Putting a new ball into play

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm posting this in Lounge rather than Rules section because I'm more interested in the "spirit" of doing this, as I know what the Rules say...

Last week, nice drive on par 5.
Then hoicked 2nd shot left and it rolled into trees. Loads of brambles in there.
No point in playing a Provisional - I was pretty sure I would find the ball but equally sure that I wouldn't like it.
I considered just putting a new ball in play from where I played the 2nd (thus rendering first ball Lost) but thought it wasn't the "done thing".
So went and found first ball which WAS unplayable in brambles. So I dropped it within 2 club lengths (not a great place) and carried on and ended up with 8.

What do you think of "abandoning" a ball that's in the doodoo and putting a new ball in play?
Is it something that you are reluctant to do, or is it a sensible move sometimes and we should do it more often?

NorwichBanana

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Sensible. Nothing to stop you calling it 'lost' and finding it.

Played in a match play a few years ago, stood on the 3rd tee and opponent topped his 3 wood into trees. As it was off an elevated tee we didn't see it. His PP said "ill declare it lost' so if they found it they didn't have to worry about the trouble it may have been in.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Absolutely fine doing that, I wouldn't hesitate nor would I be miffed if someone else did it.
Just don't say ''that's lost'', you'll get told off ;)

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sensible. Nothing to stop you calling it 'lost' and finding it.

Played in a match play a few years ago, stood on the 3rd tee and opponent topped his 3 wood into trees. As it was off an elevated tee we didn't see it. His PP said "ill declare it lost' so if they found it they didn't have to worry about the trouble it may have been in.

You can't declare a ball lost.

In answering the OP, yes I have done it once. Quite a discussion explaining that I could do it though.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I wouldn't think there's anything wrong with doing that. You will have to explain to those you're playing with that you're not playing a provisional though, as I think people tend to assume it's a provisional you're hitting if you say nothing. (Even though we know you're supposed to declare a provisional if it is one.)

I can't remember too many times I've done it. Even if it looks bad I tend to think if there's like 10% chance it'll be playable I'll take the chance on it. If I've seen the ball fly through heavy undergrowth and there's pretty much 0% chance of even finding it, let alone it being playable, then I might play a new ball from where I am. But I would have to be that sure. And then I wouldn't even bother going over to look for it obviously anyway.

D

Deleted member 16999

If by putting another ball in play and you walk off with a 6 or 7, absolutely it was the right decision, if it’s 9 or 10 then you’ll be wondering what if?
Nothing wrong in thinking about your options, in fact, at least considering your options is the right thing to do.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I'm posting this in Lounge rather than Rules section because I'm more interested in the "spirit" of doing this, as I know what the Rules say...

Then hoicked 2nd shot left and it rolled into trees. Loads of brambles in there.
No point in playing a Provisional - I was pretty sure I would find the ball but equally sure that I wouldn't like it.
I considered just putting a new ball in play from where I played the 2nd (thus rendering first ball Lost) but thought it wasn't the "done thing".
So went and found first ball which WAS unplayable in brambles. So I dropped it within 2 club lengths (not a great place) and carried on and ended up with 8.

What do you think of "abandoning" a ball that's in the doodoo and putting a new ball in play?
Is it something that you are reluctant to do, or is it a sensible move sometimes and we should do it more often?

I've never heard of this view when reloading for stroke/distance (even if no search has taken place)

If its in the cludge and I don't want to look for it then just drop it (or tee it) and whack away

Genuine Q: Under what circumstances might it be frowned upon/not the done thing?

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Lots of folk in the same situation forget you can go back behind the gorse bush as far back as you like in line with the pin, can open up a better option that the rubbish drop you took

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

Just do it...why make the game harder than it is.

Did it a month or so back in a medal. Topped a tee shot towards some horrid gorse in an area of general horrid stuff - it might have got through and have been sitting lovely - but I reckoned the probability of that was very low.

As it was a short par 4 I just said that I was putting another ball in play (I know that I don't actually have to say these words - but it's always best to do so to make sure PPs know what you are doing) rather than risk finding it and have a 7 or more staring me in the face. I put my new ball in perfect place - then stuck it on the green. Missed the putt - but the chance of the 5 had been there.

Would never have got a 5 and would have had great difficulty getting a 6 if I'd found my first ball and had to drop out of the gorse into somewhere else almost as horrid.

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just do it...why make the game harder than it is.

Did it a month or so back in a medal. Topped a tee shot towards some horrid gorse in an area of general horrid stuff - it might have got through and have been sitting lovely - but I reckoned the probability of that was very low.

As it was a short par 4 I just said that I was putting another ball in play (I know that I don't actually have to say these words - but it's always best to do so to make sure PPs know what you are doing) rather than risk finding it and have a 7 or more staring me in the face. I put my new ball in perfect place - then stuck it on the green. Missed the putt - but the chance of the 5 had been there.

Would never have got a 5 and would have had great difficulty getting a 6 if I'd found my first ball and had to drop out of the gorse into somewhere else almost as horrid.

OP is about putting another one in play after her bad 2nd shot though. Not a drive. That's why people could think it's not the "done thing"

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Lots of folk in the same situation forget you can go back behind the gorse bush as far back as you like in line with the pin, can open up a better option that the rubbish drop you took

Only if you find the original ball though. You can't estimate where it finished and drop from that point.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Of course you can take another option, declare the ball unplayable and go back to where it was last played from. +

Better to play a provisional for speed of play, as long as you trust the people in your group not to go and find the first one if it isn't sitting out in the open. :D

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
don't see why not, if you don't say provisional the 2nd ball is the one in play then anyway so no need to even look;)
As I said earlier - although we know that to be true, I feel like the majority of golfers would assume you're hitting a provisional if you didn't say anything. Obviously the answer is to always state what your doing either way, should save an argument later.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
As I said earlier - although we know that to be true, I feel like the majority of golfers would assume you're hitting a provisional if you didn't say anything. Obviously the answer is to always state what your doing either way, should save an argument later.

They can assume all they want - but if someone doesn't declare a provisional and then tries to play their first, I'll always advise that they shouldn't and tell them the potential repercussions.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Only if you find the original ball though. You can't estimate where it finished and drop from that point.

Very true, had a guy say he couldn't find it but it was definately in that bush and he was going back, we said but you can't be absolutely sure - you have to find your ball, arguement ensued and we just let him get on with it because he was a grumpy old bag and we were beating them comfortably anyway.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
So, for the sake of clarity... if youve hit one into a nasty place and you want to put a new ball in play under penalty (for whatever reason) ... what must you say and do?

Drop and hit another ball from where you've just played and DO NOT declare it a provisional BEFORE you hit it.