Recommandations for Scotland

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
That's a bit unfair on GG I think, although being biased I think Dundonald is a better track that GG.

Some great golf holes on GG, I don't agree with all the heather and tree stripping but its made it more playable that's for sure. I like GG and think its a good test of golf. Great clubhouse and food too.

Definitely agree about the clubhouse.

And maybe I would benefit from another go at it, but like I said - it didn't leave me wanting to ask for a membership form. Definitely some good holes though. The short par 4 (9th) with the raised green and OB down the left is one that sticks in my mind.

But some pretty tough holes for a handicap golfer to try and navigate.

I still think if I was playing one links course in central Scotland, this would be a way down the list.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
That's a bit unfair on GG I think, although being biased I think Dundonald is a better track that GG.

Some great golf holes on GG, I don't agree with all the heather and tree stripping but its made it more playable that's for sure. I like GG and think its a good test of golf. Great clubhouse and food too.

You and I both agreed (which is unusual) Dundonald a far more playable course but GG probably a better test of your game

D

Deleted member 3432

Good afternoon folks. I am back after a very long layoff. Work has been crazy busy and golf has taken a back seat. :(

However, A mate & I are heading up the the Old Firm game next weekend.
Our plan is leave Cambs around 6am and play a round of golf in the afternoon. We would like to play links. I have been looking at Robert the Bruce @ Turnberry, Dundonald and Gailes Links on the west coast and Gullane (2) and Craigielaw on the east coast.

I would love to hear from any of you guys with some more courses.
Don't want to go further north than Glasgow. Happy with both coasts. £120 a round maximum.

Break the journey up with a stop at Silloth. Yes I know its south of the border, but not by much.

Biased obviously as a member but its a tremendous track and it will only set you back £55. Recent wet weather has taken the sting out of the course which is not a bad thing as it makes it a little easier if you are not used to regular links golf, but always a challange with the breeze coming off the Solway.

Unfortunately I am on 12 hour nights this weekend otherwise I would offer to sign you on.

A little taster......
https://www.top100golfcourses.com/golf-course/silloth-on-solway

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
You and I both agreed (which is unusual) Dundonald a far more playable course but GG probably a better test of your game

Not sure I'd agree now that all the Heather and gorse has been stripped away at GG. Horses for courses, not much between them.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Before you decide, I'd double check the green fees - i think some are more than your limit.

And if you think that Gullane #2 would fit your itinerary, then you could/should consider North Berwick?

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Yeh I tend to agree and I'd rather play Dunbar than Gullane 2!

It's certainly more 'linksy' in the sense that it's out and back and along the coast. I played both on a trip, and loved them, but as a southerner who had never been to Scotland, Dunbar was more what I expected links to look like. North Berwick is like that too, and better than both, but twice as expensive! In the same area, what about kilspindie (sp)?

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
It's certainly more 'linksy' in the sense that it's out and back and along the coast. I played both on a trip, and loved them, but as a southerner who had never been to Scotland, Dunbar was more what I expected links to look like. North Berwick is like that too, and better than both, but twice as expensive! In the same area, what about kilspindie (sp)?

Wouldn't disagree with any of what you have posted.

Kilspindie is nice but it really is short. I prefer Dunbar by a long way to Kilspindie.

gripitripit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Cheers for all the input guys. Looking at available tee times it looks like the only one that is a goer is Dundonald. 1330 tee time should (hopefully) see us finish 6pm latest. Into the city for 7pm. Hit the town for 9pm.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Have a great time. We did our first Scottish links trip a few years ago and have been back every year since. It really is the best golf there is. Which is a bit of a shame as I live several hundred miles away....

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I have looked at route and indeed a good 6hrs.to Ayr. We play to leave at 6am and tee off around 1330/1400.
Silloth does mate sense as not as much of a detour but we wanted to sample links golf in Scotland.

Even although I only managed 5 holes of Southerness couple of weeks back (weather just too awful) it looks a cracking links track. Didn't take long getting to it from Gretna. I will return.