Putting with flag in - unintended consequences

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I think i've seen another habit/behaviour we'll all get into pretty quickly

I've noticed it happening more regularly (with no discussion) once a player putts out with the flag in, just leave the ball there till the rest putt out then one of you pull the flag and another bends down to collect 2 or 3 balls

Less damage/footfall/time

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have seen them get bigger when you have a sagging flag and the wind is blowing hard. It rolls around the edge of the hole and widens it.

Nothing to do with anyone's hands. The stick acts like a rolling pin and makes the hole a little deformed.

Only really a winter thing.
Yes have seen this but it’s usually sorted straight away by a new hole/flag.
But what the op is saying this could be every hole not just the odd one.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

I've noticed it happening more regularly (with no discussion) once a player putts out with the flag in, just leave the ball there till the rest putt out then one of you pull the flag and another bends down to collect 2 or 3 balls

We did this at Lee park when I was member there with liverbirdie. The greens were like jelly at that time so we quickly came round to this idea.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Always remember playing with an old Scottish guy at Prestwick .
He would not putt if there was another ball in the hole as “ there’s not enough room for my ball”
It was common there for all four to hole out and whoever was last retrieved all four balls!
But that was flag out then not sure if four balls will go with flag in will have to try it next time.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We did this at Lee park when I was member there with liverbirdie. The greens were like jelly at that time so we quickly came round to this idea.
When I first joined Lee Park they only had canes for pins and only put comp pins/flags out for the comps.
They did make the holes bigger .

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
He would not putt if there was another ball in the hole as “ there’s not enough room for my ball”
It was common there for all four to hole out and whoever was last retrieved all four balls!
But that was flag out then not sure if four balls will go with flag in will have to try it next time.

With the change in the rules for when a ball is 'holed' there's tons of room for a 4-ball (prob one of the reason they made the change

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

You can get about 8 in there lol