Re-gripping Clubs

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Had a spare half hour before a knock yesterday so popped into AG on my way to Otley GC. Was having a browse determinded not buy anything and noticed the grips so decided to get my SW and Taylormade fairway regripped. Think it could be the best £12 I've spent on golf gear so far.

Been having trouble hitting my fairway recently and have this Taylormade (which I bought frm Hobbit from on here) 4 fairway which is 4 or 5 years old now and a brand new MD Hybrid which I've been struggling with so swapped them round, got the TM regripped and used it yesterday. WOW instantly noticed a difference and was maybe hitting it maybe 10/15 yards longer than I was doing and I think its as simple as it gripping and feeling much better. Same with the SW, hit it cleaner and better than previous rounds.

Anyone else regripped there clubs rather than change them? Think I'm going to regrip all my irons and my G10 fairway too.

Great service again from AG, no pressure on which grip to buy and the clubs were regripped in about 5 minutes.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I regrip about once every 12-15 months. I tend to get my grips from Gamola and the assistant pro sticks them on for a small charge because basically I'm too lazy to do it myself. It is amazing how much difference it makes. Once you've changed grips though it is important to look after them by giving them a scrub with a nail brush and some lukewarm water and fairy liquid and dry them properly after. I clean every 3-4 weeks

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I tend to re-grip my own clubs as

a) It's cheaper than paying someone to do it

and

b) Using Gamola, I have a better choice of grips.

I'm actually thinking of doing all my clubs over the coming weeks. When I got fit for my irons and wedges, I decided to go for stock Mizuno M21 and M31 grips.

They are pants. After about 3 months they have, well , disintergrated.

I'm looking to try the Winn Pro Wrap grips from Gamola this time around.

http://www.gamolagolf.co.uk/acatalog/Winn-Pro-Wrap-Golf-Grip.html

Did they ask if you required any extra layers of tape or not when they re-gripped for you?

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I tend to re-grip my own clubs as

a) It's cheaper than paying someone to do it

and

b) Using Gamola, I have a better choice of grips.

I'm actually thinking of doing all my clubs over the coming weeks. When I got fit for my irons and wedges, I decided to go for stock Mizuno M21 and M31 grips.

They are pants. After about 3 months they have, well , disintergrated.

I'm looking to try the Winn Pro Wrap grips from Gamola this time around.

http://www.gamolagolf.co.uk/acatalog/Winn-Pro-Wrap-Golf-Grip.html

Did they ask if you required any extra layers of tape or not when they re-gripped for you?

No they didn't they just offered the regripping, wasn't aware of extra tape etc.

Didn't realise how bad my grips were until I get these 2 clubs done. I'm not looking to change my irons so by regripping them I should get another 1 or 2 years out this set.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
No they didn't they just offered the regripping, wasn't aware of extra tape etc.

Didn't realise how bad my grips were until I get these 2 clubs done. I'm not looking to change my irons so by regripping them I should get another 1 or 2 years out this set.

The same as anything, the lifespan of the grip will depend on ow much you use them.

As for extra tape, some people do, some dont.

I personally have 3-4 additional layers of tape depending on grip size (0.58 or 0.60) so the clubs feels comfortable in my hand. Standard grips feel far too thin so my preferece is to have a few additional layers of tape.

Dave B

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I've just bought a second hand set of Ping i15 irons but the grips, (Golf pride VDR's), are midsize and have 4 layers of tape. They are in good condition but are a little on the large side as I generally use a standard grip, so my intention is to try them over the weekend and then change them for the Ping ID8's as I like the idea of the reminder rib in the Ping grips. I've changed a few grips in the past and don't mind doing it myself.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I've just bought a second hand set of Ping i15 irons but the grips, (Golf pride VDR's), are midsize and have 4 layers of tape. They are in good condition but are a little on the large side as I generally use a standard grip, so my intention is to try them over the weekend and then change them for the Ping ID8's as I like the idea of the reminder rib in the Ping grips. I've changed a few grips in the past and don't mind doing it myself.

I bet that feels like you're holding a cricket bat!

Keyser Soze

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Had a spare half hour before a knock yesterday so popped into AG on my way to Otley GC. Was having a browse determinded not buy anything and noticed the grips so decided to get my SW and Taylormade fairway regripped. Think it could be the best £12 I've spent on golf gear so far.

Great service again from AG, no pressure on which grip to buy and the clubs were regripped in about 5 minutes.

Just out of interest, did you go straight from AG to the course and use them? Aren't you meant to allow them to dry for 24 hours or so ?

BrizoH71

Tour Rookie
brianhealy.net
Got my 17 hybrid done a few weeks ago... took my club pro about 5 minutes to change, and was good for play after a half-hour.

Still can't hit it though, but that's more to do with me than the grip. :D

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
Went to AG to enquire about getting my irons regripped.

Me- "Excuse me, do you have your grips out on the floor or through the back"
Asst- "We keep them through the back"
Me- "Oh"
Asst- "What kind are you looking for"
Me- "To be honest, I don't know. It'll be the first time regripping my clubs and I was looking for advice"
Asst- "Advice?? I can't give you advice, I'm sorry. Hold on"
(Assistant walks away)

1 minute later store assistant comes back with 5 available grips.

Asst- "These 3 are £9.99 plus £2 fitting"
Me- "And the other two?"
Asst- "Hold on"

Assistant walks away and comes back two minutes later.

Asst- "These are £5 each"
Me- "Do you have some clubs with each of the grips fitted so I know what feels nice?"
Asst- "No. Callaway clubs have the red grip on them and we have some clubs in the second hand section to look at"
Me- "Thanks for your help".
Asst- "When were you wanting them done? We won't be able to do them this weekend at all. It might be next week if you want them all done, but we might be busy".

Nice one AG. Guy was as helpful as I think he was ALLOWED to be, but wasn't able to offer advice on which grip is best for me or even present me with clubs which have each grip fitted :confused::confused::confused::confused:

I really wish we had a wee pro shop at my club.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Really think it depends which AG shop you go to. Guy in AG yesterday was great, let me wonder round, gave what advice I want on the grips, recommended the mid range rather than the more expensive £10/12 grips and took them downstairs to get regripped and back again within another walk around the shop. Plus he didn't try sell me anything else which has happended in other shops I've visited.

V

vkurup

Recently got my pro to regrip my Yonex 4 Hybrid... Put a Lamkin Crossline full chord.. Terrific job!! Cant recommend enough..

londonlewis

Tour Rookie
www.golfdrawer.com
got the TM regripped and used it yesterday. WOW instantly noticed a difference and was maybe hitting it maybe 10/15 yards longer than I was doing and I think its as simple as it gripping and feeling much better.

Call me a cynic but I don't see how adding 10/15 yards is the result of your clubs being regripped.

Shiny

Head Pro
Visit site
Really think it depends which AG shop you go to. Guy in AG yesterday was great, let me wonder round, gave what advice I want on the grips, recommended the mid range rather than the more expensive £10/12 grips and took them downstairs to get regripped and back again within another walk around the shop. Plus he didn't try sell me anything else which has happended in other shops I've visited.

If thats the Menston branch I have had nothing but good experiences with them, I went into the Sheffield branch the other day and could not even get the assistants to speak let alone be helpful.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Call me a cynic but I don't see how adding 10/15 yards is the result of your clubs being regripped.

Maybe the club was slipping before?? Whatever it was I was hitting the ball further, whether that was anything to do with the new grip (which I think it was). I don't hit the ball the longest but my Taylormade which I got regripped I would normally hit 160/165ish and I was definitely hitting it longer than that.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If thats the Menston branch I have had nothing but good experiences with them, I went into the Sheffield branch the other day and could not even get the assistants to speak let alone be helpful.

Yes it is mate, I've had an indifferent experience in there before but all the others times they've been great.

Dave B

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Gareth you're right. I removed the grip on the 4 iron today and it has two layers of silver duct tape underneath the grip tape. The Ping ID8 grips arrived today so I'm just waiting for the grip tape to arrive so I can re-grip the clubs. Unfortunately looks like I'll have to use my old clubs over the weekend otherwise I'll be hitting 6's