Recommend Me Some Sunglasses

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
As the title says, can anyone recommend sunglasses for playing golf in?

Obviously style is a personal thing, but what I'm looking for is something that's light enough to wear for 4-5 hours at a time, won't fall off or slip when playing a shot, and lenses that aren't so dark that you have to take them off when looking for a ball but cut enough light out so that it takes the strain off your eyes in bright sunlight.

I'm not particularly bothered about specific golf lenses that they say are easier to read greens etc with them on, but I'm not against them either.

They'll also get worn off the course, but golf is the main consideration.

Thanks.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I have many pairs but pretty much always end up coming back to my Oakley wraparounds (also have a couple of pairs of similar Bolles which do a similar job)

Only thing I would recommend is try before you buy as some will fit and some won't and the only way you can tell is to try them.

If you find a pair of Oakleys that you like, worth checking this site to see if they stock them as they are almost always cheaper

http://www.eyewearoutlet.co.uk/sunglasses-c76#t44

These are the pair I mainly wear

http://www.eyewearoutlet.co.uk/sung...smoke-with-tungsten-iridium-lens-09-685-p3412

DelB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've got a pair of Oakley Flakjackets with both red iridium lenses and a pair of persimmon golf specific lenses too. Wore them this morning and the definition they give you on the course and on the greens is just incredible. Circa £200 mind you!!

Essex_Stu

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Another vote for Flak Jackets. They are so comfy and you do forget you have them on. You can design your own on the Oakley website but they come in at £150+. I got a pair of Livestrongs for £95 and am going to put G30 lenses in for golf in the summer months.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies chaps.

The Flak Jackets are near the top of my list at the moment. My only concern is that I contrary to popular belief I have quite a small head and the frames look quite chunky. I normally go for very thin frames. Maybe the Half Jackets would be better.

Del (and anyone else who has the G30 golf lenses in Oakleys), as well as making the greens stand out, do they also cut out the glare from the sun?
The main reason I'm getting them is that I very often end up with a migraine after playing in bright sunshine, so easing the strain on my eyes is the important thing to me.

Richardb1012302

Club Champion
Visit site
Region3, i have some flaks along with a few other oakleys, great glasses in metallic red and brownish lenses that i would probably sell. Message me if interested and i can get some pics

Rich

DelB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Del (and anyone else who has the G30 golf lenses in Oakleys), as well as making the greens stand out, do they also cut out the glare from the sun?
The main reason I'm getting them is that I very often end up with a migraine after playing in bright sunshine, so easing the strain on my eyes is the important thing to me.

Yes, they do. I played in bright conditions yesterday with the sun quite low in the sky and with a woolly hat on! I made sure I had enought to drink all the way round as I, too, tend to get bad headaches if conditions are bright and I don't hydrate properly. As I said, I also have the Red Iridium lenses if conditions are very bright.

T

thecraw

Interesting thread this as its something I need to look into as I suffer badly from dry eyes. I was considering a pair of golf glasses to try and protect my eyes better from wind. I have some bolle ones that I wear for cycling and they have been a God send.

May have to investigate and invest in a pair for the golf!

DelB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Oakley all the way, Crawford! They're not cheap, but the quality is simply outstanding. I had my previous pair of Oakley Eyejackets for 12 years, so they more than pay for themselves over time. :D

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
another Oakley vote, they are made for sport, def helps the teary wind eye issue as well.............and you get to look cool on the GC :smirk:

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
Another vote for oakleys. I had a pair of Oakley Darts and they were fantastic until I lost them a couple of years ago whilst "tired and emotional". Fantastic lenses.

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
Interesting thread this as its something I need to look into as I suffer badly from dry eyes. I was considering a pair of golf glasses to try and protect my eyes better from wind. I have some bolle ones that I wear for cycling and they have been a God send.

May have to investigate and invest in a pair for the golf!

I'd echo this.

Wear contact lenses for golf so have been thinking about getting some glasses for all year really as the wind can really dry out my lenses making my eyes pretty uncomfortable.

Might have to treat myself........:whistle:

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
Wish I was able to get contact lenses in my eyes...Then I'd be able to wear properly cool sunglasses :(

Though, saying that, my prescription ones are pretty cool looking Nike ones, for a change.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Well I've just bought a pair of Flak Jackets off Ebay.

It looks as though they were custom ordered ones that were either returned or the customer never collected as they're not the colour scheme that most online retailers stock.

$(KGrHqFHJBcE7)y6+CbqBO+P!,2Tww~~60_3.JPG

I quite like the white frames, not sure on the red bits though, but they were relatively cheap considering they have polarised lenses in, and I can change the colour of the red bits for about a tenner.

Also found a place online with the G30 lenses fairly cheap so will wait until the glasses turn up to decide if the standard lenses are ok for golf or whether I want to have the XLJ's.

Not convinced they'll suit me but I reckon that anyone who's prepared to wear a Trilby for 18 holes of golf isn't that bothered about what they look like anyway! :D

I also suffer from watering eyes for the first few holes each time I play. It looks like I'm crying over missing a short putt!
Looking forward to seeing if these help with that too.

Thanks to everyone for the replies. :)

T

thecraw

Flak jackets seem to be the way forward is that the current cry?

How easy is it to read greens with these bad boys on???? What colour of lenses should I be looking at? I am a novice in this eye protection wearing sport so gimme advice please!!!

DelB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Oakley do a 'G30' golf specific lens and they are awesome. Really help with definition of greens etc on the course.