Putting and Alignment

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
How good is your alignment when putting? I mean without standing behind the ball or anywhere else, could you walk up to your ball, place your putter behind the ball and given a 15foot putt on a snooker table flat putting surface make the putt?

How many would you make if your were given three tries?

1 - You made the last as the first two were pushed/pulled/left short.

2 - You sunk two, you push/pulled/left short the first one and compensated accordingly.

3 - You made all three, alignment spot on for the start.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Traditionally I would always miss to the right. Not by much but just enough. Earlier this year my son pointed out where i was going wrong, taking the putter out basically, and I changed how I putted. I changed my putter, one with a little more weight, I stand slightly more upright which helps keep me square and my take back is different. I now make more straight putts than ever before.

I'm not arrogant to state that I would make 3-3 from 15ft as in reality that is doubtful but on a good day I would certainly threaten more than before. I'd probably be option number 1 but from 15ft would that be too bad?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Traditionally I would always miss to the right. Not by much but just enough. Earlier this year my son pointed out where i was going wrong, taking the putter out basically, and I changed how I putted. I changed my putter, one with a little more weight, I stand slightly more upright which helps keep me square and my take back is different. I now make more straight putts than ever before.

I'm not arrogant to state that I would make 3-3 from 15ft as in reality that is doubtful but on a good day I would certainly threaten more than before. I'd probably be option number 1 but from 15ft would that be too bad?

No idea how many I'd make and would suggest the tour average is only around 15%. I work hard on my basics including alignment and aim (putting mirror and putting gate) but I would expect to give each a good run and hopefully learn enough from the first two to give the last a really good chance

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
PGA tour average is about 22% from 15ft. So I think if I get 1 in 3 I’d be happy but reality I think 0.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Pace control is more important.

As long as your straight enough on those 3 footers and under you can miss longer putts by 3 feet either side.

I’m pretty well aligned but its for finishing the job. Record is 51 3 footers in a row!

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
No idea how many I'd make and would suggest the tour average is only around 15%. I work hard on my basics including alignment and aim (putting mirror and putting gate) but I would expect to give each a good run and hopefully learn enough from the first two to give the last a really good chance

This for me too. I too spend a lot of time working on my alignment etc and doing putting drills. Actually enjoy it in a strange kind of way

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
I mentioned alignment as different shape putters and affect a persons alignment in different ways. I had a putter, a half mallet with a round back, but on a putter fitting the fitter placed a laser pointer over the hole, placed a mirror on my putter face and ball on the ground about 10-15feet away from the hole, he had my line up the put with the ball in place, got me to close my eyes while he checked, I did this three times to make sure the alignment was the same each time, on the last setup, he had me look to where I was aiming, where the putter face was pointing. I was 24 inches right of target.

Yet when on the course I rarely missed right, from what I thought was good alignment was infact very poor and with my stroke I had obviously compensated a lot to get the ball close to the hole.

So I was just wondering about others alignement, is it correct or is your putting stroke compensating for bad alignment with you subconcioulsy making changes.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Pace control is more important.

As long as your straight enough on those 3 footers and under you can miss longer putts by 3 feet either side.

I’m pretty well aligned but its for finishing the job. Record is 51 3 footers in a row!

That's good 👍 I quite often in the winter set myself a target of 100 consecutive 3 footers in a row. Knees start to knock when in the 90's. That's on a perfect indoor green though - not as easy on the course with imperfections and slopes and a card in the hand!