Re-Gripping Clubs

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Most of my irons now need new grips and I am looking to save a few quid if possible.

I am not looking to do it myself as I am useless at anything like this but what I want to do is buy a set of grips online where they are cheaper and get them fitted.

First question is, am I going to offend a pro if I ask him to fit grips that I have bought. I assuming he has a mark up on the grips plus a fitting fee so I would be cutting into his profit if I provide the grips.

Second question is, does anyone have any experience as whether this is cheaper. How much would someone look to charge to fit a grip (I have only seen prices for buying and fitting).

Normally I would just go to the pro and pay what it costs but counting the pennies a bit at the moment so trying to save a pound or two where I can (and I cannot really put off having some of my clubs re-gripped until next year).

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I asked the same question at the weekend. He wasn't overly fussed as he didn't stock the ones I was looking at and just said £2-3 per club to put them on. I guess it comes down then to how much you can get the grips you want for

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Honestly Greg, regripping is a doddle. If I can do it anyone can.

Second that.

I get my tour velvet Golf pride grips for about £3, simple to install and professional results every time (cant be said for everywhere you go).

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Honestly Greg, regripping is a doddle. If I can do it anyone can.

Second that.

I get my tour velvet Golf pride grips for about £3, simple to install and professional results every time (cant be said for everywhere you go).

Hopefully thirded.

Doing mine in the next couple of days. How hard can it be

I got mine for £3.05 each from Gamola, about the same price for standard Golf Pride if that's what you like.

Pro's normally fit the grips for free if you're buying the grips from them, obviously they make their money on the grip.
I had one done about a month ago and it cost me £4 fitted.

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It really is easy, actually I put two new grips on tonight and it took me all of 15 minutes what with taking the old ones off, old tape etc. I find it remarkably satisfying..... sadly enough.

Save yourself £20 and do them yourself.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm not sure you would save by buying elsewhere and getting your pro to fit. Homer's pro wants £2 - £3 to fit, add on the cost of grips + postage. Mine cost £5 fitted.

DCB

Visit site
Sorry guys, but, I'm afraid I don't agree with the penny pinching attitude which seems to be prevalent here regarding a putting your grips into the Pro shop to be done. I don't think it's fair to buy in your grips and then get the Pro to fit them. Lifes hard enough in a Pro shop at the moment. We're all to eager to go and buy our clubs elsewhere for a bigger discount from a store, online or otherwise, that can knock out the goods cheaper because of their economy of scale and in the case if online stores, possible lower overheads for their wee industrial unit !

The Pro won't make a living out of changing grips for the members, but, if you're puting them in to get done at least have the decency to let him make enough money for his next packet of ciggies by supplying and fitting the grips. You're only going to save a tenner if you supply your own, see it as an investment or in the summer, you may not get that cold drink and mars bar as the poor Pro has gone out of business ;)

TobyRich1928

Head Pro
Visit site
im getting some grips and fitting them myself so hopeful it shouldnt be to hard, it doesnt sound like it is so i would recommend that u try regrip 1 and see how it goes, and if it goes bad, get the pro to do the rest

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
My grips turned up yesterday so I did them last night. The old grips had already been removed so I had a head start, but they only take a few minutes each unless you want to get fussy about completely removing all the old adhesive (I got all the tape off, just not the residue).

I reckon it took me about an hour and a half to do 12 grips, and that was taking my time and having a couple of tea breaks as well.

It really is as easy as everyone says it is if anyone's thinking of having a go.

Some things that I didn't realise and learnt along the way were...

Make sure the bench/vice isn't going to move when you push hard enough to get the new grip on.
Once the grip starts to go on, don't stop, don't take your time, just get it on.
Don't leave the container you're catching the solvent in halfway off the edge of a chair because it will fall if the chair gets knocked slightly

Here they are. I know they might not be perfect, but I'm happy enough with how they turned out. Can't wait to play now, they feels soooooooo nice.

b708c039-1.jpg

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
Well, since I found out that my local driving range will fit a full set of grips supplied by myself for less than a fiver, that is now my route of choice.

Set of Mizuno M-21's from t'bay (or some Golf Prides from Gamola, maybe next time) and get them to fit them.

Going to see if they can set me up for length and lie this evening and enquire about lessons. I don't officially join my new club until April and this golf club is closer so I make use of their driving range. Ideally I'd like to use the pro at my new club for lessons (eventually) but this seems the better option since it's closer for evening lessons and practice. I would join there as a member but the course is flat and boring and it's way too expensive for a 7 day membership.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Sorry guys, but, I'm afraid I don't agree with the penny pinching attitude which seems to be prevalent here regarding a putting your grips into the Pro shop to be done. I don't think it's fair to buy in your grips and then get the Pro to fit them.

I have to agree up to a point. However my pro only has a couple of types of grip in stock and doesn't stock Golf Pride multi compound for example. If I want my grips changed I either have to order them online and do it myself or take it somewhere else and leave them (usually for a couple of days). At least with my pro, I can give him what I want on them, leave them and have lunch and know he'll have done them and they'll be perfect. I usually put a drink behind the bar for him too

drawboy

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you haven't tried it then give it a go. I can't adjust loft and lie, or fit new shafts if needed I don't have the gear but I can re-grip my clubs and get a lot of satisfactionand enjoyment from doing it.It is just a craft knife, tape and a bottle of white spirit. It really is as easy as it looks. I haven't got a vise but still manage to put them on easily so don't be put off. If you are a bit worried just start by doing one, whats the worst that can happen then?

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sorry guys, but, I'm afraid I don't agree with the penny pinching attitude which seems to be prevalent here regarding a putting your grips into the Pro shop to be done. I don't think it's fair to buy in your grips and then get the Pro to fit them.

I have to agree up to a point. However my pro only has a couple of types of grip in stock and doesn't stock Golf Pride multi compound for example. If I want my grips changed I either have to order them online and do it myself or take it somewhere else and leave them (usually for a couple of days). At least with my pro, I can give him what I want on them, leave them and have lunch and know he'll have done them and they'll be perfect. I usually put a drink behind the bar for him too

This is another part of it for me as well. Generally my pro only stocks Golf Pride Tour Velvet and I want something a little different (Multi compound or even Black Widow) and maybe a brighter colour than black. Options are buy them online and see if the pro will fit them or go to direct golf in peterborough.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
As I said befor, if you want, I will show you how to do the first one and you can do the rest.
You'll never have to pay again :)

Don't leave the container you're catching the solvent in halfway off the edge of a chair because it will fall if the chair gets knocked slightly

I imagine you're pouring solvent over the taped area of the grip and catching the remains in the tray.
It's much easier to simply dip the end of the shaft into the solvent bottle and give it a wibble. Last waste, mess and smell :D

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

I imagine you're pouring solvent over the taped area of the grip and catching the remains in the tray.
It's much easier to simply dip the end of the shaft into the solvent bottle and give it a wibble. Last waste, mess and smell :D

Yes Bob, that's what the (hastily thought up) plan was. I didn't really think it through before I started.

Dipping the shaft in the bottle sounds much better, although I only had a small diy bottle not a big one like you probably buy so it would only have got a few inches wet, ooeeerrr.

I wanted to use a roasting tray but the missus stopped me :D

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Hah!
I've got an old one that was about to be thrown out - roasting tin that is, not the Missus!!!!
Just done Driver, 4 wood and hybrid. Only took a few minutes start to finish.