Re take putt for penalty stroke

Blocker

Medal Winner
Visit site
A member of my fourball who shall remain nameless had a slick 6 foot down hill putt on a plateu green and hit it to hard over the side of the green and about 30 yards down the hill. Faced with a horrid pitch back up the hill
could he have declared the ball unplayable and taking a 1 shot penalty replayed his shot from 6 foot ?

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
As you will see from that thread, you don't need to declare the ball unplayable, you just play from where you played your last stroke under a penalty stroke - Rule 27-1a. You can substitute another ball.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Perfectly legal and quite a sensible decision too. Nothing to say he won't repeat the previous shot, though.

indeed, I would be happy for all my opponents to 'cheat' like this all the way round!

I might understand it if the ball had gone in a water hazard or unplayable position - but then again proceeding under the basic option for both those situations would have him back on the green anyway so it's all very logical.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
indeed, I would be happy for all my opponents to 'cheat' like this all the way round!I might understand it if the ball had gone in a water hazard or unplayable position - but then again proceeding under the basic option for both those situations would have him back on the green anyway so it's all very logical.
Why do people throw the word cheat around? To say someone is cheating in this position is not really an accurate description. Yes it is bending the rules and taking the p@@@. But no rule has been broken has it? To me the word cheat in golfing terms means someone who deliberately breaks the rules to gain an advantage. Not someone who uses the rules to his advantage.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
How?In what way?Just part of the game. I wouldn't think twice about an opponent doing it.
I do not see a problem with people doing it as it is not against the rules. But taking an unplayable when the ball is clearly playable, just because you do not like the shot that is front of you. That to me is using the rules to your own advantage. But like I said they are not breaking any rules, so I would not have a problem wioth someone doing. it is just another grey area of the rule book that can be manipulated to your advantage.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I do not see a problem with people doing it as it is not against the rules. But taking an unplayable when the ball is clearly playable, just because you do not like the shot that is front of you. That to me is using the rules to your own advantage. But like I said they are not breaking any rules, so I would not have a problem wioth someone doing. it is just another grey area of the rule book that can be manipulated to your advantage.

It is not a grey area at all, and there is no manipulation. In fact it couldn't be more black and white or straightforward. You and only you can declare your ball unplayable at any time. End of.

There is no definition of playable, but if there were it is not simply 'can get a club on the ball'.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
OK, we clearly have a slightlydifferent perspective on this but come to the same conclusion. I see nothing wrong in using rules to your advantage: rules like this one are there to help you out of trouble - at the cost of a stroke. I don't see it as a grey area for manipulation -seems pretty straightforward. But I guess I have a rather simple perspective on the rules: if you are allowed to do something, do it; if not, take the penalty; and whatever you do within this is ethically sound.

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
For those who still don't get it......

"The player may deem his ball unplayable at any place on the course, except when the ball is in a water hazard. The player is the sole judge as to whether his ball is unplayable."

This is not cheating, not bending the rules. It is an option available to all golfers to use, under penalty remember, at any time.

The Rules basically define how the game should be played and what is/is not allowed. The do not exist solely to penalise a player.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
It is not a grey area at all, and there is no manipulation. In fact it couldn't be more black and white or straightforward. You and only you can declare your ball unplayable at any time. End of.There is no definition of playable, but if there were it is not simply 'can get a club on the ball'.
I agree 100% that you can declare a ball unplayable at any time, it is up to the player wether he is declaring it unplayable or not. But a good example on my course where this could benefit you is the 8th. If the pin is cut at the front of the green and you get aggresive with a 6 foot putt you can very easily knock it off the front down the slope to the fairway, with not much chance of getting up and down as you are now 10 foot below the green. So take the unplayable even though the ball is more than playable and hope to make the putt second time round. Even though the would cost you a shot you will still be down in 2 if you make the putt, instead of the other option that means you are more than likely to get up and down in 3. Within the rules most definately, using a rule that is there to your own advantage? Yes it is.....isn't it? The rules of golf will always bring up great discussion as there are many grey areas, also rules that can be used to your own advantage. It is impossible to describe and create a rule for every eventuality on the golf course, so to counteract this they need to have generalised rules like declaring a ball unplayable. Let me make one thing clear though.........I do not and would not have a problem with anyone doing what is being described in this thread. It is within the rules and if you can use it to your benefit, then that is the "rub of the green"

markyjee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Would never have thought of doing this, think its a clever use of rules and good course management which isn't the strongest point of most amateurs.

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
You don't have to declare unplayable though. Rule 27-1 declares you can play any shot again, under stroke and distance penalty. So no need to get caught up with trying to justify "unplayable"

27-1. Stroke And Distance; Ball Out Of Bounds; Ball Not Found Within Five Minutes
a. Proceeding Under Stroke and Distance
At any time, a player may, under penalty of one stroke, play a ball as nearly as possible at the spot from which the original ball was last played (see Rule 20-5), i.e., proceed under penalty of stroke and distance.

Except as otherwise provided in the Rules, if a player makes a stroke at a ball from the spot at which the original ball was last played, he is deemed to have proceeded under penalty of stroke and distance.