Putting with the flag in Greenkeepers..

D

Deleted member 15344

I've still to witness this hokey cokey thing that people talk about, a bit of communication as you get to the green eases any confusion.

I was closest to the pin on Sunday but had a steep 8 foot downhill putt. The other two were 20 foot away and wanted the flag out.

I simply putted first and removed the flag.

It's not exactly difficult.

What happens in that situation if it means you are standing on someone’s line ?

Not all situations are like you mention and I have seen plenty of times where people are further away and want it out but people closer want it back in but won’t put first

And what if it’s in Matchplay

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've still to witness this hokey cokey thing that people talk about, a bit of communication as you get to the green eases any confusion.

I was closest to the pin on Sunday but had a steep 8 foot downhill putt. The other two were 20 foot away and wanted the flag out.

Not everyone has your common sense approach.
I have played with guys that want it in from 3” I kid you not.

I didn’t like the rule, but have become used to having it in from distance but out from 15’ in .
I have changed my mind and do think it’s a good change !!
But the putting it back in from short distance just amazes me.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ah, good point.

If people have tried it and it didn't work, I withdraw my suggestion. Can't argue with hard evidence!
I think it could still possibly be a good idea , maybe using a lightweight plastic cone shaped cup on the bottom of the pin , instead of a heavy metal flange .
I should maybe patent that.:eek:

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
What happens in that situation if it means you are standing on someone’s line ?

Not all situations are like you mention and I have seen plenty of times where people are further away and want it out but people closer want it back in but won’t put first

And what if it’s in Matchplay

Not an issue for me. There must also have been about 100+ sets of feet walked over the green, am I going to worry about another person standing on my line?

Also I can repair any damage now.

I'm not saying what I do is correct or anyone is wrong, I just can't see the big issues that people harp on about. I think flag in is a great change.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Very simple. If someone wants the flag in, they putt first and then the flag comes out. Surely not a million miles from someone standing there and attending. Let the "in" putt first and crack on. Seems very simple to me

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
There isn't a problem even if people want it back in because it takes a few seconds to address and putt and takes 2 seconds for a flag to be replaced.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site

Same, the flag is in until (or if) someone wants it out, then its out. Overall there's less flag in/out than before because it doesn't get pulled out on every green

Although i will admit that I saw my mum do the hokey cokey back in 1976 and it scarred me a bit so I've never really been a fan o_O

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Not everyone has your common sense approach.
I have played with guys that want it in from 3” I kid you not.

I didn’t like the rule, but have become used to having it in from distance but out from 15’ in .
I have changed my mind and do think it’s a good change !!
But the putting it back in from short distance just amazes me.

As equally then is taking it out for short distances...?

I haven't reached a settled decision on what I want for the wee ones. It just depends how I feel and what has gone before for me.

If the flag is in and I am 15" away - I might well have it taken out if previously I've hit one firmly at the flag from that distance and missed. If previously I've holed with the flag in - and the flag is out - I might well ask for it to be put in.

In general I think the new rule is good and like others have not seen much evidence of players engaging in a waggle dance around the flag as they putt out.

Last edited:

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As equally then is taking it out for short distances...?

I haven't reached a settled decision on what I want for the wee ones. It just depends how I feel and what has gone before for me.

If the flag is in and I am 15" away - I might well have it taken out if previously I've hit one firmly at the flag from that distance and missed. If previously I've holed with the flag in - and the flag is out - I might well ask for it to be put in.

In general I think the new rule is good and like others have not seen much evidence of players engaging in a waggle dance around the flag as they putt out.

Your third sentence says it all ,I can hear the music for the Hokey Kokey now.

MartynB

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The course I played today day had an extra collar inside the hole and above the cup liner I guess to protect the edge/rim, never seen this before. Google tells me they are called hole stabilising rings.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
The course I played today day had an extra collar inside the hole and above the cup liner I guess to protect the edge/rim, never seen this before. Google tells me they are called hole stabilising rings.
And they are illegal unless the nature of the soil requires them.