Range drills

banksy

Visit site
Hi,

I am new to the Forum, so I guess this has been asked 100 times already.

I want to ask about getting more out of practising on the range. Currently, I have the tendency to try and hit everything as straight as possible, and start with wedges working up to driver. The problem is that sometimes after I have hit 75 balls I feel that I didn't really find anything new out about my swing or how I am doing (except whether I am hitting the ball o.k, which is not always the case)

I guess the only *real* way to practise is by playing, but I wanted to ask what other people do on the range and how they practise more effectively? Do you have a set drill of trying to hit specific targets on the range? How can you best simulate a more pressured environment?

cheers,

jdchelsea

Head Pro
Visit site
I've heard people saying play an imaginary hole picking targets out on the range. when hitting drives at the range I like to set imaginary fairway boundaries. Other than that it's just target practice and not just hitting the ball as hard as I can.

Always thought this was a good practice thing but never had the time to do it myself might be something in it that might help you.

http://blogs.golf.com/oneoffs/break 80 worksheets.pdf

Mattyboy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Its too easy to just rake and beat balls at the range, so I leave the range for working on mechanics, if I am working on anything. I prefer to play a few holes.

However, change clubs regularly and shape every shot to a specific target.

Jungle

Head Pro
Visit site
I always try and play a hole.

Take one off the tee then next ball is either the hybrid or a 5 - 7 iron. Finish off with a wedge. My driving range has a green just over a big water hazard, perfect for the short game. It means I think about each shot more.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
It depends on what you are working on. Swing mechanics and I've no issue hitting a number of balls to groove a change. If I'm practicing I'll hit some wedge to warm up and get a good rhythmn and then hit no more than 5 balls with each club. Sometimes I'll break it up by trying to hit high, low, left to right, right to left shots for a while rather than everything at a target or as straight as I can

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I only ever go to the range to work on something specific, never just to hit balls.

Pick an aspect of your game you want to improve and go and do specific work.

Drills are good so long as they are relevant to what where you want to take your game :thup: