putting woes

B

birdieman

Have played 8 or so qualifying events this season and handicap is in freefall. This is all down to putting, my tee to green game is in excellent shape but every game I am taking 33-35 putts which is killing my score. I am not 3 putting often but I cannot sink anything in the 6-20' range, confidence is low and the hole is about the size of a penny. Last night I was 3 over par on 16th green having missed at least 5 makeable putts and missed a birdie putt of 2', whereupon I whacked the ball away without holing out for a NR, I wasn't proud of myself but the umpteenth missed makeable putt this year drove me over the edge? My technique and stroke seem fine but they ain't dropping, have ordered a new Odyssey 2 ball in desperation. What advice can anyone give me to hole more putts?

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Difficult, because putting is all about confidence, and if you have none, it is hard to get.

If you want to throw money at it, see a sports psychologist. Failing that, new kit is always good.

PaulOHagan

GM Staff
Visit site
Get on the putting green and simply spend half an hour holing six footers-i don't think its important that your holing them all its more the fact you are improving your feel. I always find after a solid practice session on the green i go into the next medal feeling more confident about my putting.

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've had a similar problem for ages now. I play off 9 but regularly have anywhere between 36 and 40 putts per round. It's infuriating.

This year I decided to do something about it. First thing was to work on pace putts to get rid of the 3 putts. That's getting better. Now I'm working on the makeable putts and the teaching aid I bought has helped. Follow this link.

http://www.pelzgolf.com/ProShop/LearningAids/Pointer.aspx

If you, like me, are missing short putts when your technique is fine then it's probably an aiming problem. Practice with this at home and you'll get better and the confidence will return. It has for me.

Golfer2112

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I reads somewhere (Golfmagic forum maybe) that an average golfer holes >90% of putts less than 3ft and <10% of putts > 10ft. As Paul09 said, just get on the putting green and practice those 4 to 10 footers.

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
Birdieman, stop the rot. This is how.

get down to the shop and buy a 'Line M Up' gadget that helps you draw a line on the ball. Over the Pro V1 logo is best. Then you line up the putt stand behind it about 10 feet and see if the line on theball coresponds with your minds eye. Then all you have to get right is the weight.

I HAVE USED THIS FOR YEARS AND AM NOT ASHAMED ;0)
'COS SO HAS TIGER, ERNIE, VEJAY AND ALL THE OTHER PLAYERS OUT THERE.

Just try it.

Andy

B

birdieman

Thanks for all the advice, I'm sure aiming is my problem, used to go ok with a 2 ball so going back to it. Journeyman -Re the Pelz pointer is this gadget available in the UK - I couldn't find it, postage from the US is obscene. I reckon I could make that Blue Peter style with a straw and some sellotape. Practice practice this weekend, see if I can cure this.

shanker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Maybe you could try concentrating on keeping as still as possible when you putt. And try not to look at the hole on the shorter ones until you hear the ball drop. I know it's easier said than done but I find it helps a lot. Good Luck!

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
Birdieman, re the Pelz Pointer.... I got this from the website when ordering a few other things to cut down on the postage costs. His books are good, as is the Putting Tutor device. Am sure I could make one myself but not convinced it would point in the right direction !

I attach it to my Odyssey Two Ball and practice 6 footers on the carpet at home. The putter obviously helps with initial alignment but the Pointer actually shows you where the face is aiming throughout the stroke, especially at the crucial moment...impact. Amazing how it corrects any aiming issues quickly and have cut down on the 3 putts dramatically. A golf aid which actually works. Wow.

Hoppy

Club Champion
Visit site
I saw a programme on the GolfChannel that spent time telling the pro's of trying left hand low when putting. I tried it at home on the carpet looked good felt strange, I tried it out for the first time on the course on Friday. I was amazed and so were my 2 playing partners. I tried it again on Saturday then again on Sunday in the medal. I was holeing more 6 to 10 footers than I have ever done and the long putts were all within a 2 foot circle. I am a convert left hand low is the way forward for me.

B

birdieman

saw the left hand low thing on the golf channel, I have tried this(only at home on the carpet) and it does feel very odd but I think you can hold the face square easier. Back starts to ache a bit in this position though. May have to try this on the course. Once in the past I tried turning the grip 90 degrees left so that the flat part of the grip faces the target as I'd read that can help, not sure if it did though. Never sure if I like 33" putter or 35" and the other day I started holing everything (in practice) with a very open stance where the left arm sweeps close to the body. Will keep experimenting, I think a good rhythm and making sure you follow through are key.

B

birdieman

just to update you I acquired a second hand Odyssey SRT 2 ball and confidence has soared, I actually believe I can hole some putts with it. However I played Wednesday evening and thought I'd putted ok with 5 single putts, but with the two 3 putts I had I still took 33 putts. Apparently this is far too many and I should be looking for under 30 per round. Is this normal for club golfers? How many do you take on average? I play off 6 so hit a reasonable amount of greens in regulation.

jade09

Visit site
33 putts is not terrible when you look at the tour stats; Euro tour pros have around 30 putts per round. USPGA about a stroke better on average. Knock a couple of putts off and you'll be up there with the pros.

If you aren't following through to the hole, try practising by putting to another ball a couple of feet away with a steady stroke before you start your round (forget about holing putts). Resultant gap between balls should be 2.5 to 4.0 feet depending on how direct a hit you make. Just keep playing the balls as they lie and you'll build up confidence.

Remember that every putt you make is a two to three foot putt - you only have to vary the length of swing for longer putts.

Be positive...

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
Birdieman, according to the Scoresaver software which has been mentioned in other posts, a 6 handicapper should be aiming for 31 putts per round. Same for me off 8 apparently. Goes down to 30 putts off 5.

Don't know where thay get these stats from but it's certainly a goal to aim for. I'm taking 34 per round which makes me realise I need to chip it closer more often!

Also, don't count putts from off the putting surface, no matter how close. Knocks the GIR stats back a bit though !

Golfer2112

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Have you tried either of these:

1. practice putting using only your right hand on the club.

2. switching to cack-handed grip ?

Just a couple of things that have worked for me and haven't cost me anything :)