Re joining a club after 3 years - what happens to my handicap?

jammag

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Hello

Recently me and a friend have decided to become members at a golf course again after having 2-3 years of not playing. When we played before we played off a 9 and 12 handicap.

When we joined our new club they said we would have to get a new handicap and put in 3 cards for this to be judged. No problem with that what so ever, however the new course we are playing is quite tight and after a few years of only playing once or twice a year we are struggling to knock it round in the equivalent of an 18 handicapper.

We are in an awkward position where we know we can play a lot better than this but also know we will improve once we start playing weekly again. We are worried that we may be given high handicaps and then get a reputation of being a bit of a bandit once we become more consistent.

My question is more to do with those who help with handicaps at there clubs and want to know would our previous handicap be taken into account when giving us a new handicap or is it purely based on the cards we give in? If it is the latter then we may wait to do our handicap cards until we are more consistent again.

Thanks
Jamie

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Make sure they know your history, put your 3 cards in and see what you get. Then get out and play some golf. The handicaps just a number (despite what you'll read on here ;) )