Putting - No Practice Swing?

Springveldt

Visit site
Think about all of the other sports you play.

Do you take a practice throw or kick?
That's a good point, I don't take practice throws when I'm throwing my socks into the washing basket from the other side of the room, I just instinctively know how far to throw them.

I'm playing tonight, I'll give this no practice putts things a go.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Worth a watch

Now there’s a thing…

Reflecting on my own current putting (difficulties - it’s not great) I actually feel I putt better when I take less time with stance and focus over the ball and on the strike. Indeed if I putt a-la Bobby Locke I feel better and hole more. But as my thinking tells me such an address stance is ‘wrong’ I generally don’t use it…until I have missed a few shorties and then I bring it into play. What wonky thinking. I know what works for me but I don’t use it as I think it’s wrong 🙄

Indeed as some who have played with me can attest, my pro encourages me to adopt ‘speed golf’ that has me barely pausing after taking my stance and starting my backswing, indeed I almost don’t ‘formally’ address the ball, I just walk up and hit it. And more often than not it goes just fine…and my swing feels great.

Last edited:

chico

Club Champion
Visit site
That's a good point, I don't take practice throws when I'm throwing my socks into the washing basket from the other side of the room, I just instinctively know how far to throw them.

Do you always get them in first time?😉 I don't know if it would be better or worse, just what I usually do. I think that's the hard thing to change.

Springveldt

Visit site
Do you always get them in first time?😉 I don't know if it would be better or worse, just what I usually do. I think that's the hard thing to change.
Depends on the socks really. Some of those trainer socks are too light and fly all over the place, like the cheap plastic footballs that could swerve 3 ways in one shot when I was a kid.

Patster1969

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I will have a couple of practice swings behind the ball, mostly just to let me settle down and also so Shot Scope registers the club - a friend of mine takes no practice swings and his SS missed over half of his shots, so he ended up taking over half an hour to edit his round & fill in the blanks

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

Did it work?

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Did it work?
I now get my socks in basket every time thanks to my practice throw.

Springveldt

Visit site
Did it work?
To be honest, it wasn't much different from my normal putting. Holed a few decent putts and missed a couple of short ones. I'm probably going to stick with it as the practice stroke method just takes more time for no meaningful benefits for me.
Just signed off my round in Shot Scope and it says I was -0.45 shots putting to an average 5 handicap. That's actually an above average putting round for me as I'm losing -1.08 over the last 15 rounds.

We won't talk about the rest of the round or the 4 lost balls.

Springveldt

Visit site
I will have a couple of practice swings behind the ball, mostly just to let me settle down and also so Shot Scope registers the club - a friend of mine takes no practice swings and his SS missed over half of his shots, so he ended up taking over half an hour to edit his round & fill in the blanks
My Shot Scope registers the club as soon as it is near the strap, maybe he has the watch too far up his wrist?

Patster1969

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My Shot Scope registers the club as soon as it is near the strap, maybe he has the watch too far up his wrist?
No idea to be honest but must be something that he is/isn't doing - he has sent back about 4 watches though with the same issue that they are missing over half of his shots.

sjw

Visit site
No idea to be honest but must be something that he is/isn't doing - he has sent back about 4 watches though with the same issue that they are missing over half of his shots.
Shot Scope does recommend that you take practice shots to help detect the club. I'm not sure why, I guess it could have some sort of gyro/accelerometer in it that is used as a quantifier for when you swing? Not sure. I suspect not, but there must be a reason they suggest it, one would've thought.

Patster1969

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Shot Scope does recommend that you take practice shots to help detect the club. I'm not sure why, I guess it could have some sort of gyro/accelerometer in it that is used as a quantifier for when you swing? Not sure. I suspect not, but there must be a reason they suggest it, one would've thought.
That's kind of why I started have a copy of practise swings, partly for the club to register (because as you said, they recommend it) & partly to have a pre-shot routine. I know that my mate doesn't really do practice swings, which could be part of the reason behind his watch being a bit hit & miss with registering the shot.
As you said, who knows really

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Never take a practice putt. I very much feel I control the real putt to try and match the practice pace. In my group I probably suffer less with getting pace of greens because of it.

Barking_Mad

Visit site
Are you familiar with this Dr. Izzy Justice and her research?
I know how much credibility I give to something like that appearing on social media.

(For the record, I take practice swings when putting just to get a feel for the stroke)

FWIW. 10:05 to start.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
1st tee, a couple of full practice swings to loosen/warm up.

Out on the course, a few vague swishes to loosen up. In no way does it resemble the swing needed to hit the shot - I’m just visualising at this point.

On the green, as above.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I watched some of the FedEx last night. Viktor takes a practice swing on his putts. I'm tempted to copy the guy about to win $18m, after he won $3m last weekend, rather than the good doctor 😄.

Whatever works for you.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I never take a practice swing while putting.
I do however take 2 or 3 rehearsal swings to get the feel for the length of swing required for the length of putt.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Interesting, can you explain the difference between a practice swing and a rehearsal swing please?

I'd say a practice swing is something I do on the range/practice putting green to generally check/improve my technique.
A rehearsal swing is something I do for a specific situation/putt length.