, this is something you have completed control of, unlike your current situation, and this feeling of 'agency' can be quite invigorating and positive.
Good luck whatever you choose, being unhappy at work is no fun at all.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Walked out of two jobs. Best thing I’ve ever done, would do it again if I had to.

Get a sick note for stress, take 6 month off to find another job and get paid.
It’s immoral but you only work there, you don’t own it, your just a biological machine.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Lots of good advice already, one thing that hasn't been covered is why the above is true? What would happen if you didn't complete a campaign? Unfortunately, you may already have set a precedent by accepting more work, in my experience whenever an inch is given a mile is taken. I've seen it so often, workloads are increased, an odd extra hour turns into a regular pattern, suddenly teams are working 7 days a week.

You may not quite have reached the above extreme yet, but what happens if you don't complete your workload? Providing you are not negligent, doing nothing is clearly not ok, but if you work at the same rate as all your colleagues and you communicate clearly ("By close of business today I will be able to complete X,Y,Z and A,B,C will be completed tomorrow") any sensible manager would notice the risk and spread the load more appropriately, I imagine the only reason they haven't yet is because you keep completing everything successfully.

The alternative is if you are willing to do the work of 2 people, then make it worthwhile, if you got paid 1.5 times the pay for the job but produced twice as much as everyone else, everyone is winning, the company doesn't have to pay 2 people and you get a bunch of cash to waste on golf kit. It may be too late here as the company has already seen you were willing to do more for less, so it depends whether they think they could replace you with someone similar or if they see your value, no harm in asking though.
I think this is a very good point. We get a lot of courier drivers coming to us at work and quite frequently I hear the complaint that the depot are trying to load an additional route onto their vehicle. The new ones flog themselves to do it, the wily ones take a whole load of parcels back to the depot and tell the managers the extra is not possible. That only has to happen a couple of times for the load to be reduced to a standard level.

The OP is currently being taken advantage of by his bosses but unfortunately he is carrying out all of the actual load. A realignment needs to take place to bring him back to a realistic workload .

Whatever the OP decides, make sure you put your health first. Good luck.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I walked out of a job after three days. Role expectation nothing like the advertised role and the one I interviewed for. I simply told the manager I wouldn't claim for the three days pay due, wouldn't work my notice and as far as the CV goes the job never happened. Felt a very big decision for me as I'm usually someone that likes order and clarity in my life so jumping with nothing to go to went against the grain. Worked out in the end but not something I'd consider now

D

Deleted member 25172

Didn’t expect it to be about 50 answers to this if I’m honest, so once again thanks all for the feedback.

Have already started sending out a few applications for other jobs, and will continue doing so in the coming weeks as I believe I’ve passed the point of no return regarding the situation at work, and cannot see what changes could be put in place for any improvements to come from it.

Having been thinking of this quite a lot over the weekend, I do realise I have myself to blame partly for the situation, as I’ve been taking on extra work since day one, but yeah, it’s really starting to take its toll now mentally with not a day passing by without feeling that it’s just a matter of playing catch-up and not being ahead.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Didn’t expect it to be about 50 answers to this if I’m honest, so once again thanks all for the feedback.

Have already started sending out a few applications for other jobs, and will continue doing so in the coming weeks as I believe I’ve passed the point of no return regarding the situation at work, and cannot see what changes could be put in place for any improvements to come from it.

Having been thinking of this quite a lot over the weekend, I do realise I have myself to blame partly for the situation, as I’ve been taking on extra work since day one, but yeah, it’s really starting to take its toll now mentally with not a day passing by without feeling that it’s just a matter of playing catch-up and not being ahead.

Have the chat with the manager and see what happens but most importantly take care of yourself especially if you see some depression triggers and signs emerging.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site

Taking on extra work, or being given extra work? Big difference, and you've been given the extra work in this instance so this is NOT on you.

Completely different field of work, but very similar situation, 3 of us have 2 regions, 5 of us have 1 region. Former boss acknowledged that there was a work imbalance & said that "the team" needed to find a way around it. Obviously that involved some people taking on more work so guess what, nothing changed. New boss & a slight change of reporting system mean that we now have a more informal reporting system. New boss tells me that in recent meetings he has been approached by other team members behind my back who have asked him what can be about it as they were concerned about my stress levels. One of them has run some reports showing the current disparity in levels (which was quite shocking as I have nearly 3 times the level of work of the lowest team member) and so hopefully there is some light at the end of the tunnel. That said I'm not holding my breath as these figures showed that we are carrying a pair of lazy sods of the first order.

Any chance there are people there who would be prepared to do the same for you, or has it got beyond that? Either way it goes I wish you the best with it as I know that feeling of playing catch up rather than being ahead of the game and it ain't fun.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Burning "go-to" people; this was one of my pet issues, which I raised at numerous meetings down the years. I'd hear managers talk about Joe Bloggs doing a great job, and Joe Bloggs doing great things, and Joe Bloggs doing great things.

First of all, recognise, respect and reward them for their efforts. Acknowledge to them that their work is at a level that is recognised as being exemplary. Ask them are they ok working at that level over a period of time, and tell them its ok to ease off occasionally. Let other team members see and hear you, as a manager, acknowledging the extra effort. And, as a manager, ask yourself is it healthy to have someone working at that level over a sustained period.

Next, look at the rest of the team. Can the load be spread? Is Fred Smith 'hiding behind' Joe Bloggs' efforts, i.e. are you as a manager rewarding poor performance by leaving Fred alone whilst Joe is picking up extra work? Is it a training issue for the rest of the team? Is another team member required?

Pretty much every manager has "go-to" people. Its a natural result of group dynamics, and of the "peer-prodigy" relationships that develop in hierarchical management structures. But a good manager will manage those relationships and the workloads constructively.

At the monthly management meeting we'd go through the sick, lame and lazy list. Who was off and why. What could we do to support them. We'd also discuss the reasons behind anyone handing in their notice. For me, burning "go-to" people wasn't acceptable, and my management team knew that.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Have done it once before, when much younger. Had out of hours cover added to our role on a trial basis, promised a set sum for the trial, then negotiation to make it permanent if it worked. It was successful, the set sum never materialized for the trial period, and a new rota with out of hours cover appeared with no negotiation for the additional work. Took it up with our then director in a meeting with the team, his exact words were "you can like it or F*$k off". I quit on the spot. In those days, I was on 3 months notice, got marched out by security that morning, and paid the three months noice by the company. Started a new job a week later, got lucky that time.

There has already been some good advice on here, I don't know how old you are, or what commitments you have, so if I was you, I would look for a new job before handing any notice in. It just gives peace of mind.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Burning "go-to" people; this was one of my pet issues, which I raised at numerous meetings down the years. I'd hear managers talk about Joe Bloggs doing a great job, and Joe Bloggs doing great things, and Joe Bloggs doing great things.

First of all, recognise, respect and reward them for their efforts. Acknowledge to them that their work is at a level that is recognised as being exemplary. Ask them are they ok working at that level over a period of time, and tell them its ok to ease off occasionally. Let other team members see and hear you, as a manager, acknowledging the extra effort. And, as a manager, ask yourself is it healthy to have someone working at that level over a sustained period.

Next, look at the rest of the team. Can the load be spread? Is Fred Smith 'hiding behind' Joe Bloggs' efforts, i.e. are you as a manager rewarding poor performance by leaving Fred alone whilst Joe is picking up extra work? Is it a training issue for the rest of the team? Is another team member required?

Pretty much every manager has "go-to" people. Its a natural result of group dynamics, and of the "peer-prodigy" relationships that develop in hierarchical management structures. But a good manager will manage those relationships and the workloads constructively.

At the monthly management meeting we'd go through the sick, lame and lazy list. Who was off and why. What could we do to support them. We'd also discuss the reasons behind anyone handing in their notice. For me, burning "go-to" people wasn't acceptable, and my management team knew that.

How familiar does that sound; very!

Don’t suppose you fancy coming back do you Brian?

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
How familiar does that sound; very!

Don’t suppose you fancy coming back do you Brian?

To be honest Richard I don't miss the daily drudge of achieving the sales and service number, of the training academy hitting the bums on seats requirements or of admin processing all the orders. Was the JIT process in the warehouse achieving the right numbers, and were they shipping on time. And on it goes with quality, H&S, HR etc etc.

However, I really do miss the HR bits, of developing individuals and seeing them be promoted or move onto opportunities we couldn't offer them. I have been tempted to come back and do some consultancy work, developing managers. And I have turned down 3 months in the US doing it, knowing that 3 months becomes 4 and then there's the telephone support expected when the team goes 'live.'

But then I open another bottle of Rioja...:)

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
I walked out of a couple of jobs in the early 60s but there was plenty of other jobs available back then, and I was young free and single :love:
I always remember the old Johnny Paycheck song, Take this Job and Stuff It I aint working here no more.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Back in the 80's one of my best mates worked as a sales rep for Biffa the skip/rubbish bunch.
He told me that a few of the other reps almost took it in turns to hand in their notice, go into a meeting with the boss and come out with a pay rise.
Until one day, an unsuspecting chancer came out with a P45...
They didn't try again.....

D

Deleted member 25172

Ok, so just a little update.

During the bi-weekly 1-2-1 with my boss I raised the issues that I have regarding all the extra work, how many more hours it actually comes to etc etc.

To be honest we have touched upon the subject before, but not in the same way as yesterday. As I am a bit of a wimp I didn't say straight out that I am or will be looking for something new if nothing changes, but I think it must've shone through that I'm not very happy with how things are currently.

He's always been quite sympathetic with how I've been feeling, but I also know that he's not the top dog, so he can only pass it on up the food chain. He replied to me today saying that the powers higher up will look at the team structure and see what we can do. I'll take their word for it for now and crack on for a little while longer. Time will tell when I have my next breakdown. I promise not to start a new thread here, but at least have the courtesy to continue on this one instead. :)

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Ok, so just a little update.

During the bi-weekly 1-2-1 with my boss I raised the issues that I have regarding all the extra work, how many more hours it actually comes to etc etc.

To be honest we have touched upon the subject before, but not in the same way as yesterday. As I am a bit of a wimp I didn't say straight out that I am or will be looking for something new if nothing changes, but I think it must've shone through that I'm not very happy with how things are currently.

He's always been quite sympathetic with how I've been feeling, but I also know that he's not the top dog, so he can only pass it on up the food chain. He replied to me today saying that the powers higher up will look at the team structure and see what we can do. I'll take their word for it for now and crack on for a little while longer. Time will tell when I have my next breakdown. I promise not to start a new thread here, but at least have the courtesy to continue on this one instead. :)

At least you have said your piece, there is a lot to be said for not keeping it bottled up.

Hope things ease or good look with the job hunting.

D

Deleted member 25172

Well, it took a couple of weeks, but it was inevitable. The big mental breakdown came this Monday when it all just swept over me. The last 2 days have been spent looking out the window when I haven’t been tucked under the duvet crying for nothing.

Sent a message to my boss yesterday afternoon and asked to have a conversation first thing in the morning today together with his boss as well.

Laid it all out, my previous history of anxiety/depression, the melt down, the workload and stress. It was harder to talk about then what I expected, but it feels good now I didn’t hold anything back.

They’re going to sit down today to look at what tasks they can shift off from me ASAP.

They sent me home and told me to come back on Monday and To try not to think about work at all and just rest.

Hopefully there will be some change for the better. At the same time, it’s also obvious that I myself have quite some work to do to give myself the best chance of being happy and as free from stress and anxiety as I can be, both at and outside of work.