Reached my Target!!

daveyc2k2

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Around the time of the PYB being announced I decided my target for 2012 would be to break 90 in competition and to get my handicap down to 18 from the 21 it started on. It didn't start well and in the first 2 qualifying comps went back up to 22, however over the last 2 weekends I have hit both targets.

2 weekends ago, in the 2nd 18 holes of the day in our club championships I scored a gross 89 which got me a cut to 19.8, then this weekend in our stableford i scored 41 points with a blob and was cut 2.2 shots down to 17.6. As happy as I was I questioned the cut as thought it was a bit punchy, but according to our handicap sec the HDID recommended an extra cut for me as not many people got close to be cut that day (only 1 other in fact).

So thankfully, my targets have both been reached, 16 is now my aim for the foreseeable future.

Fader

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well done, always good to hit the targets before the end of the year. As for mine its a case of head scratchingly back to the drawing board.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Well done - you can relax and enjoy the comps to come and who knows what you might end the year on. Last year I got really hooked on the number (target was 15 handicap by the end of the year) and whilst I reached it I felt I added too much pressure. This year my target was to get to 12 and I've done that but with less intent on the number rather than knowing I'm improving and that it will come if I'm patient. My main goal has been to enjoy the game and enjoy playing in medal competitions rather than stressing about them - so far so good :)

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Well done davey congrats , best of luck with the new target ..

I did the same, setting myself the target to get to & play to 8 & have a look at 7 , half way there , twice been in touching distance but failed , ah well , theres always next sunday i guess ha ..

swanny32

Journeyman Pro
Tiptree, Essex - Where they make the Jam!
www.utilitywarehouse.org.uk
Unfortunately, due to a bit of a putting meltdown on the back 9 on Sunday whilst playing the stableford competition with Davey, I didn't reach my target for the year which I probably would have reached had I continued playing the way I was on the front 9. Course was there for the taking and a cut was definitely in reach with an outward 21 points...the back 9 I have consigned to the "rather forget" folder within my memory.

Well done though Dave, that now means you have a lower handicap than me!

AuburnWarrior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well played fella! It's always good to reach a personal goal!

Alas, I'm a long way from my season goals - to score a level par round and get my handicap down to 6.

Oh well, always next year..... :mad:

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Around the time of the PYB being announced I decided my target for 2012 would be to break 90 in competition and to get my handicap down to 18 from the 21 it started on. It didn't start well and in the first 2 qualifying comps went back up to 22, however over the last 2 weekends I have hit both targets.

2 weekends ago, in the 2nd 18 holes of the day in our club championships I scored a gross 89 which got me a cut to 19.8, then this weekend in our stableford i scored 41 points with a blob and was cut 2.2 shots down to 17.6. As happy as I was I questioned the cut as thought it was a bit punchy, but according to our handicap sec the HDID recommended an extra cut for me as not many people got close to be cut that day (only 1 other in fact).

So thankfully, my targets have both been reached, 16 is now my aim for the foreseeable future.

Well played and congratulations on reaching your target. Your Handicap Sec was, I think, telling a little porky. I looked at your results on HDID. Your reduction from 20.4 to 19.8 for your nett 69 must have had a stableford adjustment of 2 as CSS was 69 – fair enough, nett differential -2 equals 0.6 reduction. Your 41points was nett differential of -4 as CSS was 70 against par 71. That means a reduction of 1.2 to 18.6. The other 1 shot reduction could only have been an arbitrary reduction by your Handicap Sec – unless you had recently, in the last few comps, another nett differential of -4 which you haven’t mentioned. As everyone knows, I am a cynic, and I suspect your Handicap Sec wanted to give you another cut and pushed the blame onto HDID. Say nothing and enjoy the chop –looks you are being watched.

swanny32

Journeyman Pro
Tiptree, Essex - Where they make the Jam!
www.utilitywarehouse.org.uk
Well played and congratulations on reaching your target. Your Handicap Sec was, I think, telling a little porky. I looked at your results on HDID. Your reduction from 20.4 to 19.8 for your nett 69 must have had a stableford adjustment of 2 as CSS was 69 – fair enough, nett differential -2 equals 0.6 reduction. Your 41points was nett differential of -4 as CSS was 70 against par 71. That means a reduction of 1.2 to 18.6. The other 1 shot reduction could only have been an arbitrary reduction by your Handicap Sec – unless you had recently, in the last few comps, another nett differential of -4 which you haven’t mentioned. As everyone knows, I am a cynic, and I suspect your Handicap Sec wanted to give you another cut and pushed the blame onto HDID. Say nothing and enjoy the chop –looks you are being watched.

I doubt he's being watched, this is the first decent round he's put in for months! ;)

daveyc2k2

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I doubt he's being watched, this is the first decent round he's put in for months! ;)

He's not lying here. Been playing rubbish. Maybe the hcap sec did it as only myself and 1 other played well enough to get cut. Don't mind tho. Happy to be down there and think I can play to it if I just relax a bit more on the course.

Gazboy

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Well done Davey. I'm still trying to break 100 and cut my H/C to 27 for the second year running so always happy to see someone achieving their targets :)

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
If someone thinks I played well enough to warrant a further cut I take it!

If you look at it right its only a positive thing and should spur you on to practice more and go out to beat it.

In golf competitions winning is not easy, you cannot control what others do. All you can ever do is post your best possible score whatever your handicap. Even if you go out and shoot 10 under your handicap there is nothing to stop a group of people all shooting better!