Rahm

GuyInLyon

Visit site
Does anyone know of he was fully vaccinated before this all happened? I've read that the tour doesn't require daily testing if a player has been vaccinated.

D

Deleted Member 1156

I read in the press that he refused to be vaccinated so if true he only has himself to blame.

D

Deleted member 3432

I read in the press that he refused to be vaccinated so if true he only has himself to blame.

Has he refused to be vaccinated or not got round to it yet? Big diference between the two.

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
There's reports that he has had one dose earlier last week, but it was given after he'd been told he'd had contact with someone who was positive. He was allowed to enter the comp but told to limit any indoor activity, and to have daily tests. The test from Friday was positive as was a confirmation test. The confirmation test came in while he was playing Saturday's round, but they let him finish the round rather than pulling him out immediately.

D

Deleted member 1147

I think I read that he’d been in contact with someone who tested positive, so he had his first jab early last week.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
all then fans packed in unmasked, I wonder how many were not vaccinated or how many had not been flow tested.

I feel for Rham and his caddie as the financial penalty is massive. They should have had an official walk at safe distance and allow him to play solo.

They wouldn’t have attempted this with woods, Rory, and big phil so I’m still not sure how this has been allowed to happen.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
all then fans packed in unmasked...

They wouldn’t have attempted this with woods, Rory, and big phil so I’m still not sure how this has been allowed to happen.

Was Rahm close enough to fans for an extended time? Do masks make a difference, especially outside?

Is there discrimination on the tour?

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I feel for Rham and his caddie as the financial penalty is massive. They should have had an official walk at safe distance and allow him to play solo.

Issue is there have already been 3 other players who’ve been removed from competitions for this reason and you can’t show favouritism to Rahm just because he’s an A Lister and leading a tournament.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Issue is there have already been 3 other players who’ve been removed from competitions for this reason and you can’t show favouritism to Rahm just because he’s an A Lister and leading a tournament.

Fully agree that you should not favour any golfer, but going forward is there a better solution to this that could accommodate the player continuing?

Jon Rahm should be pretty much set for life; if that had been a rookie playing on a sponsor's exemption, that player has potentially just lost a tour card and that I would argue is a much bigger impact than happened to Rahm (and that is not to trivialise the impact on Rahm).

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
In reality, the PGA Tour's Covid policy is largely for cosmetic and corporate liability purposes. They need to show they have processes and procedures in place, but I doubt that these policies are really effective barriers against Covid. The galleries haven't a mask between them, not socially distancing and are close to the players quite often, albeit for short periods.

D

Deleted member 1147

It significantly reduces the chance. More relevantly, it exempts him from the PGA Tour's Covid isolation policy, but only if fully vacc'd.
It's interesting that on Twitter, on threads about Rahm, there are a lot of people stating that the vaccine can't stop you catching Covid, and that it merely reduces the symptoms for those that catch it.
Whether they are just anti-vaxxers or people "informed" differently I don't know.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It's interesting that on Twitter, on threads about Rahm, there are a lot of people stating that the vaccine can't stop you catching Covid, and that it merely reduces the symptoms for those that catch it.
Whether they are just anti-vaxxers or people "informed" differently I don't know.
I think what they are saying is right and is what the scientists are saying in this country

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think what they are saying is right and is what the scientists are saying in this country

It is absolutely not what scientists are saying. The vaccine can most certainly stop you getting Covid, and does so for up to 90-odd percent of recipients, and Covid will be milder in the other few percent. That is the whole flipping point.

It cannot stop a coronavirus settling on you if someone sneezes nearby, it does not create a virus-resistant force field, but that coronavirus will be very much less capable of replicating and spreading to others.

Initial medical advice over-emphasised the fact that you could still get Covid (although a lot less likely, and it will be milder) in order to maintain social distancing and social order.