Rakes and Bunkers

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Was playing today and was in a wide bunker. I took the rake in and placed it near me for convience after I had played my shot. 2 of my playing partners claimed that this was a penalty and that they had both been called on it before. I was sure that there was no problem with taking rakes or other clubs into a bunker as long as they were not used to test the sand. As it happens it would have made no difference as I could not score by that stage but would be interested to hear who was right.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
back to rule one in such situations - first ask them nicely which rule they think you have broken.

rule two would be to ask if it was John P who picked them up on it and in which tournament.

in this case they would have been making it up if they came up with one.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
You can even place your bag in the bunker.

Bet that would have got them going. :D

Might have to try that one next week (and remember my rule book this time to prove I am right).

It is amazing how misconceptions spread through clubs. One person gets a rule wrong and calls a penalty. Neither check and assume that the decision was correct so they pass it on to other people and suddenly you have half the club believing it is true.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I like clubs that have rake stands in bunkers, this removes the question of where the rake should be placed. If there is no stand I prefer the rake to be central with the handle in line with the tee box.

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
On this topic, where should a rake be placed. I prefer to the side/front of the bunker. My playing partner said it should me in the middle pointing towards the hole...

My understanding is that, where the convention is for rakes to be left in bunkers, they should be placed with the handle just resting on the back edge so that it can be easily picked up without having to go onto the bunker and with the head in the bunker in such a way that if a ball were to come to rest against the rake it would not be trapped on a down slope or any other awkward place. Usually that means laying the rake so it points in the direction of play.

Nice picture courtesy of Hawks Landing Golf Club, Wisconsin, Greens Department, of the correct placement

IMG_0826.JPG

I really hate it when people either carefully place them parallel to the side or back edge so that any ball rolling into the bunker gets trapped against the rake leaving an impossible shot or alternatively people who toss the rake right into the middle so you have to walk in to get it.

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
people who toss the rake right into the middle so you have to walk in to get it.

Or head greenkeeper reckons this is the best place for them.

I can see that works from the point of view of ensuring the ball doesn't get trapped against the rake in an awkward place, and is fine if it is placed carefully, but the problem is it means you make a lot of additional footprints, especially if the bunker is a big one. Under the new rules you can now rake those before you play but overall it makes for extra hassle. Might not be too bad if it is only a small bunker and you can reach the handle without having to walk in to the bunker. Throwing rakes can also result in them getting broken. I've seen them being thrown quite hard.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
We have a hole in the ground just on the side of the bunker so we can put the handle of the rake into it ( sticks up by about 3 foot) . Have had this system in place for over a year now and not heard of anyone hitting the rake so far.
Our course is pretty free draining so very rarely do you get a wet handle, guess probably not such a good idea in wetter climes or courses

pogle

Head Pro
Visit site
You can even place your bag in the bunker.

Bet that would have got them going. :D

What would get them really going would be to take the rake into the bunker and then lean on it while waiting for them to play.

They'd probably go mental.

(See Decision 13-4/0.5)

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
On this topic, where should a rake be placed. I prefer to the side/front of the bunker. My playing partner said it should me in the middle pointing towards the hole...

Here is the R&A/USGA guidance:

Q.Should rakes be placed in or outside bunkers?
A.There is not a perfect answer for the position of rakes, but on balance it is felt there is less likelihood of an advantage or disadvantage to the player if rakes are placed outside bunkers.
It may be argued that there is more likelihood of a ball being deflected into or kept out of a bunker if the rake is placed outside the bunker. It could also be argued that if the rake is in the bunker it is most unlikely that the ball will be deflected out of the bunker.
However, in practice, players who leave rakes in bunkers frequently leave them at the side which tends to stop a ball rolling into the flat part of the bunker, resulting in a much more difficult shot than would otherwise have been the case. This is most prevalent at a course where the bunkers are small. When the ball comes to rest on or against a rake in the bunker and the player must proceed under Rule 24-1, it may not be possible to replace the ball on the same spot or find a spot in the bunker which is not nearer the hole - see Decision 20-3d/2.
If rakes are left in the middle of the bunker the only way to position them is to throw them into the bunker and this causes damage to the surface. Also, if a rake is in the middle of a large bunker it is either not used or the player is obliged to rake a large area of the bunker resulting in unnecessary delay.
Therefore, after considering all these aspects, it is recommended that rakes should be left outside bunkers in areas where they are least likely to affect the movement of the ball.
Ultimately, it is a matter for the Committee to decide where it wishes rakes to be placed.