Question!

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Can anyone tell me how the software works out which posts you haven't read?

It's definitely not working as I'd expect it to. :(

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
I do find the 4 picture thing poor........tried doing the St Andrews trip fotaes but also lost it.......can it be changed and if not it needs to be...

Is ten enough? I have changed it to that to see if that makes any difference.

As for the ten character thing I dont mind but it easily changed, it just stops all the one word and smilie answers.

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
:p
Hi Golfmad,

See if one of the forum members that you know and trust can use team viewer, logmein or remote desktop to gain access to your PC while you are on it and set it up to a layout you like and adjust the settings for you to make life easier.

Hope this helps

Steve...

Steve,

You really don't know me do you? Thanks for your effort, but I haven't a clue what you've just suggested. That's how much I don't know about computers.

Tried to put a smilie in there but couldn't manage it!

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
Can I just say that the old forum wasn't easier. We were just used to it. The old forum also had issues. Such as the fact that the active posts button didn't include all the threads that had been posted on that day. Give it time. Pretty soon, nobody will remember the old one.
On a side note, software doesn't define a forum, people do. The people haven't changed.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm hardly on here anymore (which could be considered a bonus, I admit) and me thinks it's got sumtin to do with the format.

Either that or I'm too busy practising with my Leadbetter training 6 iron and enjoying sub 80 scores.....

(OK, there was an 81 that crept in)

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Yet to find any advantage to the new site, only a load of disadvantages. Got rid of all signatures as they make each post huge, but know if I ask what clubs someones uses they say read my signature.:(:(:(:( Oh yes why can I only have four grumpy faces, as in a free world I would like five. (GRUMPY FACE)

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Give it time guys, installing this software is like moving into a new house.
The basic functionality is there, it needs refined to our tastes. The same software is used on techie forums, sports forums and even political forums so of course it won't be perfect straight out of the box.
Website feedback is the place for constructive feedback, if you find a problem, report it with as much detail as you see fit to help.

Myself, I think it is a massive improvement with a learning curve to match with regards to managing it.
The amount of tweaks being made at the moment cannot be seen by normal guys to be appreciated.
Merging threads, more visibility of spammers, ip addresses, levels of configuration for users options, a proper calendar, albums etc. the list goes on.
On the old forum there were complaints that it looked dowdy, lacked options and was old hat in many ways, pretty much damned if you do, damned If you don't.
A fair amount of the complaints are generally options that the user can set themselves or are in the process of being changed.
As I said, if you give it a chance you will have a far more usable forum, if you don't... Well you won't get used to it.

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sorry Brendy, but I've given it every chance. So it's not a case of not wanting to, more a case of not having the know how.

I'll say it again, IT'S TOO COMPLICATED.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Gm in your general settings, everything is described under each setting.
At worst, send one of us mods a list of what you are having diffs with and we can set it for you.

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sorry Brendy, but I've given it every chance. So it's not a case of not wanting to, more a case of not having the know how.

I'll say it again, IT'S TOO COMPLICATED.

Well why not take time and get the know how by having a play around?

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk
Hmmmm. Firstly, I'm no luddite. Worked in IT for over 20 years and in that time if I've learned one thing it's that the success (or otherwise) of a system is wholly dependent on meeting the business requirement of the users. The old forum did that. It did it just fine. The user base here are mostly (lets say) a slightly older demographic as with golf in general. We like stability. We don't like change too much. I'm sure the new forum is more in line with many out there and more fashionable BUT I'd guess that 75% of the folk on here don't go on other forums and don't care that much. I certainly don't but have been a regular contributor to this one for several years. I'm sure I'll get used to it and maybe in a few months the old one will be a distant memory but right now I can't see any actual improvements in the new forum to be honest, maybe I'm not looking hard enough but in terms of change for changes sake this is up there.
PS From a technical perspective there may of course be good reasons to upgrade and if that is the case then be honest, don't give it "the new all singing all dancing forum is the best ever" type line. Simply say it's necessary for reasons x,y,z and I for one would have said fine, understand that, no problem.

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well why not take time and get the know how by having a play around?

I have done, and I did as you suggested yesterday with the smilies - went into settings etc and saved the changes. When I posted this evening to the Doc I couldn't get to smilies.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
So you changed the "message interface editior" to "full wysiwyg" and then saved changes? if you did, the smilies should be at the top middle of the "quick reply" box. If not, then there are more serious issues..