Qualifiers begin

Vikingman

Head Pro
Visit site
Just played my first two qualifiers of the season and my HI has increased from 12.6 to 14.0. Replacing a couple of 83's with 90's tends to have that effect. Likely to get worse as my next score to come out is 82. Seems as I'm following the same path as last year when I quickly hit the soft cap before stabilising it and eventually getting back to where I started. Anyone else struggling early season?

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
We had our first qualifier last weekend, as above, the course is still pretty much in partial winter mode, very tough off the whites. Luckily my round was that bad it got nowhere near my best 8/20!

Poxy weather. I’m normally in shorts, polo and summer shoes by now!

D

Deleted member 1147

Personally I don't think qualifiers should start in this country until May.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Our first medal was the first weekend in April, I think we have had at least 10 comps since then, plenty of ok scores. Tbh at the moment our course is pretty easy as there is zero rough and the greens receptive. At the moment you could almost blast it anywhere apart from the gorse and have a decent lie. Once we get proper growth the course will get harder and its probably it's hardest in August when the rough it up and the fairways and greens ate rock hard.

Springveldt

Visit site
Had an email from the club today to say that qualifiers are now on going forward. Someone must have got excited that we’ve had 18 greens on for 3 days in a row for the first time since October. (we’ve had 2 greens out of action for drainage work over the winter)

Based on my round last Wednesday when you where still getting mud balls and plugged lies I’m not sure it’s the right move. My next round is Wednesday and not much rain forecast between now and then so I’m hoping for the best.

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I always struggle through the winter and we have qualifiers throughout, a combination of work and life pressures make it difficult for me to play more than 2 - 3 times a month, plus (to me) the course plays tougher in the winter. The last 4 qualifiers have seen my 4 best scores drop off to be replaced with some pretty poor scores, so my handicap has gone up nearly 2 full shots.

Played off the whites on Saturday for the first time this year in a club league match and started to find a bit of form. Hopefully that will continue next weekend for our first board comp of the year.......well that statement should guarantee a 24 point haul! :ROFLMAO:

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Our first medal was the first weekend in April, I think we have had at least 10 comps since then, plenty of ok scores. Tbh at the moment our course is pretty easy as there is zero rough and the greens receptive. At the moment you could almost blast it anywhere apart from the gorse and have a decent lie. Once we get proper growth the course will get harder and its probably it's hardest in August when the rough it up and the fairways and greens ate rock hard.
10 comps in 24 days. Amazing. 2 at my club.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Our qualifiers never stop all year unless there are more than 2 temp greens. I suppose it is the benefit of living in the South West

I find it hard to get my head around having a season for comps.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Our qualifiers never stop all year unless there are more than 2 temp greens. I suppose it is the benefit of living in the South West

I find it hard to get my head around having a season for comps.
We have comps all year but only monthly from November to March.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We have qualifiers all year round, but I won't play a qualifier between November and March as I prefer to just "enjoy" winter golf....;)

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We have comps all year but only monthly from November to March.
We have a seniors comp every other Monday with the booking sheet full or nearly full every time
A ladies comp every other Tuesday
Club Saturday comp every month, sometimes 2 in a month
Weekly comps on Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Sunday alternate weeks.