Putts Gained

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
I can't attach the file as it's restricted on here however.

If anybody wants to track their putts gained for their rounds than see the top left download of the link below which yields a spreadsheet:

http://steveastlegolf.co.uk/coaching-resources/4543245555

All you have to do is enter the length from the hole of your first putt and how many putts it took you to finish the hole, very easy however extremely useful.

Very good to see how you fair and can be quite surprising at times, during a recent round I had 31 putts which I felt unhappy with however this translated to 1.82 putts gained against PGA tour average.

The issue on the day was my approach shots which were woeful not giving me enough chances of 1 putting and forcing numerous lag putts on the day.

Some other useful resources on the link too, hope its of use to some of you.

Here is a screenshot of how it looks, I'm using numbers on iMac however.

Attachments

• pg.jpeg
    pg.jpeg
    544.7 KB · Views: 25

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Putts gained? I want less putts not more of them.. :LOL:

In all seriousness though I might give this a go, if I can ever remember how far away I was from the hole. What's a good or bad number for 'putts gained'?

I track how many putts I make in each round, but not the distances of them - if I see a 3 putt on there I just think back and if the first was a really long one I let myself off. :p

Edit: I'm also really bad at estimating distance in feet. Like if it's quite far it could be 25 feet or 40 feet for all I know.

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
Putts gained? I want less putts not more of them.. :LOL:

In all seriousness though I might give this a go, if I can ever remember how far away I was from the hole. What's a good or bad number for 'putts gained'?

I track how many putts I make in each round, but not the distances of them - if I see a 3 putt on there I just think back and if the first was a really long one I let myself off. :p

Edit: I'm also really bad at estimating distance in feet. Like if it's quite far it could be 25 feet or 40 feet for all I know.

I work on the premise that 1 decent stride is around 3 foot. But I get all my putt lengths and number of putts from my shot scope post round which is surprisingly accurate due to the pin collect feature.

You're just working to averages really, use it as a tool to see where you are dropping shots most against the tour average and practice that. For some it will be lag putting for others it will be sinking more putts within 8 foot.

I've not really thought about a good or bad number for putts gained, that will also vary down to skill level so if anything start tracking and try to improve from their I'd say.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ok, I just filled it in from my last round on Saturday, from the best of my recollection, and my total putts gained was -4.78 - although I've had to leave the 18th blank because I blobbed that one.

There were two 3 or 4 footers missed unfortunately, but also a good 30-footer holed to maybe balance it out a tad. Overall I didn't putt great because it was a new course, very hilly and slopey and we didn't know the greens obviously.

Springveldt

Visit site
Any of those shot tracker things out there able to track putts as well? I've got a Garmin watch but it's useless for tracking putting and chipping.

edit: OK, just filled in that spreadsheet and as expected my putting as garbage. -4.94 for the round even although I had 36 putts. Couldn't hole a damn thing all day. :)

Last edited:

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
Any of those shot tracker things out there able to track putts as well? I've got a Garmin watch but it's useless for tracking putting and chipping.

Shotscope V2 i find is good.

I take a couple of practice strokes before my putt which establishes my location fairly well, once the ball is holed as you're at the hole you click the 'pin collect' which locates the flag.

It's open to slight error due to GPS but it gives a fairly good base, there quite cheap now too at only around £135 they were about £200 from memory when I originally bought mine.

Springveldt

Visit site
Shotscope V2 i find is good.

I take a couple of practice strokes before my putt which establishes my location fairly well, once the ball is holed as you're at the hole you click the 'pin collect' which locates the flag.

It's open to slight error due to GPS but it gives a fairly good base, there quite cheap now too at only around £135 they were about £200 from memory when I originally bought mine.
Thanks.
Seems like Garmin actually do them as well but they are stupidly expensive (£260) and they don't link to my Garmin Golf watch (X40) which seems a bit stupid.

Guess I'll just go with the guesswork and keep that spreadsheet handy.

edit: Gamin do a "Starter Pack" of 3 of the sensors for £70. I would probably have went for it if it was 4 so I could put them on my putter and 3 wedges.

Last edited:

sunshine

Visit site
Is GPS accurate enough for putting stats? ok for yardages but for feet?

Other option is to carry a tape measure. But maybe discussion around that belongs in a slow play thread :ROFLMAO:

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
Is GPS accurate enough for putting stats? ok for yardages but for feet?

Other option is to carry a tape measure. But maybe discussion around that belongs in a slow play thread :ROFLMAO:

Not when your within several feet of the hole, you can have a 3 inch tap in range from 2-3 foot as a recorded put. Anything over 6 foot seems to pick up reasonably well so it can be worked around to a degree.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I can't attach the file as it's restricted on here however.

If anybody wants to track their putts gained for their rounds than see the top left download of the link below which yields a spreadsheet:

http://steveastlegolf.co.uk/coaching-resources/4543245555

All you have to do is enter the length from the hole of your first putt and how many putts it took you to finish the hole, very easy however extremely useful.

Very good to see how you fair and can be quite surprising at times, during a recent round I had 31 putts which I felt unhappy with however this translated to 1.82 putts gained against PGA tour average.

The issue on the day was my approach shots which were woeful not giving me enough chances of 1 putting and forcing numerous lag putts on the day.

Some other useful resources on the link too, hope its of use to some of you.

Here is a screenshot of how it looks, I'm using numbers on iMac however.

I find that very hard to believe that 31 putts was nearly 2 strokes better than PGA Tour average.

I know strokes doesn't translate directly to strokes gained, but I doubt there is a PGA Tour player who averages more than 30 putts per round over a season.

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
I find that very hard to believe that 31 putts was nearly 2 strokes better than PGA Tour average.

I know strokes doesn't translate directly to strokes gained, but I doubt there is a PGA Tour player who averages more than 30 putts per round over a season.

I normally average mid 20's that would probably give a fairer reflection as my approach shots typically leave me with some good birdie opportunities not all lengthy putts.

The strokes gained doesn't really take into account number of putts, as its related to proximity to the hole and I had nothing but long putts that day so it does create a bit of an anomaly having a high putts per round average whilst still gaining strokes for those average length of putts.

The guys on tour wouldn't typically leave themselves with the lengths of putts I had that day to get a fair contrast typically. To tally up that number of putts or create a decent strokes gained average as they are much closer on the green, but it was blowing a howler on large greens so I had sizeable length putts throughout the round on a bit of an off day trying out new swing changes.

EDIT:

Just compared another round with 28 putts I was actually -0.5 so it gives an idea, its down to the 3 putt avoidance on such long average putts on the initial image I posted I think.

Last edited:

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I normally average mid 20's that would probably give a fairer reflection as my approach shots typically leave me with some good birdie opportunities not all lengthy putts.

The strokes gained doesn't really take into account number of putts, as its related to proximity to the hole and I had nothing but long putts that day so it does create a bit of an anomaly having a high putts per round average whilst still gaining strokes for those average length of putts.

The guys on tour wouldn't typically leave themselves with the lengths of putts I had that day to get a fair contrast typically. To tally up that number of putts or create a decent strokes gained average as they are much closer on the green, but it was blowing a howler on large greens so I had sizeable length putts throughout the round on a bit of an off day trying out new swing changes.

EDIT:

Just compared another round with 28 putts I was actually -0.5 so it gives an idea, its down to the 3 putt avoidance on such long average putts on the initial image I posted I think.

Yes - maybe that's fair enough.

I guess most pro's will actually not have that much opportunity to gain that many strokes over their opponents during a whole season.

The long putts will almost always result in a 2 putt with most putts inside 6 feet averaging probably almost exactly 1.0 (to the nearest decimal place), especially given the number of tap ins that are never missed. So it is just the guys holing a few 10 to 20 footers that are really doing anything for the stats.

Plus they putt on fast greens to tight pins, which would likely sort out most amateurs and have them 3 or 4 putting several times a round.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
A a person who loves stats I think the data is great, but I won’t collect it until it’s automated fully.

I would rather focus on the golf out on the course than worry about measuring putts.