Putting lessons

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I have had lessons and be lucky enough to have had a session at a SAM lab which was revealing to say the least. Lessons are a good idea especially if they cover some green reading stuff (double breaks etc) as well as a look at technique. For me, holing out well from 2-5 feet as often as possible is important to me. I also use a visio template and gates to make sure my stroke is back and through and I can start it on line

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
I agree that people often hole less than people think.
19 may or may not be big enough to draw some conclusions depending on length. But the actual point I was making is that although the make rate from 30 feet is around 5% for PGA pros. This does not mean if the average length of putt is 30 feet the make rate would be around 5%.

Agree, the assumption is a normal distribution around 30ft. One 190ft putt and 18 tap ins would have a much higher make rate than that of 19 10ft putts.

G1z1

Visit site
Had10 attempts at birdie today and got 1 ? actually thing the greens are the problem and not me. Every green is ruff and have been for months I know it’s winter but come on.
9D422F0D-B589-4038-9C2F-D0E22BB50848.jpeg506E5F83-25AE-4CEA-AD6F-057F7951A6F7.jpeg754A1507-5CF3-4EF6-B7CE-4E47C4F6A132.jpeg

HeftyHacker

Visit site
They do look bobblier than a bobbly thing to be fair.

Ours are similar at the moment and its made putting a bit of a lottery. The amount of putts which suddenly deviate about 6 inches from the hole as they lose pace and hit a bump has made putting a little redundant.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Watching Ernie Els Chronicles of a Champion Golfer and was reminded of this thread.
He got to a stage where he couldn't putt from a foot, decided he needed to do something and got himself a putting coach. He won the Open 6 months later.
So putting lessons can help some people... even the greats.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Agree, the assumption is a normal distribution around 30ft. One 190ft putt and 18 tap ins would have a much higher make rate than that of 19 10ft putts.
Yup but the actual 5% quoted isn't for putts averaging 30 feet it is for putts between 30 and 31 feet.
If you have a range of putts averaging 30 feet that are normally distributed because the make rate increases more rapidly the nearer you get to thehole than it decreases the further you go (it goes from 5 to100% in one direction whereas it only falls from 5 to 0 % in the other direction). The actual make rate of putts averaging 30 feet will be higher than the make rate of putts that are all at 30 feet.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I remember a guy who used to aim left and 'slice' his putts, I wonder if he's still doing it. :whistle:

Maybe

I have no idea to be honest. I don’t think I see the right line when I’m addressing the putt but I make my share and other areas of my game need more “attention”. ?

D

Deleted member 23344

Putting lessons really helped me … using a line on the ball, making sure eyes over the ball, reading greens, not looking up too early after hitting the ball, etc.