Quick swing question!

kevster84

Head Pro
Visit site
During my downswing I have to make a mindful move to keep my hands in as they often get thrown out causing a shank. I have worked on stance and posture to prevent this happening. My question is how close to the body should the left and right arms remain on the swing? My current swing keeps the right bicep/tricep tucked close to the body but feels restrictive at the top. I'm trying to stabilise the arms but not sure if this is correct!

kevster84

Head Pro
Visit site
Thinking about it. I think the 'feeling' is actually me placing the club inside of parallel point 3 (after watching meandmygolf). If I don't do this the club comes OTT which causes shanks. Just a strange feeling.

stevelev

Journeyman Pro
www.ecclestonparkgolf.co.uk
Kevster, would be ideal to see your swing so people can make a comment based on what they can actually see as descriptions are sometimes misleading and lead to bad advice.

From what you say I would start with my set up and make sure that the fundamentals are spot on before every swing, even when practising make it habit to check everything such as grip, alignment, stance, ball position. If one if these is out a touch it can lead to numerous errors later in the swing.

When you upload swings try to get one from a front view so we can see you face on, then another video 'down the line'with the camera positioned far enough back so the whole club is in view throughout the swing.

Cheers

kevster84

Head Pro
Visit site
Thanks stevelev, I'm hoping to get to the range this week so will do my best to take and upload some videos. I posted one a month or two ago and have improved since then posture wise (I think) and playing wise. Still prone to the odd shank when I think I have solved it!

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
I suffer from the exact same issue, my swing thought is to avoid a shank and I'd like to move to eliminating that thought without letting my hands drift out.

kevster84

Head Pro
Visit site
It's a strange thought but one I hope becomes natural. Just feels like I'm pulling hands toward body but a few garden swings indicated its me stopping the wrists going outward and causing over the top swing.