Bunker - unplayable lie

Swango1980

Visit site
…and of course it’s irrelevant whether or not her ball was playable or unplayable for her to choose to take S&D…simply her judgement on whether or not she fancied the shot she was facing.

My example of putting off the green could find my ball sitting beautifully in the middle of an immaculately mown fairway - but I might still not fancy the shot I was facing - and so I take S&D and put my ball back from whence I had putted it…? Still costs me two shots to do that though - so not a ‘cheap’ option.
Indeed. Plenty of times I've elected to play 3 off the tee and not even bother looking for first. Even though my first may actually end up being both findable and playable.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
But, that is not going to happen between her hitting it in the bunker and having to play out of it, I know and it is against the rules for her to seek such advice even if it were possible I know that too. So, based on her perceived skill set during that round, she did the right thing. It is up to her to decide what she thinks is playable. How can she decide that from 150 yards away It is certainly not within the spirit of the game for others to dictate to her what is playable and not playable. No-one said it was

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Giving up and playing another ball is not an intelligent use of the rules when she had no idea what shot she had out of the bunker.
She would be better off learning a basic bunker shot technique which isn't difficult which would save her shots. Adding shots without looking first is still nuts

Alternatively, having made a mistake, stroke and distance was an intelligent use of the rules given her knowledge of her own limitations. She might be better off learning a basic technique just as I would be better off learning to play like Dustin Johnson (many millions better off :) ). Some things are beyond each of us, and it's no bad thing to know what they are and adjust accordingly.

By the way, she didn't have to decide whether her ball was unplayable. She had the right as is always the case to play again from where she played her last shot for no other reason that that is what she wanted to do.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Some things are beyond each of us, and it's no bad thing to know what they are and adjust accordingly.

Really, I had no idea.:confused:

But I have the advantage of knowing the lady and know with a bit of knowledge and effort she could learn the skill.
Maybe she had a bad experience in bunkers in the past or she just cant be bothered learning.
The point is she's not going to avoid bunkers forever and I just think its daft not to even try.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Really, I had no idea.:confused:

But I have the advantage of knowing the lady and know with a bit of knowledge and effort she could learn the skill.
Maybe she had a bad experience in bunkers in the past or she just cant be bothered learning.
The point is she's not going to avoid bunkers forever and I just think its daft not to even try.
Bob. You could be describing me. Got any online advice on getting out of the blasted things in less that 4 shots?? ?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Bob. You could be describing me. Got any online advice on getting out of the blasted things in less that 4 shots?? ?

Easy.
Imagine a box under the ball, six inches long 3 inches wide and 3 inches deep.
The ball is in the middle of the top of the box.
Address the ball so its 3-4 inches forward in your stance.
Then with a full firm swing, remove all the sand in the box finishing with a full follow through.
Alter the club used to suit the situation.
£30 please ;)

Last edited:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It just feels totally wrong to me.
I saw a lady once hit her ball into a bunker and she immediately claimed it unplayable, changed clubs and laid up short of the bunker with her second ball.
Nuts.
Shows a bit of poor reasoning, I would have clubbed up and gone past the bunker:ROFLMAO:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It just feels totally wrong to me.
I saw a lady once hit her ball into a bunker and she immediately claimed it unplayable, changed clubs and laid up short of the bunker with her second ball.
Nuts.

I have played in many mixed events (drawn partners) where the lady plays the next shot, one of the things I have learnt is that the average lady player does not like playing from bunkers:LOL:.

I regularly play with one guy despite having lessons on bunker play is absolutely rubbish at getting out of bunkers. I have told him many a time what is wrong with his technique yet he still persists with it (the same fault appears throughout his whole game - no or very short follow through, with a very quick head up).

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have played in many mixed events (drawn partners) where the lady plays the next shot, one of the things I have learnt is that the average lady player does not like playing from bunkers:LOL:.

I regularly play with one guy despite having lessons on bunker play is absolutely rubbish at getting out of bunkers. I have told him many a time what is wrong with his technique yet he still persists with it (the same fault appears throughout his whole game - no or very short follow through, with a very quick head up).
Is that the stab and hope technique?

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Easy.
Imagine a box under the ball, six inches long 3 inches wide and 3 inches deep.
The ball is in the middle of the top of the box.
Address the ball so its 3-4 inches forward in your stance.
Then with a full firm swing, remove all the sand in the box finishing with a full follow through.
Alter the club used to suit the situation.
£30 please ;)
Been out all day - golf, then supper, then drinks, then (nearly) bedtime

Will give your advice due consideration tomorrow. Cheque is in the post ...