Recommend an SUV for a golfer

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
I had a mooch around some car dealers at the weekend, dropped into Toyota and had a look inside the RAV4, the boot was absolutely massive, very impressive.

I had a Hilux Surf, an Avensis tourer and 3 RAV’s from Toyota, they are all good motors and all took golf bags with ease. I traded my last RAV for an XC60, which I’ve just updated for another. The Volvo is hands above the Toyota.

Big85

Visit site
Hyundai Tuscon has a great sized boot and cut outs so the bag will fit in without having to remove the woods.

I have the Hyundai Tucson and have no problem fitting in my electric trolley and bag without having to take off wheels and clubs out. Did a trip to Scotland last year with 3 sets and trollies in the boot

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
It will definitely fall into the too big category but my VW Touareg R Line is absolutely beautiful. Lovely to look at, great to drive, and surprisingly economical for a car that size on a run.

The boot isn’t massive - it’s exactly the same dimensions as my previous car, a Passat estate - but more than big enough for my golf gear.

AdamW

Visit site
I have a Mazda MX5. I can get my clubs in the boot and the trolley in the front seat. That leaves no room for the wife and her clubs. Fortunately, we have a Škoda Octavia as well and we can fit everything and everyone and more luggage in there.

Do the clubs fit with a bag? I have always wanted a MX5 but did not think the clubs , bag and trolley would fit.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Lots of recommendations for Skoda Octavia and Superb. I'll just point out that even the Fabia Estate is a good golf lugger. No issues dropping in a trolley and cart bag without removing driver. You can fit in 2 trolleys and 2 cart bags if you remove the trolley wheels and take the driver out of the second bag. It's a very small car (based on the Polo floorpan) with a pretty big boot.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
It will definitely fall into the too big category but my VW Touareg R Line is absolutely beautiful. Lovely to look at, great to drive, and surprisingly economical for a car that size on a run.

The boot isn’t massive - it’s exactly the same dimensions as my previous car, a Passat estate - but more than big enough for my golf gear.

Had exactly the same car for 3 years, great cars to drive.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Minor thread hijack.
What’s your views on estate vs SUV?
My car is up for renewal in November and I’m not sure which way to go but I do know I need a bigger boot than my current Mazda CX 30.
Current favourites are VW Golf estate, Seat Leon estate and maybe a VW Tiguan or similar.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I detest large suv and don't see the point of the small ones.

Would go for the Golf, Seat or even better a Skoda Octavia before the Tiguan.

evemccc

Visit site
Minor thread hijack.
My car is up for renewal in November and I’m not sure which way to go but I do know I need a bigger boot than my current Mazda CX 30.
Current favourites are VW Golf estate, Seat Leon estate and maybe a VW Tiguan or similar.

Skodas famously have large boot space…Octavia I’ve heard is v functional

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Some of the SuV I've looked at have had small boots compared to the size of the car. Currently have a passant estate, I've had 4 bags and my electric trolley in there no issues.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Minor thread hijack.

I love an estate. Always prefer them to the saloon equivalent.

I’ve been thinking about changing my 535 touring, but am really struggling with what I would swap it for.

Get a Seat or Octavia over the golf and save yourself some cash.

I’m failing to see why someone would sink £000s in depreciation just to save 10 seconds of hassle putting the seats down. Especially if no one else uses the car and it’s otherwise fine. Put them down and leave them.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Yeah but as I said to Lord Tyrion at the weekend, isn’t an Octavia a taxi drivers car? 🤣
That's why I got my passage, when I got it, they were the favourite of Inverness Taxi drivers, most of them old. They were proved right, cheap to run( parts and service) decent economy (before the cost of Diesel went through the roof) reliable, comfortable drive and bags of room.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Minor thread hijack.

Mrs D and myself prefer the higher driving position of the SUV

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
SUVs are the devil's work.

When my Fabia estate was at the repair shop (after being rear-ended) I was loaned a Vauxhall Grandland.
It was enormous but I still couldn't get the golf clubs in without removing the driver.
It was also shocking to drive, wallowing about like an elephant seal.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
I love an estate. Always prefer them to the saloon equivalent.

I’ve been thinking about changing my 535 touring, but am really struggling with what I would swap it for.

Get a Seat or Octavia over the golf and save yourself some cash.

I’m failing to see why someone would sink £000s in depreciation just to save 10 seconds of hassle putting the seats down. Especially if no one else uses the car and it’s otherwise fine. Put them down and leave them.

It would be a company car on lease so I’m more interested in my P11D code to be honest. Frustratingly the hybrid vehicles are just out of reach for my budget.