Recommend a Course along M62 Corridor/ North West ?

Macster

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi
4 of us are heading over to Hillside GC next week, and are looking for somewhere to play on Thurs 9th as we drive across.

We're in East Yorks, so anywhere along M62 Corridor or up towards Hillside etc, but I imagine anywhere close will be busy perhaps.....but can anyone recommend a Course that we might enjoy ?
Handicaps from 9 - 27, so nothing too testing !

Any thoughts appreciated.
Thx

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I asked that question a long time ago and was recommended Ormskirk.. Many of the party obejcted as they'd never heard of it! But after we played everyone raved about it.... mind you, that was over ten years ago, so not recent knowledge.

But was a super heathland layout with great greens!

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
What do you want - VFM, top course, budget course. Links, heathland, parkland. Top 100/200, just good etc.

We have every delight.......Manchester golf course is only about 1-2 miles off the M62, good VFM and a cracking course.

Macster

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thx fellas, Manch GC would be ideal as its so close to our drive over to Hillside, but PM tee times are £220 for a 4ball, is that VFM ?
We're not penny pinching at all, but no idea if its worth £55 each to play ? (There are £160/4 tee times, but too early to get there for.....)

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Sure you have a County card and see below:

https://www.bbogolf.com/lancashire

Manchester is included.

Others I would consider:
Ormskirk- used to be Open Qualifying
Grange Park St Helens
Childwall tel Number is 0151 NOT 0161.

Hesketh which is a good track in Southport which means you could leave your gear at The Hotel.

All the above offer County Card although as LB said what do you want? The ones quoted are at the top end of the price list.

Odvan

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thx fellas, Manch GC would be ideal as its so close to our drive over to Hillside, but PM tee times are £220 for a 4ball, is that VFM ?
We're not penny pinching at all, but no idea if its worth £55 each to play ? (There are £160/4 tee times, but too early to get there for.....)

Not in my humble opinion.

Macster

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sure you have a County card and see below:

https://www.bbogolf.com/lancashire

Manchester is included.

Others I would consider:
Ormskirk- used to be Open Qualifying
Grange Park St Helens
Childwall tel Number is 0151 NOT 0161.

Hesketh which is a good track in Southport which means you could leave your gear at The Hotel.

All the above offer County Card although as LB said what do you want? The ones quoted are at the top end of the price list.

Thx, - would we all need a County Card ? Or just who books the Tee Time ?
Doesnt seem to show what savings it offers?

Not looking to play 'on the cheap' as such, just a nice course without breaking the Bank etc, ie I think up to £50.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Thx, - would we all need a County Card ? Or just who books the Tee Time ?
Doesnt seem to show what savings it offers?

Not looking to play 'on the cheap' as such, just a nice course without breaking the Bank etc, ie I think up to £50.
It depends on the Club.

All I can suggest is you phone The Club as on Thursday afternoon if not busy business sense states they should want your business. Would not expect the courses nearby to be busy on Thursday as members of local clubs will be at Hillside.