Hand notice in before having a new job lined up

• Thread starter Deleted member 25172
  • Start date

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Thanks all for the replies given.

I'll have a good think over this weekend over how to handle this. Some here have already met me and may know that I tend to wear my heart on my sleeve from time to time. I can be very impulsive and make rash decisions that I later come to regret. On the other hand I'm probably the most conflict scared person you'd ever meet, so a thing like this is a big one for me. I've previously dealt with depression/anxiety on and off for quite a few years time, and I start to see way to many familiar patterns emerging at the moment.

Come Monday, I hope I've gathered enough self esteem to ask my line manager for a chat to let my feelings known.

Thanks all again for the response, really appreciated.

Well done, I would request that a member of your company's HR also attends that meeting.
{Hoping HR is still a term used for the old Personnel Dept.;)}

Bazzatron

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Sounds an awful situation to be in, speaking to the boss has to be the first port call, HR will ask you that first so don't delay that bit, then straight to HR who have a duty of care to their employees.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Golf is expensive fella. I’d start looking around and also try and get a proper line of meetings set up to put your point across.

Your op appears to cover it all imo.

Also, as and when you do leave. Don’t forget to give us all a heads up of what odds you’ve stacked up ???

Griffsters

Hacker
Visit site
Being in a job you hate can be soul destroying, make a change. I worked in IT for years as 2nd / 3rd line support but it bored me silly for a large proportion of it but I was stuck there due to family and commitments. I didn't have the experience in other fields to get an equivalent paying role. Long story short, I worked out what was the bottom line i needed to earn to live and looked at roles I *wanted* to do that would get me experience. Cut my cloth according to means and all that, other half was great and daughter was by this time more self sufficient. Four years later it has literally just come together, new year saw a job offer that I see as vindication of the decision.

I took severance package that whilst not exactly massive gave me a little breathing room, so f your company does anything like that might be worth asking... I left and got minimum wage work to start just to keep money coming it. There were times when I literally thought 'WTF have I done' but gradually things improved as I progressed through various roles gaining valuable experience.

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:

Griffsters

Hacker
Visit site

I'll have a good think over this weekend over how to handle this. Some here have already met me and may know that I tend to wear my heart on my sleeve from time to time. I can be very impulsive and make rash decisions that I later come to regret. On the other hand I'm probably the most conflict scared person you'd ever meet, so a thing like this is a big one for me. I've previously dealt with depression/anxiety on and off for quite a few years time, and I start to see way to many familiar patterns emerging at the moment.

Come Monday, I hope I've gathered enough self esteem to ask my line manager for a chat to let my feelings known.

I absolutely get where you are coming from and a lot of my issues came from poor work life balance, lack of personal fulfilment that lead to self esteem issues and a vicious downward spiral personally. Work is a massive part of life that affects everything, particularly if it is stressful and very demanding like you say. I'd say just be honest with yourself about what outcome you want and where you would like to be then make a plan to get there. Money isn't everything.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I ended up doing two full time roles like the OP. I was doing the medical recruitment role I had been taken on in. looking after everything to do with the rotational doctors that usually come in August and February. At the time there was a temp being paid via an agency sitting next to me doing locum cover for all areas of the trust on a daily basis when there were gaps due to sickness or long term bookings were coming up for renewal or required. As part of cost cuts she was let go and I got her role on top of mine

I managed to stick it for just over three years but it really had an impact on my health and I really felt unable to provide a level of service I was happy with. I was on the verge of walking out and like the OP with nothing lined up but couldn't face the financial uncertainty or really be able to cope with not working financially for any period of times. I raised it in my one-to-ones raised it with HR but as the role was attached to the HR function that got short shrift and basically told to put up or shut up. Fortunately in September 2018 I got the role I have now and haven't been happier in the trust for many many years. I was lucky though and I empathise with the OP. It is a tough decision.

I did think about getting signed off sick with stress but knowing how HR used absence to start managing some employees out (sad but true and I certain not just in the NHS) and knowing the workload would be there plus a backlog if I returned it didn't seem an option. I ran it past the union rep (off record) but there wasn't a lot they seemed able to do. I hope the OP can come to a decision that works. I was really concerned leaving with nothing to go to especially at my age in the job market and how that would look and having to defend the inevitable questions at any future interview

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
If you’re unemployed then you can bugger off back to your own country! Why should my taxes pay for lazy scroungers who are better golfers than me

????

Last edited:

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have taken a gamble before by asking for a meeting to discuss workloads and my opening line was that the outcome of the meeting would decide whether I handed in my notice at the end of it. Surprisingly everything got sorted pretty quickly thereafter

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Lots of good advice for the OP
... Let's start on the tangents...
I ended up doing two full time roles like the OP. I was doing the medical recruitment role I had been taken on in. looking after everything to do with the rotational doctors that usually come in August and February. At the time there was a temp being paid via an agency sitting next to me doing locum cover for all areas of the trust on a daily basis when there were gaps due to sickness or long term bookings were coming up for renewal or required. As part of cost cuts she was let go and I got her role on top of mine

I managed to stick it for just over three years but it really had an impact on my health and I really felt unable to provide a level of service I was happy with. I was on the verge of walking out and like the OP with nothing lined up but couldn't face the financial uncertainty or really be able to cope with not working financially for any period of times. I raised it in my one-to-ones raised it with HR but as the role was attached to the HR function that got short shrift and basically told to put up or shut up. Fortunately in September 2018 I got the role I have now and haven't been happier in the trust for many many years. I was lucky though and I empathise with the OP. It is a tough decision.

I did think about getting signed off sick with stress but knowing how HR used absence to start managing some employees out (sad but true and I certain not just in the NHS) and knowing the workload would be there plus a backlog if I returned it didn't seem an option. I ran it past the union rep (off record) but there wasn't a lot they seemed able to do. I hope the OP can come to a decision that works. I was really concerned leaving with nothing to go to especially at my age in the job market and how that would look and having to defend the inevitable questions at any future interview

Homer what's so sad about managing our some of the employees with absence problems?

Providing it's the fakers and wastrals that ultimately get ousted then crack on I say

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I've spoken to managers on several occasions before about workload, but nothing seem to get better, but just more work getting piled on. I'm an anxious person as is, but this is really starting to take it's toll now. Some friends have just said to "work less" and look for other things in the mean time, but I can't work less, cause I'm not in a line of work where I can delay things and just show up doing nothing. Campaigns and comms to customers has to go out.

Lots of good advice already, one thing that hasn't been covered is why the above is true? What would happen if you didn't complete a campaign? Unfortunately, you may already have set a precedent by accepting more work, in my experience whenever an inch is given a mile is taken. I've seen it so often, workloads are increased, an odd extra hour turns into a regular pattern, suddenly teams are working 7 days a week.

You may not quite have reached the above extreme yet, but what happens if you don't complete your workload? Providing you are not negligent, doing nothing is clearly not ok, but if you work at the same rate as all your colleagues and you communicate clearly ("By close of business today I will be able to complete X,Y,Z and A,B,C will be completed tomorrow") any sensible manager would notice the risk and spread the load more appropriately, I imagine the only reason they haven't yet is because you keep completing everything successfully.

The alternative is if you are willing to do the work of 2 people, then make it worthwhile, if you got paid 1.5 times the pay for the job but produced twice as much as everyone else, everyone is winning, the company doesn't have to pay 2 people and you get a bunch of cash to waste on golf kit. It may be too late here as the company has already seen you were willing to do more for less, so it depends whether they think they could replace you with someone similar or if they see your value, no harm in asking though.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Couple of points that don't seem to have been made

1. Leaving without anywhere to go could leave you in an even more stressful predicament, and with no obvious solutions if you struggle to get something. At least you currently know you have a choice fully under your control.

2. Print out a bullet point sheet and give it to your manager when you meet to discuss. Take your time setting it out and wording it ( e.g. never use 'can't' - use 'struggling to balance' etc. This does two things, provides a reminder to you on language and focus areas when in the meeting.

3. Follow-up the meeting in writing with direct reference to the sheet and what's been agreed (hopefully positively) by both parties. It should not be capable of being read as a list of demands!

All the best

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Some very good advice, but I would say have a plan and be prepared for the unexpected and the down right stupid.
Talk to your doctor about stress, make sure it’s recorded. You don’t have to use it but it might come in handy down the line .. and give you some phrases that get the HR teams ears.
With respect to HR, they work for the company, not for you. In the end they will protect the company if you push them. Don’t have any expectations of them , I hope they pleasantly surprise you.

Reading between the lines, I think your capable at what you do and seen as an asset. But a good manager manages their assets and protects them. If your manager knows his/her business they will move heaven and earth to keep you in good form. They should be asking you what you need as support how they can help etc .. then make it happen.

And no don’t walk, not until your ready. Look for solutions but don’t be afraid to play the system, after all, they will.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Most HR teams also dont want their organisation sued for bad practice
Yes that is what you would expect. But employment law won’t really prevent bad practice unless it’s a racial/ sexual malpractice. If it’s a clear breach of law, HR will take the risk ... employment law needs to improve in these areas. If you were guaranteed as the evidence is clear the penalties should be applied, but they are not always and there is some inconsistency making the risk worth taking for the HR teams.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Hope it goes well, lar.(y)