Putting Games (Practise)

DaveyG

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
As I mentioned on another thread I am going to Fuerteventura for a week and want to take advantage of the weather... I get ridiculously bored when lying on a sunbed all day and normally take myself off for an hour somewhere leaving the missus to chill.

I have "negotiated" 2 rounds of golf when I am out there but will definitely have an hour on the range a day as I am stopping at a Golf resort & Spa... I have worked on my chipping loads lately and it has really benefited my game and with decent dry greens available I am going to put in a good amount of practise on my putting.

I normally put 5 balls down in random places/lengths and set myself a target of say 8 to par the game (meaning I need a couple of 1 putts) but get bored fairly quickly doing this.

Does anyone have any recommendations of ways to keep it interesting and what has worked for them?

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Depending on the size of the putting green, you could play every hole in a set order and obviously try to get down in as few putts as possible.

I also place 4 balls 3 ft from the hole in a square and try to hole everyone. Good for practicing shorter putts.

Another "game" I sometimes play is to lay 3 clubs in a horseshoe shape around the hole with the hole at the "entrance" to the horseshoe in the middle. Walk 10 feet or so back and then attempt to hole 5 putts. Any that miss have to finish inside the horse shoe without touching the clubs. For every putt you hole out you score -2. For every miss inside the horse shoe without touching the club is -1, inside the horse shoe but having touched a club is +1 and for outside the horse shoe (because you either missed completely left right or too short or hit it too hard and it rolled over the back of the clubs is +3. Purpose is obviously to try and shoot -10). You can mix it up by trying from different directions to narrow the target and from different distances.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
5 balls around a hole 2 feet away so different approaches- hole them all, miss one start all 5 again.

After holing all 5 repeat at 3 feet then 5 feet- You'll feel the pressure build when your on level 3 and 2 putts to go.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
5 balls around a hole 2 feet away so different approaches- hole them all, miss one start all 5 again.

After holing all 5 repeat at 3 feet then 5 feet- You'll feel the pressure build when your on level 3 and 2 putts to go.

I do this but with 4 balls and an imaginary compass face, putt one from N, E, S and W from 2ft, then move to 3ft, 5ft, 7ft etc etc.. miss one, you start again. Got to 9ft once, then almost threw my putter across the car park!

DaveyG

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

Good stuff thanks, got plenty of things to look at here...

I do this but with 4 balls and an imaginary compass face, putt one from N, E, S and W from 2ft, then move to 3ft, 5ft, 7ft etc etc.. miss one, you start again. Got to 9ft once, then almost threw my putter across the car park!

haha cheers gents, the idea of this and feeling the pressure sounds good... I will tell myself I cant leave until I do 3, 5 & 7 ft - If you never see a comment from me again I am still in Fuerteventura :rolleyes:

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
image.jpg

Just read a book that suggest this routine. It not only gives different length putts but also different breaking putts. Not tried it myself as the greens are not good now..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 11

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I tend to measure 3, 5 and 7 feet putts from four points (N,S,E &W) and make three putts in row from each distance per station before moving on. Try and find a hole on a slight slope so you have up and downhill and left and right breakers