Ready to quit the game

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Must be something about 8 handicap. Had them for 6/7 months a couple of years ago, and almost gave the game up. My iron striking has never been the same since, as lost all confidence with it.

I think in one of my lessons, the pro had me hitting shots off an upslope, which helped. Perseverance eventually paid off though. Iron striking still not amazing...but I don't live with quite so much fear these days (that's cursed it...)

Me too - when I was off 8. With me I was arrogant about my swing - I knew that my swing had got me to 6 so I should be able to sort it myself and get it back into the groove. But I wasn't in a groove all those years - I'd perfected tight-rope walking - and once off couldn't get back on - because I had 'engrained' a fundamental fault.

Even when off 6 if I went down to the practice ground I'd hit shots OK until I tried something a bit different - because I thought I was a good enough golfer and therefore had a good enough swing - to try things. But I couldn't because my faulty swing couldn't cope with it and I just hit 'them' and had to stop immediately.

And when off 8 I completely 'fell of the tight-rope' and couldn't get back on without immediately falling off - when I had slipped to 13 h/cap I had to reach an acceptance that I couldn't fix it - that my swing was basically bust and I had to start again. And so I went to my pro.

Only a couple of lessons to get going as the basic swing sense and timing is there. But when playing and practicing I must focus every shot in doing what I have been told. If I do not, then my arrogant golf brain that tells me I can play to 6 kicks in and I instantly go back to my old swing. And hey presto - they come back instantly with a big BANG.

But today I can STOP doing them straight away as I immediately focus hard on what I was taught. And I can do that because I now know WHY I did them - and so the FEAR that swamped my mind and blocked out all logical and clear thought having hit one is no longer there with me - and with a clear mind I can do what I was taught.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks Bob, but where do I even start to find out what the real problem is?
I’ve tried everything. Lessons have stopped me in the past and my swing thoughts have helped with it at the time but it’s came back.
I’ve listened to and read so many books, psychology and swing wise.
I’ve watched so many videos and read many articles on my causes but nothing. Probably detrimental in the end as I’ve tried so many different things.

Any advice on how I find out the real problem?

Simple to sort. Go to the range with a pitching wedge and nine iron. Chuck a load of balls down and just whack 'em. No set up, no thoughts no nowt. Casual, loose swing, whack till they've all gone. Go home. next time on course swing like on range.

You're welcome.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Simple to sort. Go to the range with a pitching wedge and nine iron. Chuck a load of balls down and just whack 'em. No set up, no thoughts no nowt. Casual, loose swing, whack till they've all gone. Go home. next time on course swing like on range.

You're welcome.

I did something similar when I got a doze about 25yrs ago.

After failing to sort it for quite a few rounds, I took my 5i in my hand, a ball and a tee. I literally ran onto the 1st tee, and as fast as I could I tee'd up, stood back - no thoughts on stance or swing and hit it - without thinking. And it flew away OK and that started me on my recovery.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks Bob, but where do I even start to find out what the real problem is?
I’ve tried everything. Lessons have stopped me in the past and my swing thoughts have helped with it at the time but it’s came back.
I’ve listened to and read so many books, psychology and swing wise.
I’ve watched so many videos and read many articles on my causes but nothing. Probably detrimental in the end as I’ve tried so many different things.

Any advice on how I find out the real problem?

Possibly an uneducated, high handicapper comment from me but maybe you've looked, read, sought advice too much and have answers and thoughts that you possibly don't need. I know it'll be hard to do but can you just play or practice for fun? Forget your handicap or your ability and go out and hit a few balls see if you can get your groove back?

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Seems to be 2 constants in this equation. You and your pro.

You can't change you so try another pro. Sometimes it's just good to get a second opinion, some new thoughts and ideas.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
At my lowest I could hit thee most pure shank. :swing:

[video=youtube;3KnUoqqr7kg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KnUoqqr7kg[/video]

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
I could have started my own thread, but the opening post is quite similar to my own situation... I play off 10, but have slowly been coming down for years. I can remember when my goal was to break 100, then it was to break 90, then it was get a 14 handicap, then breaking 80, then for the last few years it has been single figures...

This year, I've hit a brick wall. My handicap hasn't gone up, but it's like I have just plateaued hugely. I have kept telling myself 'keep going, it will work out in the end', but over the last couple of weeks my game has just fallen apart completely. My putting has saved me in terms of scoring, but I basically have zero idea when I stand over the ball where it is going to go. Duffs, thins, the odd shank. Even when I hit the ball on the face, I can feel it is close to the hosel, or low on the face, or both.

Mainly though, it just isn't fun. I don't enjoy it much at all. On the days I play well, it feels a bit like a productive day at work - like I'm working towards getting something done. On the days I play poorly, I want to be anywhere but a golf course.

The members at my club are mostly decent, with the odd sprinkling of douchebags like everywhere, but other than my doubles partner I wouldn't say I have friends there that I'm really close to. Outside of the club, there is one mate in particular that I love playing with, but he has basically disappeared with his work and family life in the last couple of years.

I've got a few doubles comps and matches in September that I will play, but after that I am pretty set on just giving it all up. I never ever thought I would say that at the start of this year but if you don't enjoy it, what's the point?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I could have started my own thread, but the opening post is quite similar to my own situation... I play off 10, but have slowly been coming down for years. I can remember when my goal was to break 100, then it was to break 90, then it was get a 14 handicap, then breaking 80, then for the last few years it has been single figures...

This year, I've hit a brick wall. My handicap hasn't gone up, but it's like I have just plateaued hugely. I have kept telling myself 'keep going, it will work out in the end', but over the last couple of weeks my game has just fallen apart completely. My putting has saved me in terms of scoring, but I basically have zero idea when I stand over the ball where it is going to go. Duffs, thins, the odd shank. Even when I hit the ball on the face, I can feel it is close to the hosel, or low on the face, or both.

Mainly though, it just isn't fun. I don't enjoy it much at all. On the days I play well, it feels a bit like a productive day at work - like I'm working towards getting something done. On the days I play poorly, I want to be anywhere but a golf course.

The members at my club are mostly decent, with the odd sprinkling of douchebags like everywhere, but other than my doubles partner I wouldn't say I have friends there that I'm really close to. Outside of the club, there is one mate in particular that I love playing with, but he has basically disappeared with his work and family life in the last couple of years.

I've got a few doubles comps and matches in September that I will play, but after that I am pretty set on just giving it all up. I never ever thought I would say that at the start of this year but if you don't enjoy it, what's the point?

i used to work with a guy who got down to 9 within a couple of years but couldn't get lower no matter what, for him it was all about the buzz of beating his best to get lower, when he couldnt do that he just gave up

huds1475

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I basically have zero idea when I stand over the ball where it is going to go.
Have the same problem at the minute, and since returning to play regularly in May. It really is no fun week in week out. In fact its pretty embarrassing.

I'm not one who takes my golf too seriously any more. I'd like to lower my handicap, but the main reason I play is to enjoy the challenge presented by the course and spend time with friends. I'd have the same challenge with an open field right now ?

Its got to the point where I feel time playing golf could be better spent.

I've made the decision to stop playing comps for the next 3 or 4 weeks, booked a lesson a week and will use the playing time to practice.

I feel better for making the decision, like a weight has been lifted.

Hopefully I'll see some improvement after the month and get stuck in again.

If not, at least I'll have given it a go and can recoup some cash on ebay!

Mandofred

Visit site
I'm always going back and forth about quitting. It's the struggle that keeps me going.....I like the personal internal fight. Although I do not enjoy things as much without the roll-ups. If they don't get going by spring that might be enough to kill me off. Almost the worst thing you can say to me when I'm having an off day....."Hey, but it sure is a nice day isn't it"?. Arrrgggg.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Have a break. You play for fun and if it stops being fun then find something else to do. The joy of golf is that physically you are likely to be able to come back to it at a later time if you want to scratch the itch again.

Many years ago I played cricket very intensely. I was good, then I became not so good and then I became a bit like you described your golf right now. I was playing out of routine, not for pleasure. I stopped and like Huds mentioned, a weight was lifted off me. I played the odd game a few years later but realised I didn't enjoy it enough to go back again.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I had a sales boss who related his views quite well
He said it is like :poop: floating in water.

Every one finds their own level we cant all rise to the top.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Take a break then come back.
I played on Sunday for the first time in 3 weeks as I was struggling badly, I’m my own worse enemy though, I’m really self conscious and worry what other people think, the reality is they couldn’t care less.
Anyway, on Sunday I had no expectations and played really well, driving not great but everything else the best it has been in a long time, looking forward to getting back out now to hopefully continue where I left off.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
Some comments on here really resonate at the moment. The earliest I'll next be playing is 1st September, though I think I might go to the range just before that. Not much of a break, but better than nothing.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I am mid break at the moment. Not played since March and had decided to take some time off before Covid hit. Think I am going to take the rest of the year off and see what the clubs are charging next year as I can see a few price hikes that I could not justify.

Reason I quit, just not fun playing. Atmosphere at my old club was not right for me, atmosphere at the local resort course was right but getting a tee time was getting harder. Golf is all about the fun of who I play with and the atmosphere and nowhere near me quite fits the bill. May look at some of the clubs near Melton as I work there now so could play after work and it is only half an hour on a Saturday morning but I am not committing to anywhere until I have found somewhere that I am happy with.

Lockdown also made me realise that golfing was a but selfish. My wife and I both work fairly long hours (wife even work away quite a bit) and so we only really spend time together at weekends. To take away 5 plus hours of that time to play golf did not seem a fair thing to do.

BigEasyERGC

Visit site
I had 3 at the weekend in the same round. Lol

If anyone knows my course, all shanked off the tee at 4, 9 and 13.

Immediately 3 off the tee for each.

I could cry!

Ndw7

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I seriously think I am ready to stop playing. I am getting no enjoyment from the game due to my constant shanking. I get them so regularly and it seems I have them more than I don't.
The rest of the time I am playing off a handicap of 8 and keep getting told I will come down further.

It's not the odd bout of them, it's been on and off for 5 years and for at least 3 months at a time when they're in. It's at a stage now where I just can't take anymore as they dominate me when I'm stood over the ball.

Unless you've gone through it I don't think you can understand how annoying it is. I'm absolutely gutted and surprised that golf can make you feel like this.

I've had lessons that seem to give it a temporary fix and I do actually put a lot of time into my practice and am a model student. I just now don't think I'm good enough not to hit them regularly.

Couple of years ago I was playing really well and was due to go and play St Pierre as a guest at a friend of mines captains day away trip (who is a member of another course) I decided to get a lesson at a club near where I work before just to keep on top of things. Warning up beforehand was striking the ball lovely. The lesson wasn’t great, and at the end, I reckon I shanked literally 20 balls in a row. I could not get the ball off the floor! And the pro goes “well I know this isn’t ideal, but it’s a journey and you just have to be comfortable with where we’re trying to get you”
I was like “I got 2 rounds at st Pierre from tomorrow! You can’t let me leave like this ?”
So I text my Mrs and said I would be home late, went to the clubs nets filmed a few swings then just YouTubed and googled everything ? One piece of advice that worked for my out to in swing path. Was to set up with the ball out of the heel of the club. So that you HAVE to re route from the inside or you’ll definitely shank it! So I ended up flushing every shot until I left. I ended up winning the 2 ball betterball comp on the first day with it being the best I’ve played in ages, and best of all, no shanks!
Sorry I know this is long winded and doesn’t really give you an answer, but hopefully it shows you that you don’t need to give up, just keep working and find something that works for you!