Question about putters and putting arc

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Not sure who will know the correct answer Bob are you still here ? ( i always valued his opinion and advice )

Using a slight arc stroke and my Ping Anser putter i have good results

Using the same stroke style but Odyssey Rossie face balanced i also get good results

So the question is slight arc or straight back and through does it make any difference really ?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I have an Anser blade and switched to an odyssey half mallet #9 as I thought it served my slight arc better. I was told (maybe incorrectly) that a heel toe design was better for an arc and my toe weighted mallet should be more back and through. To be honest my arc is the last thing I worry about on the course and if they are going in then Im happy. Interesting question and I'd love to hear Bob's take

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
What's this guys arc? If you ask me he nearly hits his right toe with the putter on the way back and swings OUTWARDS at about 45 degrees... he seems to be a pretty good player....

[video=youtube;VpQdAzxBRyw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=VpQdAzxBRyw[/video]

Surely it's whatever you're comfortable with?... and/or whatever seems to work the best for you.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
What's this guys arc? If you ask me he nearly hits his right toe with the putter on the way back and swings OUTWARDS at about 45 degrees... he seems to be a pretty good player....

[video=youtube;VpQdAzxBRyw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=VpQdAzxBRyw[/video]

Surely it's whatever you're comfortable with?... and/or whatever seems to work the best for you.

Looks like he has an open stance and swings straight back and through the target line to me.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Looks like he has an open stance and swings straight back and through the target line to me.

Feet and shoulders open, putter moves away from him at 45 degrees towards the hole, outwards to his body. Make of it what you will.

To me it shows that you just gotta find a way to get the ball in the hole. There's so many different ways to do something as simple as putting that there really doesn't look to me like there can be one way and one way only. Would someone actually teach you to swing outwards from your body line? I don't think he was worrying about whether his arc was back and through or slightly curved.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Wasn't there an American tour player - last 10-15 yrs- but can't remember his name, who cut across all his putts with a glancing blow!

I tried it and it works fine as long as the face is facing your desired direction at impact.

I have a strong arc apparently, but because I didn't know that for the last 25 years I just knocked the ball with a flat stick at the hole!

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
Feet and shoulders open, putter moves away from him at 45 degrees towards the hole, outwards to his body. Make of it what you will.

To me it shows that you just gotta find a way to get the ball in the hole. There's so many different ways to do something as simple as putting that there really doesn't look to me like there can be one way and one way only. Would someone actually teach you to swing outwards from your body line? I don't think he was worrying about whether his arc was back and through or slightly curved.

The way I see it if your struggling with your putting, eliminate one thing at a time. If getting a putter that suits your swing type helps you, then go for it. If standing open and swinging accross your body with the wrong style of putter works, then use it.

I believe the greater the arc the more weight you need at either end of the club. If you have a arc that goes in-out-in, you need a putter that is toe weighted to bring the toe end back around. (least this is pings theory). This theory is the reverse of what you would do with a driver. Very odd.