Putting with flag in - unintended consequences

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Can you or is it general wear and tear.?
Bit of a minefield.

The times I have carried out a repair it blatantly obvious it is damage and with the things on the ends of the putters you can often see where the shaft has been lent against the side of the hole.

D

Deleted member 15344

It’s not - it was introduced to help the pace of play yet people are going to find ways to use it to help performance - as some of the pros have said , that’s not right.

Listening to Lewis and McGinley they both think the pro game will bring in Comp Rule to not allow it

And it won’t speed up play and as can be seen will cause issues around the hole in terms of damage

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Any reason they can't have the same type of pins used on practice putting greens ?. The ones that have a cup type flange on the bottom of the pin, that lifts the ball out.

Last edited:

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Quick question to which I am sure lots of you will answer. When putting with the flag in must the ball hit the bottom of the hole to be deemed holed or can it just rest against the flag and the player can pick it out as it rests between the flag and the edge of the hole ?

D

Deleted Member 1156

Quick question to which I am sure lots of you will answer. When putting with the flag in must the ball hit the bottom of the hole to be deemed holed or can it just rest against the flag and the player can pick it out as it rests between the flag and the edge of the hole ?
Are you testing peoples knowledge or do you not know the answer?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

It can be resting against the flagstick and if any part of the ball is below the surface the green a player is deemed to have holed out.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site

I believe it changed this year, so that just a bit of the ball needs to be below the hole.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
It’s not - it was introduced to help the pace of play yet people are going to find ways to use it to help performance - as some of the pros have said , that’s not right.

Listening to Lewis and McGinley they both think the pro game will bring in Comp Rule to not allow it

And it won’t speed up play and as can be seen will cause issues around the hole in terms of damage
Can you do that? Create your own rules to over ride the actual rules?

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Thanks folks for the replies so far.

Definitely making the the hole bigger. On the instances I've seen, the top diameter of the "hole" is now, give or take, an inch bigger than the bottom of tbe hole. And I am absolutely convinced it is picking the ball out of the hole while the flag is still in that is the cause.

I am noncommittal on puttjng with flag or out - and of tbe games I've played, general concensus is leaving in for long putts, and out for shorter. But, whenever the ball has been holed with the flag in, I have not yet seen anyone take out the flag before trying to retrieve their ball.

I find that very difficult to believe. Optical illusion the way you are looking at the hole? Poorly cut/installed holes? Saturated greens? If the hole is stretching by an inch then I think your greens have playability issues, no way that a hole should deform that amount ever!

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I find that very difficult to believe. Optical illusion the way you are looking at the hole? Poorly cut/installed holes? Saturated greens? If the hole is stretching by an inch then I think your greens have playability issues, no way that a hole should deform that amount ever!
Yes that does sound a lot.
To the OP Next time you play put a six inch ruler in your bag and see what it really is.
Let us know.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Can you do that? Create your own rules to over ride the actual rules?
No. They would have to change the rules to make it a LR to permit putting with the flagstick in - although there is a precedent when the European Tour permitted repair of spike marks for a period as a trial.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

Can't see it happening as its the first step toward bifurication and one set of rules for the pros and another for the amateur game

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site

No, its not a lot really, but yes I am only estimating at the moment.

Effectively, hands repeatedly going in and out of the narrow gap between flackstick and side of hole have compressed/eroded/rounded the turf edge of the rim. The "wear" extends to a max of about 1cm from the true edge of the hole and leaves a very gentle incline from there into the hole proper. And 1cm all the way round is give or take an inch extra diameter.

But yes, I will be measuring next time out & I will be passing it to our chair of H&C. Its certainly enough to be concerned.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I can quite easily get my ball out without touching the lip of the hole and I certainly don't damage it in anyway.

Some cumbersome people out there obviously!