Question!

Iaing

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I quite like it.

I find it faster than the old forum, and I haven't had any "server not found" errors, which I was getting constantly on the old forum. Very annoying after spending time typing a post.

HRC99

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I must say that I'd always felt the old one looked pretty tired and dated and was in need of a change.

And then the new layout arrived.

For no rational reason whatsoever, I absolutely hated it.

A little time down the line and I don't mind it now. It still looks very unfamiliar and, I guess, that's probably it. I was so used to the old layout, it was an old friend, now it's gone and I'm a bit sad.

Another week or two and I probably won't miss the old layout at all.

Is it just me or does it seem quieter on here since the switch? If you take out that plonker's rantings, it seems very quiet.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Is it just me or does it seem quieter on here since the switch? If you take out that plonker's rantings, it seems very quiet.

Quite a few of the old faces not posting at the moment. Leftie hasn't been around since the new site kicked off. Hope he is ok.
I found the new site a little strange at first, and like somebody else mentioned...losing the old site seems a bit like losing an old friend.
But by the same token, the old site was prone to crashing and freezing every now and then, we were always moaning about it when it happened. Despite the new sites "failings" it does appear to be a lot more stable.
My only annoyance with it thus far has been the number of hits by spammers. But that seems to be sorting itself out now. Jury is still out, but no big problems this end.

Last edited:

AyrHead

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Have to be honest and say i prefer the old one. Not finding this one very user friendly. Also don't know if its just my computer but scrolling down threads (especially with a large number of posts contained) is like scrolling through quicksand. Whole thing feels slow and unresponsive at times.

S

Snelly

I much prefer the older one. It wasn't broken so there was no need to fix it.

I have worked in IT for 15 years so am no luddite but I agree that this new forum is uneccessarily complicated.

Of course I could spend a while fiddling around but I can't be bothered. The upgrade has inconvenienced me and therefore I am grumpy about it. Certainly less posts from the old crowd too.

I am also irked at the no swearing rule although agree that this is off topic. I cannot stand being told what I can and cannot do. In fact, I might piss off somewhere else. Oops.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have to say, I prefer the older one. The functionality on the new one is great, but to me those are just finishing touches.

The overriding thing for me with the old forum is that I could load up the home page and instantly see which are the 'hot' topics and the volume of replies. It's harder (for me) to get this from the new site and ICBA to delve deeper. Also too many different pastel colours and for a colour-blind person that ain't good. :(

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Also don't know if its just my computer but scrolling down threads (especially with a large number of posts contained) is like scrolling through quicksand. Whole thing feels slow and unresponsive at times.

think its your PC/Browser/router/T'interweb, I access the forum from various pc's and iPhones/Ipads and from various locations with different ISP's and different browsers and no issues whatsover with speed. Run CCleaner (free) to clear out the cache and files, update your browser, run adaware (free), scan your pc with AVAST AV(free) and that should have you moving at the same speed as the rest of us.

Forum fine for me, plus guys its not going to go back the way so best you use the settings to have it looking and feeling the way that suits you (you couldnt do all that with the old one)

daveyc2k2

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I don't mind the new forum, although on this computer it is very slow. Seems to have a delay when I try and scroll through.

The older one was easy and something we were all used to. As they say people don't like change but as we and the admins get used to vbulletin, I'm sure we will find it a much easier and better forum to be in.

Twire

Global Moderator
Visit site
I much prefer the older one. It wasn't broken so there was no need to fix it.

I have worked in IT for 15 years so am no luddite but I agree that this new forum is uneccessarily complicated.

Of course I could spend a while fiddling around but I can't be bothered. The upgrade has inconvenienced me and therefore I am grumpy about it. Certainly less posts from the old crowd too.

I am also irked at the no swearing rule although agree that this is off topic. I cannot stand being told what I can and cannot do. In fact, I might piss off somewhere else. Oops.

It would be sad if you and others restrict your postings because you 'can't be bothered' to set the forum up how you like it. It's no different from buying a new phone, tv, computor etc. They will all be set to factory default settings and need tweaking to suit yourself. Behind the scenes the software is being looked at to see if any of the major gripes can be eliminated or changed, this will take a bit of time as it's new to admin as well.

Regarding the swearing rule it's always been there, you've just not seen it until now. ;)

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site

Yet you are quite happy to be told you can't play as a three ball on a golf course?:rolleyes:

S

Snelly

Yet you are quite happy to be told you can't play as a three ball on a golf course?:rolleyes:

I am quite happy to play at a course that has not allowed 3 balls for the past 80 years. I haven't been told I can't. I have simply chosen to play somewhere that forbids it and always has done.. I would not have the temerity to ask to do so.

There is a major difference. Plus if at said course, I shank a ball into the woods, I am perfectly entitled to swear!

FaldosJumper

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Until this morning I'd be happy to go back but the new update on my phone has improved the workability of it. However, for the most part on the old forum I just lurked and if you just lurked on this forum it'd seem fine too. So I don't feel qualified enough to say for sure but I did like the non fussy layout of the previous one but I'm prepared to give this one a go at the same time.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
The way I see it is that GM wanted and maybe needed the change. Ultimately it is there site and they decide the format we use. I'm not hugely PC literate and basically just changed to 40 posts per page and the WYSIWYG settings and its been fine. I think wanting to go back to the old software and set up is never going to happen. It would be a shame if people didn't post because of it as it is the people and not the technology that make it such a great place to be. The cynic in me says these people will decide to go until a fantastic Forum only offer comes up and verrily the software isn't quite so hard to use. As I say that'll be the hardnosed sceptic in me.

As I've said no real complaints from me as a near luddite and I hope the naesayers give it a little longer as your banter really does make it a thriving, interesting, humourous, constructive, insightful, controversial and funny place to be

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
That's a problem as I see it, having to adjust settings to this and that. What about new people to the forum who won't do this and just move on to another forum?

Are you saying it is too much bother to change a couple of settings after spending 5 minutes or so mooching about, when most of the people here are quite willing to go for a walk in the rain for 4 hours. Bizarre.

A

Alex1975

I am ok with this one but would happily go back... I seem to be using the forum a lot less now but I have no idea if that is because of the change or just coincidence.

teetime72

Head Pro
Visit site
Hmmmm. Firstly, I'm no luddite. Worked in IT for over 20 years and in that time if I've learned one thing it's that the success (or otherwise) of a system is wholly dependent on meeting the business requirement of the users. The old forum did that. It did it just fine. The user base here are mostly (lets say) a slightly older demographic as with golf in general. We like stability. We don't like change too much. I'm sure the new forum is more in line with many out there and more fashionable BUT I'd guess that 75% of the folk on here don't go on other forums and don't care that much. I certainly don't but have been a regular contributor to this one for several years. I'm sure I'll get used to it and maybe in a few months the old one will be a distant memory but right now I can't see any actual improvements in the new forum to be honest, maybe I'm not looking hard enough but in terms of change for changes sake this is up there.
PS From a technical perspective there may of course be good reasons to upgrade and if that is the case then be honest, don't give it "the new all singing all dancing forum is the best ever" type line. Simply say it's necessary for reasons x,y,z and I for one would have said fine, understand that, no problem.

spot on.If it aint broke!!