Putting - No Practice Swing?

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't make any practice swings full stop....
Waste of energy.

Ditto - I have a few swishes with the driver near the first tee to loosen up then every shot including putts are without a practice swing. BUT, my results are no recommendation for that approach.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Are you familiar with this Dr. Izzy Justice and her research?
I know how much credibility I give to something like that appearing on social media.

(For the record, I take practice swings when putting just to get a feel for the stroke)

D

Deleted member 25172

Are you familiar with this Dr. Izzy Justice and her research?
I know how much credibility I give to something like that appearing on social media.

(For the record, I take practice swings when putting just to get a feel for the stroke)
I'd be highly surprised if Dr Justice would see himself as a female. I could be wrong though! :D

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The only time I take any sort of pre-shot swing is
1. To warm/loosen up if I have been standing around for some time.
2. If I am attempting a 'non standard' shot.

Always seen it as a good practice swing is a wasted swing and there is no guarantee I will do the same thing for a shot.

Skypilot

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think a bigger danger is over thinking when putting.
I'm convinced this is what is messing with Rory McIlroy's head.
That missed eagle putt :confused:
He fussed and flapped, then tried to tickle it into the hole.
Who tries to work out the break on a two footer. Aim straight and just firm enough to keep it straight.
I could hardly watch the next shot for birdie.

paddyjk

Banned
Visit site
Saw this doing the rounds on social media last week. No idea who the bloke is but:

View attachment 49124

Any truth in this do we think? The practise swing benefit for me (or so I thought) was to get a feel for how hard you're going to hit the putt. He seems to think this is not of any benefit?

Anyone here not bother practise swinging on putts and find it helps?
Give it go and report back. I'd be interested to hear how it went. I'd say you have to commit to it for a month or so

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
No practice putting stroke for me
I'm very much 'let the brain sort out the pace' I just need to start it on my chosen line

I also did the 'look at the hole' putting stroke for several months, worked fine and better on long putts

And I tinker with one handed putting on the practice Green with an upright stance, which is pretty great for line and pace but not used it on course yet

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I didn't look too closely at the picture (and even now wouldn't be able to tell Dr. Izzy's sex for sure), I just went on the often used contraction of Isobel. :)
Izzy Justice is a South African neurophysiologist I believe who seems to do a lot of research on brain waves and golf particularly putting.
Must admit when I've heard him speak I've been slightly sceptical but I'm probably wrong.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I remember Greg Chalmers (Aussie who has been a top putter on the pga tour for years) saying that he has a few practice swings standing behind the putt when he's looking down the line, but once he sets up over the ball he just takes a look and fires.
Works for him.
If you're gonna miss, miss quick!

Albo

Visit site
I’m not sure how you get a feel for distance in a practice swing for a putt when you don’t contact the ball and have no idea how far it may or may not have gone.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I’m not sure how you get a feel for distance in a practice swing for a putt when you don’t contact the ball and have no idea how far it may or may not have gone.
In your brain you're obviously trying to feel how hard you intend to hit it. But perhaps the point of the Tweet from this guy is that a practice stroke doesn't actually achieve that.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
In your brain you're obviously trying to feel how hard you intend to hit it. But perhaps the point of the Tweet from this guy is that a practice stroke doesn't actually achieve that.
Think about all of the other sports you play.

Do you take a practice throw or kick?

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site

I’m not a practice stroke player but I'd never thought of other games/sports doing practice 'shots' but I suppose most of those have a standard playing surface area/court etc whereas golf doesn’t, so what's practiced & learned in training for those shots applies equally when moved to a competitive game.
Still other games have nets and other catchment areas to catch a ball struck with more force than required (it only has to cross a line so ‘pace’ isn’t the same kind of issue)

Golf is kinda unique in its range of skills & difficulty (toughest game ever invented :sneaky: )

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
After I have visualised the shot I want to play I will carry out a club ‘movement’ in my shot prep process appropriate to that shot and that will connect the visualisation to the swing I am about to make to execute the shot I have visualised….and this applies equally to putts. When putting my prep when over the ball comprises three swings of the club that enable me to visualise the path of the clubhead through the strike and feel the weight of putt.

I never do any FULL practice swings, indeed the club movement I make might physically/mechanically have little or nothing to do with the actual swing, it’s just a ‘trigger’ to a ‘feel’. See Hogan’s description of his ‘waggle’.

I did recently mention to an academy member who I mentor, that the short brisk/stabbie movements of the club he makes at address immediately prior to him starting the swing might actually be triggering the wrong thinking/impulses as he tends to snatch from the top of a very abbreviated backswing. As soon as he stopped doing it he got a smoother and less abrupt transition.

Last edited:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

Golf is a repetitive action though. Same as darts or snooker you can argue but they don't lend themselves to a practice shot. Saying that, you sometime see a snooker player bringing the cue back and forth a couple of times before taking the shot.

Other sports are more instinctive so the practice swing doesn't help at all.